Author Topic: Flasher problem  (Read 1360 times)

Naffa

• Happy Meteorite
  • Scooter
on: March 15, 2023, 06:47:46 pm
I think this is my first post here so please be gentle. I’ve done a search regardin* relays but as you probably know most of the relay problems suffered are on the ‘650’ pages.
Whilst riding today my near side indicators front and rear stopped working, the offside work normally. A few months ago I replaced the standard indicators with aftermarket NON LED units and they’ve worked fine so I don’t think two have failed at the same time. I’m actually thinking it’s the relay that’s at fault so I’ve ordered a new one, they’re cheap enough. Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanks in Advance, Nathan
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2pRpRJFkWjjSEH8XA[
Cheers Nathan

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 09:34:16 pm
I have been meaning to ask every time someone uses this term, what does nearside and farside mean on a motorcycle? This seems to be a British expression. Is that where you are?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 10:27:06 pm
I'd look at the handlebar turn signal switch (trafficator switch?) output AFTER I verified that the turn signal bulb filaments were indeed intact. The TS switch feeds a (+) to the selected LH or RH circuit, the bulbs provide a ground path. The flasher depends on circuit load to activate an internal to the flasher assembly intermittent make/break circuit to provide the action. As the same flasher unit feeds both circuits, if it works on one it's OK. Likely the connector inside the headlight shell is loose or corroded for the non-functioning pair. Possibly the TS switch guts are dirty & not feeding the voltage thru to the non-functioning side.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 12:21:33 am
I have been meaning to ask every time someone uses this term, what does nearside and farside mean on a motorcycle? This seems to be a British expression. Is that where you are?
As far as the terminology goes it is usually left side and right side here, that is as if you are sitting on the motorcycle facing forwards.

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 06:27:09 am
Nearside, nearest the kerb or verge. And don't forget in the UK we drive on the left side so it just doesn't work if you drive on the right (wrong ;)) side of the road.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Father of Dragons

• Bulleteer
  • Cardiff, Wales
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 08:41:55 am
It's near side and off side, not far side.

I've fitted the genuine RE LED flashers to my Classic 350, they come with a different relay which has an additional ground (earth/negative) connection.  Maybe the after-market jobbies are not so clever?

Naffa

• Happy Meteorite
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 07:53:36 pm
It turns out to be a corroded indicator unit. They are letting in water, not very clever is it
Cheers Nathan

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:20 pm
It turns out to be a corroded indicator unit. They are letting in water, not very clever is it

Certainly not if they expect you to ride outdoors...   :-X

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 11:02:35 pm
It's near side and off side, not far side.

Left and right seems best to me then it doesn't matter which side of the road you drive on.
Near side and off side refers to cars here, or passenger and driver side.  :)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 11:46:36 pm
Sounds like a job for a bit of bulb grease after the corrosion is cleaned off.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 08:59:01 am

Thanks for following up with the diagnosis. What make were your aftermarket LED indicators? At least knowing that might save someone else making the mistake of buying them.

My original bulb type are dry and corrosion free, because this thread made me check them at least.
Deepest dark South Devon, UK

Father of Dragons

• Bulleteer
  • Cardiff, Wales
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 12:35:13 pm
I'd be interested in how much the after market ones cost, since my RE ones are a direct replacement for the bulb originals, and presumably have no warranty implications.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 05:46:11 pm
Nearside, nearest the kerb or verge. And don't forget in the UK we drive on the left side so it just doesn't work if you drive on the right (wrong ;)) side of the road.

In the US we realize that the internet is worldwide. We use terms like left and right side. That of course assumes you are sitting on the bike and you know your left from your right. And now I see it is nearside and offside??? To me that would be any direction other than straight down! Yes, I'm aware that the British talk funny. They also call a sidewalk "pavement", some kind of a road is a "jewel carriageway" (can't pronounce "dual") while others are "greenlanes" ::)

So "nearside" is the side farthest from the driver in a car?

Father of Dragons

• Bulleteer
  • Cardiff, Wales
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 05:55:15 pm
Yes, it's the side nearest the edge of the road  ;)

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 06:39:44 pm

Haha, yes, isn't the English language wonderful. ;D ;D
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Naffa

• Happy Meteorite
  • Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 08:40:16 pm
Thanks for following up with the diagnosis. What make were your aftermarket LED indicators? At least knowing that might save someone else making the mistake of buying them.

My original bulb type are dry and corrosion free, because this thread made me check them at least.

They are Oxford non led indicators. Led‘s are next on the list of mods.
Cheers Nathan

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 02:23:34 am
In the US we realize that the internet is worldwide. We use terms like left and right side. That of course assumes you are sitting on the bike and you know your left from your right. And now I see it is nearside and offside??? To me that would be any direction other than straight down! Yes, I'm aware that the British talk funny. They also call a sidewalk "pavement", some kind of a road is a "jewel carriageway" (can't pronounce "dual") while others are "greenlanes" ::)

Yes, left and right as my post 3. Riders should remember of course to sit on the bike facing forwards and not facing backwards, and facing means looking forwards and not backwards as if you had eyes in the back of your head. :)

60muzz

• Scooter
  • Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 05:09:05 am
Bought some led indicator bulbs, bloody cheap, not canbus of course so got hyper flashing, no probs, adjustable flasher relay
can be got for around AU$ 8.00, on order.
Really bright, just like the led head light I fitted, need to be seen by the other idiots on the road.

60muzz

• Scooter
  • Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 06:04:19 am
Adjustable led flasher relay arrived today, fitted globes and turned on with standard relay, flash was OK but high at around 110/min, legal in Aus is 60-120/min.
Dash indicator display however was doing double blinks, so fitted the adjustable relay, slight adjust to 90/min and dash display as normal.
Bargain upgrade, bright indicators, led globesx4 AU$5.43 from "China" and Relay $AU7.57 from ebay local (China). Australia makes nothing any more.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 12:47:36 am
Australia makes nothing any more.
We need to start manufacturing more again to be more self sufficient considering the way things are in the world.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 10:42:13 am
It's very simple; it refers to the side you put to the curb (kerb) vs. the side that's in the street.

I'm an American & I understand it even though I never use the term. What's wrong with me?

On topic: The directionals (trafficators. indicators) on my '08 still work perfectly. I suppose it's because I don't ride in the rain  :)

PS: I've never parallel parked a motorcycle. I always back the rear wheel to the curb.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.