Author Topic: Dead Ignition  (Read 1888 times)

Mike Mason

• Scooter
on: March 21, 2023, 07:35:04 pm
My 2020 Interceptor has died on me. I had a good ride out one day but when I tried it the next day, there was nothing. No idiot lights, nothing. I`ve tested the battery and fuses and they are all good. Just changed the relays for upgrades, still nothing! These new bikes are a bit of a mystery to me. I usually ride bikes with carbs and points. Any ideas out there? Maybe there is a fuse I have missed in a different place. Could it be the side stand switch, had that problem with a Bonneville once...
Mike Mason

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 07:37:28 pm
Bike will start with sidestand switch faulty but will die when put into gear.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 08:24:40 pm
Please do not take this the wrong way... but it happened to me...and I have been riding for a long time...

Is the red switch in the Run/On position?

Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 08:28:58 pm
Also, ignition switch... some issues with those.  I had to replace mine.

If you wiggle the key as you turn/twist it on, does it make a difference? 
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 06:26:49 pm
Hello all. Yes, kill switch is on and I had all the locks changed because of a faulty petrol cap. I did wonder about the ignition switch. If I buy the scanner that Hitchcocks sell will that tell me what is wrong with it?
Mike Mason

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 07:25:17 pm
Hello all. Yes, kill switch is on and I had all the locks changed because of a faulty petrol cap. I did wonder about the ignition switch. If I buy the scanner that Hitchcocks sell will that tell me what is wrong with it?

Unless you have an error code, the scanner is not going to help you on this one...

Just for kicks, swap the relays.  Use the old ones, or just move the ones in there to different location.  To rule out contact issues.

Also, remove the headlight and check the connection to the ignition switch.  Just to make sure it was inserted/connected fully.  If not, it could have pulled out... Since it was replaced, best to double check that first.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

mowerman2005

• Bulleteer
  • 2021 Continental GT650 Ventura Storm
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 08:33:47 pm
Ditto with the ignition switch....I am awaiting a new switch under warranty..... exactly the same symptoms as above, turn on ignition and nothing, give the key a good wiggle in the on position and the electrics come back to life!!!

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 08:36:10 pm
Ditto with the ignition switch....I am awaiting a new switch under warranty..... exactly the same symptoms as above, turn on ignition and nothing, give the key a good wiggle in the on position and the electrics come back to life!!!

From his last update, looks like he got a new ignition switch... reason for asking him to check the actual connection inside the headlight bucket.  Could be it was installed and not seated/inserted correctly and it came off... 
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 08:49:24 pm
What exactly is wrong? Is it not starting or is it just totally no-lights-no-nothing dead?

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 09:58:45 pm
Have you checked the negative battery terminal disconnect? It is under the right side panel.

If that is connected you need to start at the battery and see where you stop getting power.

Power flow is from battery to fuse box, main fuse, then to ignition switch.
I would check with volt meter to see if you have power on both sides of main fuse.

Main relay is actually downstream of main fuse. And not in the ignition circuit.

Battery wiring physically goes to starter before fuse box (according to wiring diagram) but there is no fuse or relay between. So if you have no power at main fuse check connections at starter.

bluebus

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 11:03:24 pm
not posted on here for along time, my inter died no power they had it back at the shop , it was the earth wire behind the lefthand side panel, fitter told me it was the first time he had seen this, hope all sorted soon

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 12:22:47 am
Have you checked the negative battery terminal disconnect? It is under the right side panel.

If that is connected you need to start at the battery and see where you stop getting power.

Power flow is from battery to fuse box, main fuse, then to ignition switch.
I would check with volt meter to see if you have power on both sides of main fuse.

Main relay is actually downstream of main fuse. And not in the ignition circuit.

Battery wiring physically goes to starter before fuse box (according to wiring diagram) but there is no fuse or relay between. So if you have no power at main fuse check connections at starter.
Sorry, negative disconnect is under left panel, not right.

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 04:05:00 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I will check earth lead and power to fuses. I have ordered a new ignition switch just in case. There is currently no power when turning the key on. Will post again when I get it going.
Mike Mason

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 06:12:31 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I will check earth lead and power to fuses. I have ordered a new ignition switch just in case. There is currently no power when turning the key on. Will post again when I get it going.

Remove headlight and check the connection for the ignition switch... make sure the connector is inserted securely/fully.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 12:56:05 pm
Just had a chance, in daylight, to check over the Interceptor. Earth lead is good, Connections to starter motor are tight. Continuity on both leads to starter is good. Plugged in new ignition switch and no change. There is no power to the main fuse and I noticed both clock needles are stuck 2/3rds of the way round. Spade connectors in relay blocks are half pushed out and I am unable to push them back in without damage. These are wired direct to the loom so not easy to replace. Any ideas? I`m about to give up and phone the dealer.
Mike Mason