Author Topic: Buell supercruiser  (Read 1285 times)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
on: March 01, 2023, 07:13:02 am
Buell supercruiser!!! Nice!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATl2aPVabzE
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 06:06:42 pm
30 crankpin offset plus  60 cylinder Vee = 90 Degrees? Then essentially a narrow angle Ducati?  :o

What's Buells relationship to HD nowadays? It's starting to look like a HD's building a real modern bike engine.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2021/03/12/harley-davidson-revolution-max-1250-engine-21-essential-fast-facts/
" With a 30-degree offset for the connecting rods, the Revolution Max 1250 motor has a 90-degree firing order. According to Harley-Davidson, this smooths out the motor at high rpm and provides superior off-road performance at lower engine speeds.
The top end is a DOHC design, and there are four valves per cylinder. There are also two spark plugs per cylinder for complete combustion. "
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 09:53:33 pm
I thought Buell were defunct !

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 10:18:52 pm
What I heard was that Buell was bought out by a hedge fund and they were trying to come up with a way to cash in on the Buell brand. Perhaps by making custom bikes using the last of the Buell (Rotax?) engines as shown above. My understanding is that they have no affiliation with H-D. I think Eric Buell went to work at Fuell (or something like that) and was helping them design electric bicycles and motorbikes. I don't think that company is going anywhere right now and I am not even sure if Buell still works for them.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 06:58:34 pm
What I heard was that Buell was bought out by a hedge fund and they were trying to come up with a way to cash in on the Buell brand. Perhaps by making custom bikes using the last of the Buell (Rotax?) engines as shown above. My understanding is that they have no affiliation with H-D. I think Eric Buell went to work at Fuell (or something like that) and was helping them design electric bicycles and motorbikes. I don't think that company is going anywhere right now and I am not even sure if Buell still works for them.  ???
This new "Buell" has nothing to do with Erik Buell. Harley owned the name and sold it to some folks in Michigan. Like most startups they were having cash flow problems but it looks like they got past that with this new bike.

Erik has moved on to electric bikes. Similar performance but 50% more range than the Livewire but priced around $10,000 instead of $30,000. Built in storage as well. Purely a commuter. If you give them $200 for a spot they will discount another $2000. At least that was the last thing I heard from them.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 08:16:35 am
Three Reasons Why The Buell Super Cruiser Will Be A Gut Punch To Harley-Davidson
https://www.topspeed.com/three-reasons-why-the-buell-super-cruiser-will-be-a-gut-punch-to-harley-davidson/
In its 120-year-long history, Harley-Davidson has barely breached the 150 horsepower mark. But Buell has hit it out of the park in its first attempt, as the Super Cruiser is claimed to gush out 175 ponies from its staple 1190cc, V-twin engine. The mill has likely come straight from Buell’s flagship sport bike, the Hammerhead 1190, and re-tuned to produce 10-HP less. Though the company hasn’t revealed the torque figures, we believe it’ll be more than the Hammerhead’s 101 pound-feet, so the cruiser feels more punchy like its rivals. Even if we’re wrong, this torque figure is still going to be more than Harley-Davidson’s flagship Sportster S.

Weight has always been an Achilles heel for Harley-Davidson. Even the company’s smallest motorcycle (right now), the 975cc Nightster, breaches the 460-pound mark, while its bigger cruisers like the Fat Boy weigh in at over 660 pounds. But this isn’t the case with Buell’s Super Cruiser. It is claimed to weigh just 445 pounds, and even if you add a few extra pounds (factoring in the road-legal bits), it should still be a bit lighter. Couple this with its 175-HP output, and the Super Cruiser concept has a promising power-to-weight ratio.

Now that you know all this, allow us to explain why Buell wants to lock horns with Harley-Davidson. It all dates back to the 1980s when Erik Buell started the Buell Motorcycle Company, which produced race-inspired, street motorcycles powered by Harley-Davidson engines. Nearly a decade later, Harley-Davidson showed interest in the company and bought a 49 percent stake in Buell via a $500,000 investment. This ultimately resulted in Harley buying a majority stake in the company and making it a subsidiary. All sounds hunky-dory so far, right? Well, things changed soon.
Fast-forward to 2008, Harley-Davidson struggled with finances and Buell had barely any sales. As a result, Harley’s top honchos (at the time) all questioned why they owned Erik's brand in the first place with claims that the sportbike segment had tonnes of competition and made no sense against the then-unrivaled cruiser space. Owing to all this, Harley-Davidson discontinued the Buell brand in 2009 to focus on taking HD to new heights.
The news came as a shock to everyone, including the company founder Erik Buell, who was obviously hurt by Harley’s decision. And we believe Buell (the company, not the man) still wants revenge, or at least wants to show what they would’ve done had Harley trusted them a little more. This could very well be the driving emotion for the Super Cruiser project, which rains on Harley-Davidson’s parade. After all, Buell just got back to the market two years ago (in 2021), over a decade after Harley’s announcement.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:19:43 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.