Author Topic: Harley Davidson  (Read 6126 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 01:05:10 pm
Harley-Davidson's biggest challenge is overcoming its own past success and "Tradition" hype. They need a new and separate brand name or three to explore other options without risking sending their increasingly elderly and reactionary loyalists, who just automatically kneejerk despise anything "new," into a full psychotic break. If they're smart they should continue to produce their big costly "boutique" V-Twin behemoths for their shrinking and generally aging market under the Harley-Davidson badge, explore electric options as "LiveWire" (shedding the "Harley" moniker), and christen a new "York" or perhaps "Milwaukee" brand (named after the locations of their chief American factories) for a newer breed of middleweight or light bikes made or assembled in the States, with perhaps a fourth dusted-off marque from their past (e.g., Hummer, Buell, Sportcycle, Street, etc.) for their chiefly foreign-produced ventures. All could be sold and serviced through their existing dealership networks, but differentiated by insistently separate branding--similar to Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. This might be way out for them to wrestle their big "mobility scooter" from the regressive brand expectations hole they've dug themselves into.

Though many are surely familiar with it already, I'll just leave this FortNine recap of Harley's past missteps and current plight here: https://youtu.be/EOwxxsPaogY

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 01:37:26 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 02:16:59 pm
What's the boggle with selling something people want and can afford? Are HD committed to corporate suicide? The whole "HD lifestyle" schtick eludes me. You want real speed? Get a Hayabusa or ZX14. What's wrong with the Goldwing or Rocket 3 if you want to tour effortlessly? Why anyone in 2022 would spend real money, $25K-$45K, on faux 1930's tech is a puzzler. The target audience is aging out, play money is harder to come by, there's certainly no objective performance reason to own one, you are just buying into a pricy, machismo infused boys club.

HD needs to develop new clientele if they expect to stay in business. That means a new product line and new marketing engagement. The current dealers won't work as they are fully committed to the existing  lifestyle schlock. Maybe they need to break away "HD" from the new hardware, like Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. There's no disgrace in selling solid transportation or decent light & middleweight machines, but it would take a much different attitude.

Break away from H-D for new hardware - like they did with the LiveWireOne and didn't do with Buell?   :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 03:46:04 pm
The old Harley rationalization, " If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand" always bugged me a little bit but the fact of the matter is like some other makes they speak to you on an emotional level. They aren't the best handling or the fastest but they excel at moving the soul, something that other appliance like bikes or tiddlers just aren't able to do. They are a touchstone to the past and for those that like their motorcycles in classic flavors find all the boxes ticked by them. The baby boomers seemed to long for an idyllic past that never really existed but manifested itself in music, guitars, and cultural niches, from the sublime to the ridiculous. The younger ones now don't look back but are looking forward and for most, motorcycles don't fit that vision.

Harley owners have always fallen into three camps, the RUB's (rich urban bikers) the dirt bag 1 %'s (I say that with some affection) and the third group is a bit harder to label but distill down to your general motorcycle enthusiast who sees / hears / feels something in these bikes and gets something from them that other motorcycles just don't provide (there's that emotional level thing again). Harley doesn't have the market cornered on this, you'll see the same with British and Italian bike owners and more so with the classic enthusiasts of those brands I don't enjoy the prospect of Harley Davidson fading away or for that matter motorcycle culture as I have known it in my life time, but change is inevitable and time marches on. In the meantime I look forward to that day next Spring when I can get my Harley down to the highway for the first ride of the season and the world and all it's problems melt away as I'm in the the wind once more with my anachronistic big twin motorcycle.

Wellsed, Karl. Thanks. I find it harder & harder all the time to condense 84 years of every day bike involvement & "passing scene"/current events watching into short paragraphs. I'd hafta write a book & even THAT wouldn't make any sense of it all. And I love the history of it all (bikes AND cars). It's the BS & sweeping generalizations from random samples that make me nuts. ALL motorcycles & motorcycle people from ALL countries have valid histories & heritages & they're ALL interesting.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2022, 06:06:59 am
@ #16: "What's the boggle with selling something people want and can afford?"
"Livewire, Starting at $22,799..."
https://www.livewire.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Electric_LiveWire_Brand_E&utm_term=harley%20livewire%20price&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4aacBhCUARIsAI55maFLGDka_wZf78mLE1gqvE9x4nDzKpSyCWuLsjmv4cSEooZ6Kief-_waAnVCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

