Author Topic: Getting it off the enricher circuit.  (Read 569 times)

Zmanx

• Neophyte
on: March 17, 2023, 08:31:51 pm
Hello to all bullet masochists... ;D
Admittedly i am new to this modern vintage but I do have some experience with vintage bikes from sixties as i owned one in the past.
To the problem...i have purchased US version 07 500 with 260 miles on the clock. Since purchase i have worked through several electrical issues, managed to start it in the old carburator configuration and take it for a ride around the block. After that i rectified exhaust header and muffler issue and used Hitchcock's jet table to select and replace jests in oem mikarb VM 28. In the process I managed to jam sprag clutch - it appears so since the gear is turning the starter continuously now- i plan to rectify that - i just removed the starter for now. Here is the issue; the bike runs fine on enricher circuit, if i attempt to take it off of it it dies. Main jet 120, idle 27.5, needle P0 . I kept dropping the needle believing that perhaps it is to rich and it is flooding...now i have no idea where to go from here ..

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 08:53:58 pm
I'd wonder if it's lean, not necessaritly through incorrect jetting but through not enough fuel. Check the slow running circuit for blockages (shouldn't be because it's a new jet but worth blowing through the drillings in the carb). Float height too low? Insufficient fuel flow? Some of the taps barely let through a dribble of fuel. Maybe worth checking the pilot screw setting?

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 09:29:47 pm
G’day Zmanx

Quite often when these carbs sit for a while just changing to new jets isn’t quite enough and as stinkwheel says it’s most likely the passageway behind the pilot jet blocked if it wont idle with out choke . A thorough cleaning of the passageway is in order and hopefully some cleaning  fluid can be seen to get through.

Also sometimes removing the idle mixture screw and a clean behind that is good practice as well.

Good luck

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 07:56:29 am
FWIW, my tuppence worth, I agree with the above - clean the carb making sure all passages are clear with carb cleaner, compressed air, maybe ultrasonic cleaner if available. And will also second Stinkwheel's comment about the fuel tap. My Bullet kept having fuelling issues until I invested in a freer-flowing tap.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 11:54:01 am
+1 to all of the above, also check the air vent in the fuel tank cap while you're investigating.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...