Author Topic: Brake fluid vacuum kits.  (Read 821 times)

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
on: January 27, 2023, 12:00:19 pm
Its always a pain for me totally replacing the brake fluid.  I install the new fluid and then it takes an eternity to pump by hand/foot( back brake)open the brake nipple close etc and it can get messy.You tube has good reviews on the vacuum pumps but is there any you guys can recommend.
Freedom.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:37:14 pm
Its always a pain for me totally replacing the brake fluid.  I install the new fluid and then it takes an eternity to pump by hand/foot( back brake)open the brake nipple close etc and it can get messy.You tube has good reviews on the vacuum pumps but is there any you guys can recommend.

Coincidentally, I started replacing my brake fluid on all of my six motorcycles yesterday. I bought one of those cheap Chinese one-way valve devices and found that it was not any faster than trying the old method of pumping the brake pedal by hand. I finally gave up and dumped the device into a plastic bag.

So I went back to my old standby, the MityVac suction pump, which will get the job done in a fraction of the time, as well as doing a great job of eliminating any bubbles in the hydraulic lines. I highly recommend this pump, which is useful for all sorts of other projects, too. All you have to do is to make sure that you keep the brake fluid reservoir filled while sucking the old fluid out of the lines so that it doesn't suck in any air. That can make the job a little fiddly if you are doing the flush by yourself, as you go back and forth checking the reservoir to make sure that it hasn't dropped too low. Having a second person helping to keep the reservoir filled as you suck out the old fluid will really make the job go much quicker.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 12:00:24 pm

So I went back to my old standby, the MityVac suction pump, which will get the job done in a fraction of the time, as well as doing a great job of eliminating any bubbles in the hydraulic lines. I highly recommend this pump, which is useful for all sorts of other projects, too.

I used the MityVac quite a few times back when I had bikes with brake fluid. As Richard sez: read the instructions. It's pretty foolproof if you pay attention.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 06:56:44 pm
I have an old coke bottle and a length of clear vinyl fuel line with a loop in part of it that I have used for the past 40 years. I use that set up for my bikes as well as my cars and trucks. I can bleed any of them by myself and as fast  as I can with a vacuum pump set up. Some of the cheaper vac kits won't last through one job. If you can't find an old coke bottle then I suppose other clear glass jars or bottles would be acceptable  ;D