Author Topic: Pulled the Trigger - RE INT650 Downtown Drag  (Read 2742 times)

2LZ

• Scooter
on: March 08, 2023, 02:24:19 am
Well, thanks to much of your input, I did it today. Pick it up on Friday, weather permitting.
I wanted the Orange Crush but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Downtown Drag they offered me. Not my first choice of color, but come to find out, Mrs. 2LZ likes the Downtown Drag better than the Orange Crush, so that works for me!
Time to start ordering bling.  :D
Light a fire for a man, you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 04:21:05 am
Well, thanks to much of your input, I did it today. Pick it up on Friday, weather permitting.
I wanted the Orange Crush but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Downtown Drag they offered me. Not my first choice of color, but come to find out, Mrs. 2LZ likes the Downtown Drag better than the Orange Crush, so that works for me!
It's an interesting name for a colour. Sounds like a community of crossdressers that live in the CBD, lol. Then again Orange crush sounds like some sort of cocktail. Who comes up with these names.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 04:33:55 am
Congrats!!!
Photos when you get it.
Hope the weather forecast is wrong ;).
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 04:51:55 am
It's an interesting name for a colour. Sounds like a community of crossdressers that live in the CBD, lol. Then again Orange crush sounds like some sort of cocktail. Who comes up with these names.

Phil
Orange Crush is literally the name of a soda pop in the US.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 05:23:02 am
I wanted the Orange Crush but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Downtown Drag they offered me.
I'd swap you tanks for shipping if interested.
Took my orange one off after 280 miles & put a MKIII (black) one on.
It does have the Union Jack tank tank pads on it, but you could remove them.

Also...Welcome  ;D
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 12:20:38 am
Thanks for the well-wishes and offer. I think I'll keep it looking stock for a while and see how it grows.
This weekend can't get here soon enough!..................
Light a fire for a man, you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 02:38:42 am
I'd swap you tanks for shipping if interested.
Took my orange one off after 280 miles & put a MKIII (black) one on.
It does have the Union Jack tank tank pads on it, but you could remove them.

Also...Welcome  ;D

You took off what is without doubt the best colour tank and replaced it with a no colour tank.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 02:50:00 am
You took off what is without doubt the best colour tank and replaced it with a no colour tank.

I change tanks every time I do a valve adjustment.
Next up...Glitter & Dust or maybe grey????

Collecting them/trading them is part of the fun. ;D
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 02:53:42 am
I change tanks every time I do a valve adjustment.
Next up...Glitter & Dust or maybe grey????

Collecting them/trading them is part of the fun. ;D

Damn you didn't take the bait :) Black and Grey metallic also look good. Painted tanks are so cheap you can have one for whatever mood you're in.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 10:09:17 am
My choice was in part driven by not liking the RE badge on tanks like the orange crush.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 04:08:59 pm
I can see varying tastes here, for sure. I've built a ton of "black bikes" in my time and the orange crush WAS going to be something completely different this time around, brown leather bags and all. Personally, I like the orange with the silver grey pieces and rims on the bike. To me, that grey spread out the color across the bike.

The DD, being all blacked out, would confine the bright color tank to one splotch (area) on the bike. If I did make a tank change, it would have to be something that would accent the blacked out motif, and probably be the Glitter or Mark II tank. As long as Mrs. 2LZ likes the teal stripe, I'm going to run with it and see if it grows on me. The DD, being a matte finish is really a downfall in the hot CA sun, during summer. I may clear coat the tank to reflect some heat. Anyone done that?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 04:34:48 pm
I can see varying tastes here, for sure. I've built a ton of "black bikes" in my time and the orange crush WAS going to be something completely different this time around, brown leather bags and all. Personally, I like the orange with the silver grey pieces and rims on the bike. To me, that grey spread out the color across the bike.

