Author Topic: Interceptor low side video. What happened?  (Read 3554 times)

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2023, 07:17:46 pm
A good road that is just wet has about 70% of the grip of a dry road.  You’d be surprised how fast you can ride in the rain, it’s mostly in your head.  I still remember when racing the first time I dragged a knee in the rain and I was giggling and it was hosing it down.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 07:20:36 pm
This video and "controversy" confirmed for me that Yammie Noob is still one of the most tiresome creatures in the realm of self-proclaimed motorcycle experts on the internet. 

Jeeeze Louieeeze, some poor guy falls off in the wet, how unusual.........WTF.

+1

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 07:38:50 pm
I'm not a big fan or follower of influencers, I follow only one funny bass player from Italy. But, if the figures are correct, he is at least a good businessman.

How much money does Yammie Noob make from YouTube?
Below is an estimated average earnings from advertising on the channel, depending on language, price and current audience.

Daily
$824

Weekly
$5,769

Monthly
$41,443

Not that bad...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 07:43:03 pm by Karl Steel »

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 11:39:51 pm
I'm not a big fan or follower of influencers, I follow only one funny bass player from Italy. But, if the figures are correct, he is at least a good businessman.

Below is an estimated average earnings from advertising on the channel, depending on language, price and current audience.

Daily
$824

Weekly
$5,769

Monthly
$41,443

Not that bad...

If you don't mind, where did those numbers come from?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 11:41:55 pm by ReddingRider »
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

gasket

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 12:02:27 am

Daily
$824

Weekly
$5,769

Monthly
$41,443

Not that bad...

If he makes $1.00 a week he's over paid.

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 12:29:25 am
If he makes $1.00 a week he's over paid.

He almost killed himself screwing around on a public road.
His judgement is suspect.

When he said the guy crashed because he didn't roll off the throttle. (load front tire)
I was thinking...Wut?  ???
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 06:48:34 am
If you don't mind, where did those numbers come from?
Just googled "jammie noob income". You will be pointed to different sources. Such figures are based on the nummer of followers and views, they are estimations. I have written "if the figures are correct". But even If it would be only 10% of that, it would be pretty much.

Graham B

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 11:53:05 am
Front brake covered. Application of the front brake has to be suspected.
Wet road? Not sure. I live in England, it looks pretty dry to what I would consider wet.
Road positioning? Being in the centre of the lane in damp conditions is going to be worse than out near the centre lane marking. It's difficult to see but the bend doesn't seem that harsh so I'd be postioning for grip rather than view.
Oil/contaminated road surface combined with a damp surface and covering the front brake? I'd go for feeling the front twitch because of a lack of grip followed by a instinctive dab of the front brake. If he hadn't been covering the brake I'd guess it would be no more than a short sqeaky bum moment.

We live (hopefully) and learn.
Past rides
Honda C70, CB125, GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500
Suzuki GT250, GS400
Triumph Tiger 750 (Meriden)
Yamaha XS750

Current rides
Honda GL1500 Goldwing
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 02:37:56 pm
I only watched the crash a few times, and not the rest of the video.  Ugh it makes me sad - been there too many times.  Crashing just sucks and that video needs a trigger warning ha ha.

The only thing I can really tell for sure about this video is that it was a front end tuck, and it didn't start with rolling off the throttle.  So probably not braking either.

One thing I will add, not that I know for sure it contributed: in situations like that where the rider doesn't feel safe - wet road, maybe compromised line, trying to slow for a corner while leaned over, etc. - it's pretty common to tense up on the bars, such that one inhibits the natural correction that the bike will perform over any kind of irregularity.  So, like, you hit a low traction bit and the front starts to tuck a little, with a relaxed grip you probably get a wiggle in the bars then carry on.  Tight, nervous girip on the bars, the steering can't do it's little natural correction, and down you go.

Same deal on a dry race track at big lean angles - fight the steering and the bike does all kinds of strange stuff, up to and including a low side crash even though there was lots of traction. 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:44:16 pm by YellowDuck »

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 03:19:43 pm
I had that happen to me in 1980. It was just beginning to rain after about 4 weeks of dry weather. I was going from the Cross Island Parkway onto the Long Island expressway on a cloverleaf exit, and bloop, over I went in a low side like this guy. My girlfriend, who became my wife, was on the back. We had just returned from a motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia where had ridden in the rain for the better part of two weeks.

I assume the cause was the oil on the road. Having a passenger on the back probably didn't help. It took me years to get over being terrified in the rain that it would happen again. Now I just relax, stay out of the center of the lane, and concentrate on being smooth.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023, 08:57:05 pm
It's guesswork based on the video alone.In my opinion there is no way in a million years from that piece of film You could  know for sure what caused that crash.
Freedom.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2023, 10:03:35 pm
It's guesswork based on the video alone.In my opinion there is no way in a million years from that piece of film You could  know for sure what caused that crash.

Not really. Things we do know

1) It was wet
2) the speed wasn't too high because you can see the lean angle of the rider ahead
3) lane positioning was poor and right where any oil would be

So reasonable to conclude likely oil or fluid on the road because it can't be

1) Rider panicked and chopped the throttle (can tell by engine note)
2) Rider asked rode too fast through he corner (can see the rider ahead not leaning much)

We don't know the tire condition or inflation pressures which could be a factor. We also see fingers around the brake lever but unlikely he operated the brake without also rolling off the throttle.

So the balance of probabilities is oil or similar on the poor line the rider chose.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 11:54:29 pm
The only time I've been caught out like that was due to pushing crappy hard compound tyres too far in the wet..

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 12:09:37 am

One thing I will add, not that I know for sure it contributed: in situations like that where the rider doesn't feel safe - wet road, maybe compromised line, trying to slow for a corner while leaned over, etc. - it's pretty common to tense up on the bars, such that one inhibits the natural correction that the bike will perform over any kind of irregularity.  So, like, you hit a low traction bit and the front starts to tuck a little, with a relaxed grip you probably get a wiggle in the bars then carry on.  Tight, nervous girip on the bars, the steering can't do it's little natural correction, and down you go.

Same deal on a dry race track at big lean angles - fight the steering and the bike does all kinds of strange stuff, up to and including a low side crash even though there was lots of traction.
I think you are right on here ... once the traction broke ...
But the elephant in the room is what disrupted the traction ?
NoobieDo mentions that the tires were in perfect condition and had not lost any tread on the track days. I forget his exact words but can't bring myself to listen again.
Might those tires be designed to be great wearing, high mileage tyres? Low / no silica content rubber compound? Are they multi compound? Do they have a ground wire in the tread?
I have never had one of those tires in hand 'cause my bike is a 2020 so those are sincere questions.
As whippers points out, that was not a high speed moment nor a decreasing radius turn.
_ The whole thing smells of low wet traction and panic-delayed response.
EDIT: I see Hoiho was typing at the same time. He is more synches  ;) 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:12:13 am by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 06:22:48 am
So my question is...Do you drop a couple PSI for cold or wet?
I honestly don't know and would be interested in what you racer folks think.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)