Author Topic: Southern California Shops  (Read 1001 times)

CaliforniaGT

• Scooter
on: December 15, 2023, 09:44:36 am
I may be coming across a continental GT that has a seized motor was wondering if anyone has recommendations in Southern California that could take a look at the bike and possibly rebuild the engine. If not I can remove the engine and ship it to someone any recommendations on someone that can accommodate thanks!

CaliforniaGT

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:48:11 pm
Anyone anyone ?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 12:58:09 am
I find runners for $3k. They seem to be like the new Triumphs, use them and discard when terminally broken. IF a guy does the work himself you can break even. A locked up engine could be a lot of things, none good. $300-$500 for parts IF you already have a runner. $100/hour 3rd party shop rates add up fast.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

CaliforniaGT

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 04:28:28 am
Welp This is what I have so far its a 2014 Cont GT
-Summary: THE MOTOR IS BACKFIRING OUT THE INTAKE, THIS CAN BE CAUSED BY EITHER THE VALVE NOT SEALING CORRECTLY OR THE
CAM TIMING BEING OFF.

Bike is back home, what can I do with a set of tools to diagnose willing to get dirty to get this done.

Mechanic notes
 CHECKED TO SEE IF ENGINE IS GETTING FUEL. ENGINE IS GETTING FUEL. TESTED FOR SPARK. STRONG SPARK IS
PRESENT. PERFORMED COMPRESSION TEST: COMPRESSION IS VERY LOW. TESTED @ 20PSI. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO
START THE BIKE, THE ENGINE IS BACKFIRING OUT THE INTAKE. NEED TO REMOVE VALVE COVER AND CHECK VALVE CLEARANCE AS
N STARTING POINT.

RIE MOVED VALVE COVERS AND INSPECTED VALVES VALVE STEMS ARE NOT BENT AND VALVES APPEAR TO BE OPENING
ANI) CLOSING AS THEY SHOULD WHEN THE MOTOR IS IN ROTATION. THIS MOTOR IS A PUSH ROD MOTOR WITH HYDRAULIC
LIFTERS. NO VALVE ADJUSTMENT CAN BE DONE DUE TO THERE BEING HYDRAULIC LIFTERS.

THE MOTOR IS BACKFIRING OUT THE INTAKE, THIS CAN BE CAUSED BY EITHER THE VALVE NOT SEALING CORRECTLY OR THE
CAM TIMING BEING OFF.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 09:39:35 am
It's a pushrod motor so pulling the head is simple. Download the manual from Hitchcock's and dig in. Checking the cam timing should be done first. A bent/cracked valve or bad valve seat or loose valve seat insert will give similar effects, just different cost options.

You don't know what the dreaded Previous Owner actually did inside. Make sure that there is slack in the intake valve train at TDC, that the valve could actually mechanically go closed. Incorrect assembly or a bad lifter could also be in play.

Unless you like projects or are in love, don't pay real money for this. Problems can propagate. If you like to fix things and get in cheap, great. If you want to just go riding, wait for another running GT to pop up. January thru April (cold weather & tax time) are good for finding deals. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a bent valve.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 03:23:29 pm
Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like a fun project, I'd like to get my hands on a 535 Conti. at some point.

Perhaps an HD or vintage bike mechanic would take the machine on as a side job, but I would think that SoCal rates would be ridiculously expensive.  I agree with AzCal, best to take it on as a DIY.

The RE single is an excellent engine to learn skills on, in my opinion.  Of the machines I've worked on, only a Briggs or Tecumseh side valve engine was simpler.  And the REs are designed to make a mechanics job easy, unlike some other, more famous makes which seem quite the opposite.  One can tear down the entire machine with just one or two special tools required.

What you posted does sound to me to be pointing at the intake valve.

I recommend starting a new thread, in the 535 Conti section of the forum, and leading off with a few pictures of the machine, and a description that includes whatever info. the previous owner or seller told you about the machine.  That will likely elicit more interest and is really more appropriate than posting down here in Tech Tips.

CaliforniaGT

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 02:26:59 am
Thank you both! I hope this seems like a simple valve or timing issue. I have made a video of the bike and will create a new post in the 535 sub.
I have a friend visiting india this week hope to get the parts I need back with him
Thank you again.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 06:35:01 pm
I would speak to Tim at Century Motorcycles…

http://www.centurymotorcycles.net/
ACE Motors - sales & administration