The DD, being all blacked out, would confine the bright color tank to one splotch (area) on the bike. If I did make a tank change, it would have to be something that would accent the blacked out motif, and probably be the Glitter or Mark II tank. As long as Mrs. 2LZ likes the teal stripe, I'm going to run with it and see if it grows on me. The DD, being a matte finish is really a downfall in the hot CA sun, during summer. I may clear coat the tank to reflect some heat. Anyone done that?
I haven't "cleared" over a matte paint job. But I have become increasingly interested in the various CeraKoat products. I have one buddy who has been using it on two projects. His is over standard gloss paint but he is very pleased with the "depth" it has added.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 07:45:16 pm
 Obviously I’m in love with my Rocker Red GT. Added the seat cowl and a cafė fairing painted to match including the stripes. New red front fender(mudguard for those outside the US) from Hitchcocks.
 I’m still torn over the black side panels. I like to look of the original GTs (from the 1960s & the GT535) with their red panels, but I can also see design language in the black as it flows with the black engine fins. Still can’t say you won’t see red panels on mine in the future.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 08:55:47 pm

Yes it's no problem.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Gone in 60

• Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor 650 - Vindaloo
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 11:48:16 pm

The bike I sold to buy my Interceptor had a matte tank. I was never a fan of that look, and was always afraid of marring or scuffing the finish, which can't be polished out - any mark is permanent. I was looking into having the tank clear coated, and a few shops told me they could do it, no problem. I went the easier route, sold the bike, and bought my orange Interceptor.

I like to include my wife in my motorcycle purchases. With all of my years of riding, she's shown a cursory interest, and likes my bikes. We went to a dealership and looked at all of the available colors on the Interceptor. I wanted to see which was her favorite, and she picked the Baker Express. I dig it too, but knowing I'd buy used, it would be price and condition, rather than color that would be the deciding factor. She likes the orange bike I did buy, but heck, for three hundred bucks, it's nice to know I can change it if I want to.
'21 Interceptor 650
'12 Bonneville T100
'13 CB1100

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 02:03:22 am
The bike I sold to buy my Interceptor had a matte tank. I was never a fan of that look, and was always afraid of marring or scuffing the finish, which can't be polished out - any mark is permanent. I was looking into having the tank clear coated, and a few shops told me they could do it, no problem. I went the easier route, sold the bike, and bought my orange Interceptor.

I like to include my wife in my motorcycle purchases. With all of my years of riding, she's shown a cursory interest, and likes my bikes. We went to a dealership and looked at all of the available colors on the Interceptor. I wanted to see which was her favorite, and she picked the Baker Express. I dig it too, but knowing I'd buy used, it would be price and condition, rather than color that would be the deciding factor. She likes the orange bike I did buy, but heck, for three hundred bucks, it's nice to know I can change it if I want to.
I'm lucky in that aspect as Mrs 2LZ rides her own, so she's headlong into the motorcycle experience. Besides, this isn't our first Enfield. It will be a matching one to her Lee Enfield No. 4, Mk 1.  ;)

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2023, 01:10:36 am
Picked her up today! ;D
The two hour drive home stayed dry.

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023, 08:49:07 pm
Well, as usual, I'll break the bike in stock, then start the mods. I've already got bar risers coming. I'm built like Fred Flintstone. Long back, shorter legs so the first mod is usually risers unless I want to feel like I'm riding a Schwinn Varsity.

Once my first oil change happens (oil and filter on order), I'm already looking at pipes. Lots of confusing info out there and of course, the YT vids never do justice. Looking at the shorty Powerage slip-ons w/baffles installed. The AEW 102's (with baffles)seem to have an odd rumble on decel. I'll have to decide. Any input is greatly appreciated, as always.
I want to stick to the stock look, just shorter and lighter.

BartLx

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2023, 08:58:05 pm
Picked her up today! ;D

Congratulations man!

IFGD

• Gunga Din
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023, 09:07:34 pm
I want to stick to the stock look, just shorter and lighter.

That was what I was going for too. I ended up getting the Enfield Precision silencers from Hitchcocks.

They're much lighter than stock and smaller. They fit the proportions of the bike better, IMO. I had the baffles out for the first 100 miles or so and the sound was really quite wonderful, but it was just a bit much for everyday use--especially with the sensitive ears in my neighborhood.

Baffles in, it's the best of both worlds. Perfectly polite and acceptable when you're just tooling around, but open the throttle and you get some very nice noises.

I also think the brushed stainless finish looks much better than the chrome. There's enough shiny metal on the bike already.

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 09:35:26 pm
I ended up getting the Enfield Precision silencers from Hitchcocks.
You guys are lucky. The only pipes that are currently EUR5 compliant are italian Zards - 1000€. Anything else would result in a fine (and probably a locked bike) at the moment police stops you.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 10:11:12 pm
You guys are lucky. The only pipes that are currently EUR5 compliant are italian Zards - 1000€. Anything else would result in a fine (and probably a locked bike) at the moment police stops you.

