Author Topic: Build thread for my 865  (Read 26711 times)

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #75 on: December 17, 2020, 03:52:49 pm
Wise ass answers are okay by me as long as they're informative.

Gremlinsteve

• Grease Monkey
Reply #76 on: December 17, 2020, 04:10:37 pm
My build is using there clutch
I’ll try to report how it compares to stock

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #77 on: December 17, 2020, 06:10:35 pm
Personally, I'm leaning towards the cam and high compression pistons and leaving it at that.  I'm strictly a street rider and both kits together come at under $700 if I install them myself.  I've got plenty of tools and even though I live in NYC I'm fortunate enough to have a warm place where I can work on the bike.  I figure that's a good project for next winter.  My last bike was a '76 Sportster XLCH and I never replaced anything more complicated than the gas tank but if I don't lose my nerve or get talked out of it by sage voices I'm gonna go for it.  All those Allen Milllyard videos are having an effect.  I don't see myself crafting custom parts with an angle grinder though.

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #78 on: December 17, 2020, 07:21:12 pm
Boylan, have you looked at the dyno results Revelry has posted going that route? They have separate dyno charts for stock; air flow, cam and piston; and air flow, cam, piston and Powertronic on their second tuner video. Without the Powertronic, torque wavers considerably.

I've been comparing a fuel tuned version against stock, staring, rev matching for power output and I don't think I can justify $3k for what amounts to 4 or 5 hp and 3 or 4 ft/lb gains in everything below 5,500 rpm. I love that torque carries higher further and that peak hp is a good +9 over stock, but a lot of that power and pull sits at rpm that equates to significantly illegal speeds.

I haven't decided anything for certain. Installing the cam and pistons yourself will save big money. I'm not sure I'm ready for that now, but like you, maybe next winter.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #79 on: December 17, 2020, 08:38:06 pm
Thanks, JL.  I'll look at the video again.

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #80 on: December 18, 2020, 01:25:12 pm
No problem. I actually took screenshots to make it easier on myself to compare. I'll attach them here.

Gremlinsteve

• Grease Monkey
Reply #81 on: December 23, 2020, 03:03:28 am
In preparation for the other parts I installed my tec 2-1 tonight.  Sounds healthy

I’m running without the baffel

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #82 on: December 24, 2020, 11:41:32 am
I may be wrong but (mis)? remember tec bike saying on their vid that running without the baffle is not good for the engine. If that is the case I don't know why they'd make the baffle removable. I'm baffled. iirc they also said the booster plug was no use with these pipes. After giving it serious plugging before.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #83 on: December 24, 2020, 01:25:39 pm
I’ve watched most of those videos more than once and this is news to me. It’s possible I missed something.  In which video did he say running without the baffle is bad for the bike? And what about the booster plug?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 01:28:39 pm by Blazes Boylan »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #84 on: December 24, 2020, 02:10:20 pm
I’ve watched most of those videos more than once and this is news to me. It’s possible I missed something.  In which video did he say running without the baffle is bad for the bike? And what about the booster plug?

I can't tell you which episode but I do remember him making that statement. For me it took a bit of the shine off. It might have been an ad lib based on a extrapolation of a theory.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #85 on: December 24, 2020, 06:56:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4sYnCcJXY
At 18 minutes he says no need for Power Commander etc, can't find him saying about the baffle so apologise if I'm mistaken.

Gremlinsteve

• Grease Monkey
Reply #86 on: December 24, 2020, 07:59:04 pm
At the end of this build it will or should be getting tuned.   So I’m not so worried about it

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: December 25, 2020, 05:41:16 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4sYnCcJXY
At 18 minutes he says no need for Power Commander etc, can't find him saying about the baffle so apologise if I'm mistaken.

Check out from 3.25 sec https://youtu.be/2Td8w9hcHu0
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #88 on: December 25, 2020, 12:27:27 pm
From looking at that video, it seems to me that the "db killer" likely supports the back end of the perforated pipe inside the can. I suspect that the perforated pipe inside may crack from road bumps or vibration if the back end of it is not supported.

I have not seen the inside, but that was the impression I got from the video.

Regarding the full kit and performance, I get the impression it is for looks and sound, but not much for performance. Price is good for a full stainless kit.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #89 on: December 25, 2020, 12:45:32 pm
From looking at that video, it seems to me that the "db killer" likely supports the back end of the perforated pipe inside the can. I suspect that the perforated pipe inside may crack from road bumps or vibration if the back end of it is not supported.
That makes all the sense in the world to me. Good catch!
Without a connection at the rear end, that is a very long "lever" to worry and crack the front seam of the inner tube.
I haven't seen the DB baffle but strong chance it is an off the shelf unit made by another company. And that would make good sense to keep the price low.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R