$23K will likely buy a new 2023 LC450, a new 650 interceptor, and a new 350 Hunter with change left over for registration, fuel & insurance for a few years. A helluva lot more folks can afford $4K-$7K for something they can actually use than will shell out $23K for a see-pretty. The Board at HD must already have a shut-down plan in place, they sure don't seem to be doing much more than riding it into the ground. Craigslist gets fuller every year with low-mileage premium HD iron, no real reason to spend 2x - 3x more at the dealer unless you are just impressing the 25 year old trophy wife.

A "Motor Company" separate location sidebrand shop stocked with these gems might be a possible starting point. The QJ300 is a treat.

https://motor.qjmotor.com/ProDetail/QJ500-8A
https://motor.qjmotor.com/ProDetail/QJ250-9
https://motor.qjmotor.com/ProDetail/QJ500-19
https://motor.qjmotor.com/ProDetail/QJ300-12
https://motor.qjmotor.com/ProDetail/BJ250-3B
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 06:18:17 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2022, 02:47:05 pm
H-D spun off the LiveWire into a separate company. There are a number of big investors, but I believe H-D still holds a controlling interest in the LiveWireOne company. I can't recall if it is a publicly traded corporation or is privately held (like Zero). I am also not quite sure how they are selling and servicing LiveWires now, but initially you could only buy one through the internet and then had to visit a dedicated LiveWire dealer (just try to find one) to actually pick it up and get it serviced if needed. The last I heard there was only one LiveWire dealer in California, located in Southern California. Most established H-D dealers will not support the LiveWire - although they might fill out the paperwork for you and let you pick it up at their shop before sending you on your way. No surprise there, I guess.  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2022, 12:12:24 am
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/harley-davidson-hd350-hd500-qianjiang-partnership/
First Photos of Harley-Davidson HD350 and HD500

The idea of a small, parallel-twin Harley-Davidson was first announced way back in 2019 as part of a plan to join forces with China’s giant Qianjiang group; now not one but two such bikes have been type-approved for sales in China.

Originally, this small Harley was to be called the 338R, reflecting a 338cc capacity achieved by combining the stroke of Qianjiang’s 300cc twin with the bore of its larger 500cc motor. However, since then, the Chinese firm has introduced its own 353cc version of the engine, and that’s the unit that will appear in the smallest of the Harley-Davidsons, internally called “HD350″ but wearing badges that appear to read “X350.”

As shown in the sole photograph accompanying the type approval, the production machine is essentially identical to the sketches Harley showed back in 2019, with a flat-track-inspired shape. It’s wrapped around a set of ready-made chassis components, largely borrowed from the Benelli 302S roadster. Benelli is, of course, owned by Qianjiang. The Chinese market QJMotor SRK350 also uses the same parts, as well as an identical 353cc engine.

That engine, according to the approval documents, is good for 36 hp in the Harley HD350, but it has a relatively hefty load to move. Ready to ride, the quoted weight of the smallest Harley is 430 pounds. The type approval says the result is a top speed of 89 mph. Other figures on the paperwork include a wheelbase of 55.5 inches, while the wheels, which appear identical to those used on the Benelli 302S, wear 120/70-17 rubber at the front and 160/60-17 at the rear. The suspension and brakes are straight from the Benelli 302S, including the petal-style front discs and upside-down fork.

But the HD350 isn’t the only fruit of the project. Harley is also making the HD500 (potentially to be called X500), a 500cc twin based around the chassis and engine of the Benelli Leoncino 500. Also type-approved in China, the X500 makes 47 hp and weighs in at 456 pounds wet. Top speed is 99 mph, and the wheelbase is 57 inches, while the wheels and tires are the same sizes as the HD350. The larger bike has bigger brake discs and radial-mount calipers—directly from the Leoncino 500—and its styling is more traditional cruiser than the HD350, particularly toward the rear.

Both bikes are made by a joint venture company set up by Harley-Davidson and Qianjiang, going by the name Zhejiang Jisheng Motor Vehicle Co., Ltd. This brand was originally established in 2021, but was only awarded a license to manufacture motorcycles by the Chinese government as recently as November 2022. This delay likely explains the long gap between the announcement of the project and the type approval of these finished-looking bikes.

