Author Topic: Trips planned for this year  (Read 827 times)

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
on: March 17, 2023, 09:43:20 pm
I’m in the final throes of getting my trips planned for this year. The 350 and I are off to Brittany in May for two weeks, one with the vintage club I belong to where I’m just tagging along and one with another group that I’m leading. I’ll post some pics up when it’s done.

I’m still thinking about what to do later in the year, whether to pack the tent and head of up north to the Lake District, the North York Moors or do a ride round Wales.

The other group I belong to will be doing a Devon Weekender based in mid Devon in early September.

The bike should be well over10,000 miles after that lot, might even have to spend out on some new tyres later this year.😁

Next year I’m beginning to think about a trip down to the southern alps in France on it.

Anyone else planning some decent trips?
Deepest dark South Devon, UK

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 10:55:56 pm
Well, my hat is off to you on those plans to do some serious touring on the Meteor! How many km/miles would you plan to cover in one day, on average?

I've done many, many years and hundreds of thousands of kilometres of LD touring in my years, all on machines made for the job, some better than others, most notably the Honda ST1100 (Pan over the pond) for the last 27 years of my touring days.

I would never consider doing a LD tour on a 350, with basically zero weather protection, limited carrying capacity, a three to four hour seat tolerance, a small fuel tank, and way insufficient HP to meet the needs of North American roads. I was supremely spoiled on all counts and I am resigned to toodling about country back roads in the local area now.

Good luck on those upcoming adventures!
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 05:25:30 am

Next year I’m beginning to think about a trip down to the southern alps in France on it.

Every year I do, at least, a week trip with a friend. Without plan except when we go to “club of Newchurch” before named “Tridays”, in Austria. Out of that, we go where sun shines.

I know well south Alps (I’m in), better south Switzerland/ north Italy, so, feel free to ask.
They aren’t strangers, only friends you haven’t ever met.

Going Nowhere

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 07:16:05 am
Having toured Europe and the UK over the years, starting in 1983 two-up on a Meriden Bonneville (with the wife I still have) and using a succession of UJMs, sports bikes, tourers and "adventure bikes" (BMW G/S) I would say the Meteor and Classic 350 are just about the perfect bikes for touring. You can load them up and just chug off anywhere at a human pace that allows you to enjoy your surroundings. I wouldn't bother two-up though - might be a bit cramped.

Having just returned to bikes after a 12 year break, this year I'm planing East to West in the UK (Lowestoft Ness to Lands End). I would love to get to North France if possible and that Royal Enfield International Rally in Greece would be fantastic (but it won't happen for me!)

Good luck with your travels.

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 09:29:53 am
Well, my hat is off to you on those plans to do some serious touring on the Meteor! How many km/miles would you plan to cover in one day, on average?

I've done many, many years and hundreds of thousands of kilometres of LD touring in my years, all on machines made for the job, some better than others, most notably the Honda ST1100 (Pan over the pond) for the last 27 years of my touring days.

I would never consider doing a LD tour on a 350, with basically zero weather protection, limited carrying capacity, a three to four hour seat tolerance, a small fuel tank, and way insufficient HP to meet the needs of North American roads. I was supremely spoiled on all counts and I am resigned to toodling about country back roads in the local area now.

Good luck on those upcoming adventures!

From doing the John O Groats to Lands End run last year, 150 to 200 is a comfortable target. It doesn’t sound like much, but along minor roads with time to stop and enjoy the cake and coffee as you go along, it’s far more civilised than 250 to 300+. And these days I’m not up against a deadline😁

3oro

• Anteater
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 10:08:50 am
In the old days when I served in the army, there was a motorcycle ride, the so-called conditioning ride. Endurance limits increase and long rides turn into enjoyment
Well, see you in Greece

Lexmoto Tempest 125
RE Classic 350

byteofthecherry

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 04:47:28 pm
From doing the John O Groats to Lands End run last year, 150 to 200 is a comfortable target. It doesn’t sound like much, but along minor roads with time to stop and enjoy the cake and coffee as you go along, it’s far more civilised than 250 to 300+. And these days I’m not up against a deadline😁

Were you on Nathan's 'garbage run' then...if so I was on the Meteor…performed faultlessly...going again this year
West Somerset U.K.

Bikes: Himalayan(X2)/Interceptor 650/Meteor/'New' Classic 350J/MotoGuzzi V50/T4/SP1000/Convert/Honda trail CT125(2021)

byteofthecherry

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 04:53:17 pm
I’m in the final throes of getting my trips planned for this year. The 350 and I are off to Brittany in May for two weeks, one with the vintage club I belong to where I’m just tagging along and one with another group that I’m leading. I’ll post some pics up when it’s done.

I’m still thinking about what to do later in the year, whether to pack the tent and head of up north to the Lake District, the North York Moors or do a ride round Wales.

The other group I belong to will be doing a Devon Weekender based in mid Devon in early September.

