Author Topic: Bali Tourism Motorcycle Ban  (Read 768 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
on: March 14, 2023, 03:49:52 pm
Bali plans tourist motorbike ban over misbehaviour
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64947871
The Indonesian island of Bali is planning to ban foreign tourists from using motorbikes after a spate of cases involving people breaking traffic laws.
"You [should] not roam about the island using motorbikes, without wearing shirts or clothes, no helmet, and even without a licence," Governor I Wayan Koster said.
Under the proposals tourists would use cars provided by travel agents instead.
The plan has been divisive as tourism continues to recover from Covid losses.
More than 171 foreign nationals have violated traffic orders from late February to early March, according to local police records. Some tourists also use fake licence plates.
"If you are a tourist, then act like a tourist," said the governor.
Foreign tourists in Bali often prefer renting motorbikes to get around the island, which does not have a well-developed public transport system. The two-wheelers make for a good option for weaving in and out of traffic, as well as travelling through scenic back alleys.
The proposed ban will be implemented via a regional law sometime this year, but how it will be enforced is unclear.

Tourism contributed some 60% to Bali's annual GDP before the pandemic. According to the province's statistics bureau, Australia was the largest contributor of foreign tourists to Bali in January 2023 - with more than 91,000 Australians arriving in the province. Russia took the second spot, with about 22,000 of its citizens visiting the province that month.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 03:18:56 am
Bali already requires tourists hold an international motor cycle license for any bike/scooter over 50cc whether rented borrowed owned or stolen.

So the tourists renting bikes actually can ride, they just seem to be choosing to ignore the road rules because they can get away with it.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 07:32:47 am
if you're looking to avoid conscription to serve in the army in ukraine, bali is likely warm and pleasant.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 09:48:41 am
if you're looking to avoid conscription to serve in the army in ukraine, bali is likely warm and pleasant.

Taking all the local jobs according to Al Jazeerah ...

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/3/15/they-dont-respect-us-russians-face-backlash-in-bali

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 11:51:31 pm
Taking all the local jobs according to Al Jazeerah ...

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/3/15/they-dont-respect-us-russians-face-backlash-in-bali
I had just been reading that. Aljazeera seems quite unbiased in its news reporting. (not what I wrongly assumed it was like before I started looking at their news coverage a while ago now )

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 03:13:21 am
I had just been reading that. Aljazeera seems quite unbiased in its news reporting. (not what I wrongly assumed it was like before I started looking at their news coverage a while ago now )

Al Jazeera, as you would expect, is biased when it comes to matter concerning Islam and the Middle East. They are, after all, owned by the government of Qatar. Despite being set up as a "Foundation for Public Benefit" and having a considerable amount of genuine editorial independence they are unashamedly Islamist and pro-Qatar, pro-Sunni and anti-Shia.

However, aside from that one blatantly obvious area of bias in matters concerning Islam and the Middle East, they are OTHERWISE surprisingly unbiased and very informative on pretty much everything else.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 03:21:26 am by GlennF »