Will the small Harleys be sold outside Asia? That remains unknown at the moment. The intention is clearly to attract new riders to the brand in markets like China where full-size Harleys are unaffordable to most riders. However, given the components shared with globally sold Benelli models there’s no reason that the bikes couldn’t be approved for sale in Western markets if there’s a hunger for them.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 04:44:05 am
That 500 has some serious stopping power!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 06:01:50 am
QJ looks to be skipping the HD middleman, they are filing to sell bikes stateside.

" The QJMotor machines are largely based on the same engines and frames used by Benelli models, but feature their own distinct appearance. Models listed on the US VIN document include the SRT750X, an adventure bike using the same engine as the Benelli TRK800, as well as the SRV550 (a 50 hp parallel-twin cruiser), SRV300 V-twin cruiser, the 76 hp SRK750 roadster and the full-faired SRK400RR sportbike, which uses a 43 hp twin.

Other notable models included in document are the brand’s electric models, the QJMotor G2 and EZ scooters, plus the Q2, a hybrid between a mountain bike and an enduro, powered by a 3kW (4 hp) motor and a 60V, 32Ah battery to give a 75-mile range and 30 mph top speed. "

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 12, 2023, 04:14:38 pm
From 2CV, "My New 2022 Honda Ruckus":
One of the most interesting things is that there is absolutely no (zero) "starter sound" with this machine. You press the button & it's just running with no starter motor sound at all. Honda has electronically rigged the alternator to be a starter until the engine is running & then it becomes an alternator. It's almost like it starts by magic. The ECU that manages this thing is huge. It's 1/2 of that lump in front of your knees. The other half is battery.

This is the kind of hardware that HD should have been selling in tandem all along - a cheap, convenient, fun transporter with a lot of "gee whizz" going for it to build that new customer base. Maybe when QJ buys out the current idiots running HD into the dust THEY'LL field some machines designed to build a base of new riders. Honda has developed a cult-like following because they have done the leg work, not because they are following a dying demographic thru their life's trajectory.

It's possible that QJ might have help from the Politbureau to acquire HD. That would either show Chinese dominance over American industry OR become an "olive branch" of cooperation to smooth over pre-conflict jitters. HD isn't exactly National Defense related and they definitely need a new direction. It's obvious the current Board of Directors isn't going to do anything sane.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 04:22:42 pm by AzCal Retred »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 12, 2023, 08:46:26 pm
I am not seeing any olive branches up in the sky lately.  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 12:12:58 am
We could be giving Xi a reason to clean house in his military. Fire some Generals, all is forgiven, back to buying flip-flops, fortune cookies and DOD mainframe processors.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 06:05:44 pm
What always angered me about HD is their refusal to make anything even CLOSE to what I want to buy. Let me 'splain.

I've always considered the engine to be the heart and soul of any motorcycle. I respect and admire great engineering, and in my opinion, a good engine is smooth and powerful, reliable for years, is efficient , and keeps its fluids inside.

I've studied the anomaly of the Harley-Davidson V-twin for decades. I have yet to understand it. A hundred years ago, when horsepower and torque was measured in single digits,  someone got the bright idea to use a single crank pin, and have both pistons fire in quick succession. It worked, and also created a very narrow engine, suitable for the narrow machines of the day.

Fast forward a hundred years and it is possible to make a smooth, powerful, reliable V-twin that isn't trying to shake itself to pieces without a gigantic counterweight.

But HD customers seem to embrace the rumble of the weird firing order and the vibrations above all else. Efficiency be damned.

As a proud American I would pay a premium if HD would build a decent engine. I owned a 2002 V-Rod, and I think they came pretty close. Pretty close. And of course, they discontinued it.

Please comment freely!
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2023, 11:28:36 pm
I'm witchew. HD always seemed to be to me a single model dealership, like if Honda only sold Gold Wings in 1200cc & 1500cc flavors.

