Author Topic: Downshifting issue  (Read 206 times)

Flyblown

• Neophyte
on: March 15, 2023, 07:54:00 am
Have a 2021 Classic 500 and am encountering problems downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear. It seems to hit a false neutral more often than not and then when nudging the gear lever, misses 2nd altogether and straight into first. It has also missed 2nd altogether and downshifted straight into first with a loss of traction on the rear tire. Tried to mix up the way I shift from very positive downshift on the lever to slower light shift but it doesnt seem to make a difference. The bike has around 2000ks on the clock. Clutch has about 3mm of slack on the lever. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be the issue. Thanks Chris

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 09:56:33 am
Have a 2021 Classic 500 and am encountering problems downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear. It seems to hit a false neutral more often than not and then when nudging the gear lever, misses 2nd altogether and straight into first. It has also missed 2nd altogether and downshifted straight into first with a loss of traction on the rear tire. Tried to mix up the way I shift from very positive downshift on the lever to slower light shift but it doesnt seem to make a difference. The bike has around 2000ks on the clock. Clutch has about 3mm of slack on the lever. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be the issue. Thanks Chris

Mine's the same model but I don't have a problem with 3rd to 2nd.

However, I've often tapped it into first when stopping, then found I'm in neutral when I go to move off - most embarrassing in traffic. Now I tap the lever again when stopped - I don't feel anything but at least the bike is always in first.

With yours, I'd discuss it with your dealer. Mine? I've heard too many other riders complain about the same issue to be too worried.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Gian4

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 02:30:48 pm
Is your drive chain properly lubed and adjusted?  You already checked your clutch play.  That's where I would start.  Keep us posted.
Gian4

GarethLDE

• Scooter
  • 2009 C5 Owner
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 12:38:04 pm
I haven't done a thorough test, but I am sure that I managed to somehow find a false neutral between most gears when driving my bike home earlier in the week by gently moving the gear leaver part way.

I assumed it is an Enfield feature rather than a fault :-)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 01:19:45 pm
Sometimes problems shifting into gear can be the result of not having the angle of the shift lever at the correct position in regard to the rider's posture and typical ankle movement. Moving the lever up or down slightly can help when shifting between gears more positively.
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1