I motorcycle toured around Europe twice back in the 1980's and always thought I'd love to live there one day. Not anymore, too many rules and draconian regulations now especially Germany. Seeing what German owners have to go through with the authorities on older bikes is pathetic, even with approved tyres. There's always members asking on the forum for approval paperwork for some 40 year old accessory on an old bike that are trying to register.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 10:39:25 pm
I'll break the bike in stock, then start the mods.
I had ordered in advance and waiting in my garage before taking delivery:
 Premium dual touring seat
 Dual seat cowl
 Master cylinder cap
 Bar end finishers
 Compact crash bars
 Sump guard
 Short fly screen
 All Royal Enfield accessories so I still considered it stock.

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 02:46:53 pm
Maiden Voyage yesterday!....albeit short. Dang "atmospheric river" had been hammering us.
First impressions on our crap country roads.....the suspension is vastly better than I've been expecting (reading) about. So far, it suspended my 220 pound butt just fine end to end on the bike, though it only has 5 miles on it. Suspended very evenly. Other impression? Shifted like butter and more power than I've been expecting. Very, very friendly delivery. I like.....
Now, if the weather would finally let up so I can get some real miles on her.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 02:58:07 pm
Maiden Voyage yesterday!....albeit short. Dang "atmospheric river" had been hammering us.
First impressions on our crap country roads.....the suspension is vastly better than I've been expecting (reading) about. So far, it suspended my 220 pound butt just fine end to end on the bike, though it only has 5 miles on it. Suspended very evenly. Other impression? Shifted like butter and more power than I've been expecting. Very, very friendly delivery. I like.....
Now, if the weather would finally let up so I can get some real miles on her.
I think you will find the bike to be very pleasant to ride in stock form. Plenty of power, goid handeling and braking.
 But no matter how good any motorcycle is there are always those that just ‘need’ to do things to them.

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 07:37:58 pm
But no matter how good any motorcycle is there are always those that just ‘need’ to do things to them.
Guilty as charged! ;D
Got a few items on order already. Although I did tell Mrs. 2LZ last night that I think this bike will take far less personalizing than the others. My DRZ isn't even CLOSE to what it was when I bought it. This one? It seems very comfy in its own skin already.

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2023, 03:00:44 pm
Took her out twice yesterday. I'm in love. Though, I'm not sure why motorcycle companies think that the modern human primate is built like a monkey. Every bike I've bought in the last decade has needed riders to get me off my elbows and wrists. They're ordered.

Also, has anyone sunk the forks into the triple trees so they're even with the top of the upper tree, just to pick up the front a little (eliminating that spec 10-12mm drop)? It does handle fantastic, but even in my Canyonland, it may be a bit quick on the handling side, but not quite twitchy.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #27 on: March 17, 2023, 05:20:59 pm
Took her out twice yesterday. I'm in love. Though, I'm not sure why motorcycle companies think that the modern human primate is built like a monkey. Every bike I've bought in the last decade has needed riders to get me off my elbows and wrists. They're ordered.

Also, has anyone sunk the forks into the triple trees so they're even with the top of the upper tree, just to pick up the front a little (eliminating that spec 10-12mm drop)? It does handle fantastic, but even in my Canyonland, it may be a bit quick on the handling side, but not quite twitchy.
Yes, I have. That's my preference.
You will notice that top of the triptree isn't flat all the way around. So to get full clamping grip the fork tube stays a fraction proud.

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: March 18, 2023, 01:59:30 am
Yes, I have. That's my preference.
You will notice that top of the triptree isn't flat all the way around. So to get full clamping grip the fork tube stays a fraction proud.
Awesome! Thank you. I'll give it a shot. Need to slow down the cornering a tad.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 18, 2023, 02:03:07 am
Awesome! Thank you. I'll give it a shot. Need to slow down the cornering a tad.

So funny, some think it steers too quick others too slow. Just goes to shoe it all depends on what you are used to. I’m sure the Harley crowd think it is too quick steering.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

2LZ

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: March 18, 2023, 03:49:18 am
So funny, some think it steers too quick others too slow. Just goes to shoe it all depends on what you are used to. I’m sure the Harley crowd think it is too quick steering.
Yah, but they're just cruisers. My other ride is a DRZ400SM convert. Taller, dirt bike-ish, loads of fun.
Got my risers installed on the Interceptor today. What a huge difference.  ;D

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 27, 2023, 01:49:30 pm

I find the steering slow as hell. Sluggish and needs more force to turn in. This is on the gt650. Maybe the wider bars on the Interceptor makes it feel quicker.