As their (HD's) market dies off (literally) I think QJ may be in a position to acquire the dealer network. They have already participated in the development of two different models with HD, the V-twin 300 and the Parallel twin 350. They know how HD's "paper tiger" functions and likely some particulars of the company's financials. Unless it's just cheaper and as effective to start over without the psychic (psychotic?) baggage. QJ has a contemporary fleet which should be available at a reasonable price point. HD seems busy selling rolling artwork to folks rooted in yesteryear, not developing new customers. It doesn't appear they are excessively interested in keeping older hardware running, looks more an aftermarket task. QJ probably isn't either, so another common point. Buy any necessary spares when you purchase the machine, eh?

IF HD actually wanted to move forward, there is LOTS of design talent in-country.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 01:15:00 pm
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 03:47:37 pm
Excerpts from your article. There it is, coulda - shoulda - woulda. Once again the bean-counters and pursuit of short-term corporate profits put the buyer back in the muck. BSA/Triumph/Norton failed to progress with much the same outcome. Royal Enfield is pursuing a process of actual gradual improvement in response to market demand, so far so good. The LC450 engine will likely be their functional "Nova" and produce many spin offs, maybe even an LC900 version of the Interceptor 650. Can't wait for my affordable, average-size-guy version of the KLR650.

At the heart of the project lay top-secret engines—to be developed in collaboration with Porsche—that would have knocked much of the motorcycle world on its duff, had they all been brought to production. Though technical specifics are a little sketchy even to this day, the line would have included modular liquid-cooled double overhead cam engines in 400 or 500cc increments: a 60 degree V-twin displacing 400cc or 500cc, a V-4 displacing 800cc or 1000cc and a V-6 displacing 1200cc or 1500cc.

The Nova design was sleek and slippery and unlike any Harley before—note the fuel filler cap above the right saddle bag on the rear fender.
That would allow use of common bore and stroke dimensions, that would enable use of some common components such as pistons, connecting rods, rings and so on across the entire line. Output would have been targeted for about 135 hp from the top of the line models. Each version would include counterbalancers.

All of the engines would be oversquare bore/stroke configurations with the short stroke enabling much higher revving engines than the long-stroke V-twins in use. Initial models would have two valves per cylinder, but the heads were designed to allow transition to a four valve layout without completely re-designing them.
The engines included what appear to be conventional air-cooling fins, even though they would all be liquid cooled. Porsche was selected to develop the engine and five speed transmissions for each variant in the Nova series. Harley’s design team handled chassis and all other aspects of product development.
Fuel delivery would have been by carburetor, as was common practice, but fuel injection would also be in the plan. From there, things were in for big changes. For example, for the first time since the WWII-era XA, final drive would have been shaft, at least in the initial designs. Ultimately, the lighter and cheaper option of using belt final drive was selected.

A pressed steel main frame uses the engine as a structural member, so without a cradle design no front downtubes are necessary giving the bike a cleaner look as well reducing chassis weight. Elegant, aerodynamic bodywork for touring versions included sleek saddlebags with integral turn signals and a low-profile top box. Wind tunnel testing of each version was done to minimize drag and turbulence while maximizing aesthetics, which were under the design direction of Willie G. Davidson.

Looking back on the Nova project one can’t help but wonder what impact it might have had. Release of the V-4 models was slated for 1981—a full year before Honda rolled out its own V-4 powered bikes.
The implications of beating Honda—and everybody else, for that matter—to the market with a high-tech V-4 could have been game-changing in both the domestic and international motorcycle market for Harley-Davidson, when coupled with the introduction of the Evolution engine for the air-cooled V-twin segment of the business.

That achievement, coupled with the rapid deployment of fuel-injected V-6-powered superbikes before the competition had time to catch their breath in the wake of the V-4’s roll-out and the addition of a new DOHC smaller displacement V-twin could have had all of the Motor Company’s competitors spending a lot of overtime on R & D and their Directors of Product Development munching Rolaids till they frothed at the mouth.
The face of racing and Harley-Davidson’s place in it would have been changed dramatically, as well. Nova would have given tuners, builders and riders the potential for monster horsepower with implications in drag racing, road racing, land speed racing; you name it.

The scramble to catch up would have been like the Keystone Cops as the competition would have had to try to figure out where to counter-punch first. It would have planted Harley-Davidson firmly atop market segments it had basically conceded to everyone else up to that time.