The bike should be well over10,000 miles after that lot, might even have to spend out on some new tyres later this year.😁

Are you a Dorothy's speed shop fan/participant...???
West Somerset U.K.

Bikes: Himalayan(X2)/Interceptor 650/Meteor/'New' Classic 350J/MotoGuzzi V50/T4/SP1000/Convert/Honda trail CT125(2021)

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 07:50:00 pm
  Good luck to you Curious Wanderer & enjoy, I haven't got a 350 yet but touring duty will definitely be one of it's jobs. 👍

My feelings on touring the slower way is different to Dexter (post#2) I've toured long distances for a similar amount of years (more..😟) on everything from an bicycle to an 1150 (most distance motorised was 11k KM's in three weeks, most on a bicycle 1.4 K in three weeks).
    Despite having a big bike stood there which I use & love I'm planning an upcoming holiday/tour & it'll be on either my bicycle or my 125cc.

Because it's about the details / small things totally missed out on a "as many miles as possible" per day big bike tour. 
     Of course there is no right & wrong, big milage touring is great especially if things you'd like to see are a long way apart or time is limited, but it's about the journey, don't let it go by in a blur..... enjoy it.

I've found the "slow tour" enjoyment factor better & massively cheaper...... (I'm not going to throw in the environmentally friendlier bit...😄).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:58:08 pm by Carl350 »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 09:20:14 pm
  Good luck to you Curious Wanderer & enjoy, I haven't got a 350 yet but touring duty will definitely be one of it's jobs. 👍

My feelings on touring the slower way is different to Dexter (post#2) I've toured long distances for a similar amount of years (more..😟) on everything from an bicycle to an 1150 (most distance motorised was 11k KM's in three weeks, most on a bicycle 1.4 K in three weeks).
    Despite having a big bike stood there which I use & love I'm planning an upcoming holiday/tour & it'll be on either my bicycle or my 125cc.

Because it's about the details / small things totally missed out on a "as many miles as possible" per day big bike tour. 
     Of course there is no right & wrong, big milage touring is great especially if things you'd like to see are a long way apart or time is limited, but it's about the journey, don't let it go by in a blur..... enjoy it.

I've found the "slow tour" enjoyment factor better & massively cheaper...... (I'm not going to throw in the environmentally friendlier bit...😄).

Yup, no right or wrong. Each to their own. While I wasn't an Iron Butt rally type, I was out there for the RIDE and to find and carve the twisty roads around North America, stopping for fuel, food and sleep. Stopping to smell the roses was not on my agenda and I caught the scenery as I was riding through it. On the road at sunrise, when traffic was light, riding until late afternoon to ensure getting accommodation. Longest day ever in the saddle was 1,400 km.

However, now it is BTDT for so many years, I am content (for now anyway) to just toodle about the countryside. If that riding further urge ever comes back, I'll need a bigger, better equipped bike. Goldwing? Honda NT1100?
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 04:46:00 pm
   Apologies Dexter, when I re-read my post it came across as if I was criticizing your way of touring & that wasn’t my intention.
     I still enjoy a long ride, getting miles in, agree 100% about the roads, the countryside & definitely love the twisty stuff......
     But, and I think it’s due to cycle touring I’ve come to appreciate taking it slow as well, there really isn’t need for weather protection or hp, I love seeing the machines people managed to tour on in the early days, how about a “flat tank” bike where replacing a valve at the side of the road was acceptable 😄 It’s a “state of mind” thing I suppose.
   I think the Enfield would make a great relaxed touring machine & am still “on the fence” about getting a Hunter.... I see one in my future though!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:51:46 pm by Carl350 »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 06:22:47 pm
   Apologies Dexter, when I re-read my post it came across as if I was criticizing your way of touring & that wasn’t my intention.

Quite alright. I took no offence to your post all.

I'd better add that on the occasions when my wife went on one of my long tours with me - one memorable one was a meandering ride through some of the highest mountain passes I could find in the American southwest on our way from Vancouver to Tombstone, Arizona - I did have to stop to smell a few roses to keep her happy!  :)

For those with an interest in the old West, Tombstone should be on your bucket list, right down to the re-creation held daily of the gunfight at the OK Corral between the Earp Brothers, Doc Holliday and the Clanton gang. The town centre has been maintained much like it was in the 1880's.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 06:48:40 pm
Are you a Dorothy's speed shop fan/participant...???
Not a participant. I organise my own trips, done it for years, and if friends fancy coming along, they do.

We all manage and organise our own arrangements. Seems to work so far (25 years and counting😂)

Bren

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2023, 10:58:48 pm
Doing Dublin to the Dardanelles Sept 23. Did it in June last year on a 502X. Hard work in the heat. This year using soft luggage with wheels on my new classic. Try lugging 60ltr Shad box up 5 flights with no lift. Big heavy ADVs are fine for the field but the most off road I went was a doggy car park in Rumania. Stuck some floorboards on for the craic. So far enjoying them.