Author Topic: Pulsar pickup coil  (Read 880 times)

ksbulletwala

• Scooter
on: March 13, 2023, 02:16:42 pm
Hello,
I have a bullet Electra x 500 avl engine,2008 model.
Got starting issues.
I have replaced the coil and spark plug, but still no joy.
Now I am suspecting the TCI unit.
Also I  got a reading of 107 ohms from the Pulsar pickup coil which is a lot lower than specified. (180-220 ohms)
Could this be the problem and not the TCI.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 12:43:19 am
Hello,
I have a bullet Electra x 500 avl engine,2008 model.
Got starting issues.
I have replaced the coil and spark plug, but still no joy.
Now I am suspecting the TCI unit.
Also I  got a reading of 107 ohms from the Pulsar pickup coil which is a lot lower than specified. (180-220 ohms)
Could this be the problem and not the TCI.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would suspect the TCI being bad as the last thing. It's a totally sealed unit.

Have you actually proven you are getting no spark with the plug out & grounded & cranking it over? It could be the HT wire or the cap also. Is it a stock cap? I junked mine & ran the HT wire direct to the plug.

I don't know the Pulsar specs, but all it involves is a magnet & a coil. Very reliable. We have some really smart electrical/electronics guys here. They should chime in soon.

How was it acting before it would not start?

Is it cranking FAST enough to start?

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 01:22:43 pm
I have replied in the AVL section. but if you follow tooseevee's example and ditch the plug cap altogether, consider the following for a nice vintage look to your (copper cored) HT lead!  ;D

https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-spark-plug-terminals-ht-spade-end-for-7mm-cable-lead-solder.html

https://www.gsparkplug.com/4x-spark-plug-brass-thumb-nut-m4-thread.html

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...