Author Topic: Harley Davidson  (Read 6129 times)

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 03:56:46 pm
If only.

If they made something like the Nova, I'd have my wallet out so fast you could smell the leather burning.
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 06:13:18 pm
Maybe HD needs to give away to anyone that wants one a "helmet pulsator" that mimics the "Big V-Twin Esperiense" by shaking your head in time to the engine. That way they could make motorcycles that actually performed well that people in general would buy and give the Olde Skool guys that "autentico esperience" they apparently crave. I dunno how they'll re-educate the dealerships though. That "Used Car Salesman Shtick" is hard to expunge. The NOVA series engineering drawings and die casting molds & machinery likely still exist, at the very least as files on a thumb drive in some savagely disappointed engineers desk. There's no shortage of talent, just a shortage of corporate will to survive. Engineers need to run engineering companies, someone with some heart for the product. Maybe start off with a liquid cooled 400cc single dual purpose bike, then branch out like RE plans for their LC450 Himalayan motor. Follow it up with a nice lightweight pressed aluminum/carbon fiber framed LC800cc DOHC twin. They already make a 6-speed gearset, shocks & forks are easy to come by.

If they don't do something soon, they'll be reduced to online sales of the HD NFT collectables on QVC to folks in the Shady Acres Home.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 06:18:03 pm
I agree 100%.

Friends ask me why I have so much hostility towards the motor company. I tell them I WANT to buy in, I WANT to own American iron, I want to LOVE them. They just make it impossible.

I have an RE and a Kawi. Next one is a Honda.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 08:45:03 pm
I think I got it.

Kneeling at the altar of torque, regardless of the consequences.  I think that about sums it up.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 22, 2023, 03:36:34 am
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #35 on: April 22, 2023, 11:46:38 pm
Perhaps they should have kept the H-D badged Aermacchi  350s going?

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 23, 2023, 02:23:35 am
Yup - coulda easily evolved into a 4 valve 6 speed 350/500. Honda proved that pushrods were OK in street use to +10,000 RPM with the CX500. A 300 pound 40 Hp low CG road burner is always popular. Might have even worked offroad. "Ya can't fix stoopid", right? Especially at the management level.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #37 on: April 23, 2023, 04:15:37 pm
Sadly, no. I was hearing today from a retired engineer about some once excellent British engineering firms which were bought out by "the big boys" and asset stripped and/or dumbed down, with predictable results for the staff and products.  >:(

A 500 version of the Aermacchi would have been nice, though if you want an Italian flat single 500, a Moto Guzzi Falcone or Nuovo Falcone would fill that role.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #38 on: April 24, 2023, 12:16:46 am
Sadly, no. I was hearing today from a retired engineer about some once excellent British engineering firms which were bought out by "the big boys" and asset stripped and/or dumbed down, with predictable results for the staff and products.  >:(
A.
Any names of companies ? Just interested. No doubt there would be quite a few.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 26, 2023, 04:16:12 am
Harley-Davdison Drops Images Of India-Made X440 Ahead Of Launch
https://www.rideapart.com/news/669219/harley-davidson-x440-images-teased-india/
May 25, 2023 at 9:20pm ET  By: Enrico Punsalang
Harley-Davidson's off-shore exploits have hardly been a secret to anybody. The all-American icon has decided to get some help from foreign players in a bid to expand in the Asian market, and indeed, we've seen some of the impressive fruits of this partnership in the form of the X350 and X500 unveiled in China. While these bikes were built in partnership with Chinese motorcycle giant Qianjiang, they're not all Harley has brought to the table.
You're probably aware of Harley's partnership with Indian motorcycle manufacturer Hero MotoCorp. For years, the latter has been an extremely popular brand in the Indian market, as well as in neighboring Asian countries. While the brand has focused primarily on small displacement machines designed for commuting, it's embarking on a new category with the cruiser built in partnership with Harley-Davidson. While the new model isn't scheduled for launch until July 4, 2023, Harley-Davidson India has decided to drop teaser images of the new bike.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: May 27, 2023, 05:32:49 pm
The QJ X440 sportbike ahead of the QJ SRV300? No wonder they are going down the tubes, too much coca at the Board of Director level. If you are doing Badge Engineering, the SRV550 and SRV300 would have made a lot more sense. Even Buell couldn't make Hardly riders excited about sportbikes. The "Baby Hawg" and the "Chintz Pan-Amurrika" should hold some attraction, the SRV300 for obvious reasons and the "CPA" for about 25% of a Pan-America price tag. The HD board must have El Chapo's Columbian Marching Powder delivery service on speed dial.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 06:19:25 am by AzCal Retred »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #42 on: July 05, 2023, 09:32:33 pm
I see that the X440 from Hero / Harley has finally launched in India, priced at just 2.29 lakh. 

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/harley-davidson-x440-specs-details-and-features

That's just 70,000 rupees more than the RE Hunter 350 (~1.6 lakh)  and  20,000 more than the Meteor (~2.1 lakh).  Some folks consider it quite competitively priced.

https://www.topspeed.com/why-the-new-harley-davidson-x440-is-a-gut-punch-to-royal-enfield-classic-350/

With rupees trading for dollars at a current rate of just $1214 to 100,000 ( 1 lakh) rupees, it's quite a stiff markup to buy one a Royal Enfield here in the USA.  I see Meteors that go for the equivalent of about $2500 in India being sold for about $4900 here in the USA.  I wonder if Harley will be able to bring their new machine in with appreciably less overhead and cost addon.  They won't need to spend on distribution infrastructure like RE did.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: July 06, 2023, 03:17:50 am
The Triumph 400 (Bajaj) is supposed to retail for under $6K in the US & UK. If that's real, the 40 hp, 375 pound wonderkind should become the preferred darling of sporting riders.

On Cycletrader I found new Meteors under $4K in Oakland, Ca., so that leaves wiggle room for the upcoming Hitchcock's big bore kit. The 25-28 hp that should be added will make for a nice ride.

The Harley/Hero (https://www.harley-davidsonx440.com/) selling point as far as I can see is more motor. There is a "Denim" steel spoked wheel version for 229,000 Rupees, and their "Top" model (X 400 S) lists at 269,000 Rupees. It has a 6-speed, 27 HP and weighs in at 420 pounds wet. For about $300 you get another gear and 30% more Ongawa. A six speed gives you options.

These folks (https://www.topspeed.com/why-the-new-harley-davidson-x440-is-a-gut-punch-to-royal-enfield-classic-350/) thought the suspension was better as well as the power.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/in/en/motorcycles/x-440.html

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2023, 02:36:20 pm
Here is Motorcycle.coms take on the H-D X440. It looks pretty basic to me and the claimed fuel mileage really sucks. Here is a link to a short report on this bike:  https://www.motorcycle.com/bikes/2023-harley-davidson-x440-first-look-44592196
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1