Author Topic: 1500 miles in...  (Read 1324 times)

pdedse

• Scooter
on: March 19, 2023, 09:29:26 pm
I bought my '22 INT650 second hand back in November, 5 months ago.  Today at some point I hit 1500 miles that I've ridden it, about 2200 total.  I also own a '17 Honda CB1100ex and a Suzuki DR650. 

The RE 350 Classic originally drew me in, mainly because of it's msrp price point, but I also loved the chrome/copper.  But more than one on-line voice said the umph was just not quite enough, so I test road an INT650 and found it just right, and realized I wouldn't want anything less.  Luck would have it that I found a reasonably priced INT the next day. 

I changed the oil, checked / adjusted the valves, added new relays. 

I told myself that I would try this bike out for a year, and then likely sell it, as three bikes is prolly 1 beyond ideal for me.  But as I get older (nearly 60), I feel like I'm in a new phase of wanting to try as many bikes as possible before I...can't!

Only thing is, my INT isn't cooperating.  No mechanical issues and completely fun to ride.  It is absolutely sublime to ride this orange-ya-glad-you-bought-me bike through the curvy, twisty, hilly forest roads south and east of Gresham, OR. 

A three day break from the rains makes one appreciative of riding opportunities!

IFGD

• Gunga Din
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 10:47:29 pm
Same here. Hit 1900 miles today. No issues so far and simply wonderful to ride.

I've always wanted a CB100ex. How does it compare to the Interceptor?

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:59:49 pm
I know the feeling. At 64 years old, I'm going to be whittling the herd down to my BSA B25 Starfire (local car show purposes), my old Husky CR 250 GP (drinking buddy), my DRZ400SM convert (for our crap country and gravel roads), and the new Interceptor 650 for everything else. Love this bike.
Light a fire for a man, you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life.

Oregonstaffy

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:14:02 pm
I've been through a bunch of bikes the last 8 years or so trying to find the perfect garage mate for my Vstrom 1000. At 69 years old, the gigantic heavy cruisers don't draw me in like they did 20 years ago, and after having a TW200 and SR400 I wanted something with more power, something in the middle. The used Interceptor I picked up last summer is just right for local rides around the vineyards and orchards here in Southern Oregon, the Vee is set up for touring and long trips, a perfect pair.

pdedse

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 02:05:45 am
Same here. Hit 1900 miles today. No issues so far and simply wonderful to ride.

I've always wanted a CB100ex. How does it compare to the Interceptor?

The CB1100ex is a great bike.  I have had mine 5 years now and have put on 20k miles.  No issues, although I did have a high/low idle issue with a '14 standard CB1100.  The CB1100 is the most unstressed bike I've every ridden.  It's heavy at 560lbs, but at speed you don't feel its weight.  Very smooth through all gears, enough power nearly all the time.  Just a beautiful bike to look at. 

Fit and finish is a step above that of the INT, but the msrp was also 12k.  I got mine new on sale at 10k, so that helped a lot.  The local rides of 1-2 hours are fun on either bike, but I like the exhaust musicality of the INT more than that of the CB1100, which is downright quiet...not saying that's a bad thing, just that it's quiet.  When I have ear plugs in and I'm on the hiway, the CB1100 could be an electric mc for the lack of engine hum one hears.  So I feel a little more alive on the INT with its "voice".  The CB feels bigger because it is bigger.  I'm just a bit more hunkered down on the INT.  Both super fun for me...both have a lovely look to them. 

re2023

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 03:23:48 am
Got 350 miles on our INT 650 and turned 75 last November. Did the oil change and valve adjustment myself.  pretty easy jobs.  Have a 114,000 miles on our Honda Goldwing.. We winter in Tucson Arizona and we needed a bike here.. Goldwing at home in Missouri..  Really a nice ride, very nimble in the twisties..

IFGD

• Gunga Din
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 08:54:40 pm
The CB1100ex is a great bike.  I have had mine 5 years now and have put on 20k miles.  No issues, although I did have a high/low idle issue with a '14 standard CB1100.  The CB1100 is the most unstressed bike I've every ridden.  It's heavy at 560lbs, but at speed you don't feel its weight.  Very smooth through all gears, enough power nearly all the time.  Just a beautiful bike to look at. 

Fit and finish is a step above that of the INT, but the msrp was also 12k.  I got mine new on sale at 10k, so that helped a lot.  The local rides of 1-2 hours are fun on either bike, but I like the exhaust musicality of the INT more than that of the CB1100, which is downright quiet...not saying that's a bad thing, just that it's quiet.  When I have ear plugs in and I'm on the hiway, the CB1100 could be an electric mc for the lack of engine hum one hears.  So I feel a little more alive on the INT with its "voice".  The CB feels bigger because it is bigger.  I'm just a bit more hunkered down on the INT.  Both super fun for me...both have a lovely look to them. 

Such a nice looking bike. It's a shame they weren't more successful here in the US.

re2023

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 02:45:17 am
Our orange crush with 350 miles

pdedse

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 03:50:51 am
Our orange crush with 350 miles

Looks great! Arizona?  I wonder what's the most popular selling INT650 color. 

Ryu1867

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 01:51:36 am
Just hit the "magic" 500km (300mi) mark and the first service.
4th bike in 2 years; Yamaha SCR950, then a RE Meteor 350, which gave me an appreciation for Royal Enfields. Great bike, but a little lacking in "oomph", so on to a Honda CB500X to try the adventure bike route. Found out it's not for me, so now another RE, a 2023 Baker Express.
Best bike I've ridden in many years! Probably the last bike I'll purchase, but I think I've said that before....
Past: Too many to list
Present: RE Interceptor 650

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 02:29:06 am
Just hit the "magic" 500km (300mi) mark and the first service.
4th bike in 2 years; Yamaha SCR950, then a RE Meteor 350, which gave me an appreciation for Royal Enfields. Great bike, but a little lacking in "oomph", so on to a Honda CB500X to try the adventure bike route. Found out it's not for me, so now another RE, a 2023 Baker Express.
Best bike I've ridden in many years! Probably the last bike I'll purchase, but I think I've said that before....

What was it about the Honda CB500X that you did not like?

It was on my shortlist when trying to decide between it and a KTM 390 Adventure or the Royal Enfield Himalayan
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

Ryu1867

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 03:11:22 am
Nothing wrong with the CB500X.
More the fact that it was a somewhat uncomfortable for me - firm saddle, and footpeg position meant I had slightly pretzeled legs. Plus the tapered shape of the back end would have entailed expensive options for some suitable luggage.
By contrast, the Baker Express has a set of Viking soft bags which fit it perfectly.
Past: Too many to list
Present: RE Interceptor 650