Author Topic: 1959 Indian Trailblazer  (Read 18575 times)

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
on: May 23, 2022, 09:41:24 am
Yeah mate, I'm picking up my 1959 Indian Trailblazer in the morning. It's coming over from Tasmania and i pick it up at the terminal at 6am. Brrrr, it'll be cold. Cant wait to get it in the shed and give it the once over.

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 01:56:52 am
Does anyone have any info on Dodaw Dodax lights. A quick search indicates it's an American brand used on a lot of old Mopar trucks. I'm chasing the bracket that it fits on too. I can buy a Constellation bracket and put a Lucas Light on but I really like this big ol' round unit.
See pics...
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 03:54:38 pm
Those sometimes were adapted on the original bracket. Allso see Michael Waller's Trailblazer restoration videos on YouTube.
You would have to make an adaptor plate, I guess.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 07:59:22 am
Thanks grumbern, I've watched all Michael Wallers vids. I've checked the parts book and the TRailblazer is listed as using a Lucas 525 tail light assembly. Not sure what I'll do. Everything needs updating so I'm trying to get my head around too much at the moment. I can get the tail light bracket and tail light from H's. I already have a cuppla tail lights in the bits tub but not sure what they are yet.

I must say, I like the old round one.

That's a nice example you posted grumbern, is that yours?
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 08:23:03 am
No, it's not mine. I found this on the net, mine is a Chief, but allso 1959:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=21851.0

As your's isn't the only one with a different tail light, it could have been due to some regulation requiring a different mark or something in some places of the US the Lucas light didn't match?! Or it lookes more American/Indian like, or the dealers wanted to get rid of their old stock, or they were just used as replacement and more obtainable - who knows!?
Best wishes,
Andreas
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 08:28:27 am by grumbern »

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 09:37:00 am
Yes, I agree. Those Dodaw Dodax tail lights were used on Dodge trucks so there were probably plenty around at the time and there is no doubt they look way cooler than the Lucas ones. Anyway, I'll see how I go. Maybe I can get hold of Michaels pattern for the tail light cowl.
REgards
Tv

Btw, I tried looking at your Chief post but it no longer displays the photos, only one of the magazine cover and your Chief looks stunning. Love the colour.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:46:51 am by TonyVanda »
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 12:29:04 pm
Ah, that's this http/https related problem. You can try and open the pictures in a new tab. Maybe you can disable this security option for this site on your browser, then you should be able to see the pictures again.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 11:13:28 am
Hey grumbern, I managed to see all the pictures of your post. What a splendid job on your Chief. Thanks for the tips. Seems i have a long way to go. I wont be going through as much perferction as yourself but I still want to get my bike to an authentic standard. Along with your post and Michael Wallers great YouTube playlist, I'm on my way.

Last night tried to disassemble the rear wheel but the removable hub is not being very removable. There is always a challenge. I'll try get some pictures happening.

Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 12:22:27 pm
Hey All, I need some help with this rear wheel cush drive. This does not look like the setup for a quick detachable wheel, which I believe should be on this bike. The bolts you see sticking out of the cush drive go through the wheel hub and bolt on the other side to hold the wheel on. Can anyone clue me up as to whether this is normal? (see pics below) Thanks

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 05:02:44 pm
That looks like a previous owner modification. There should be 6 driving pins (pegs) bolted through the hub, with their plain ends slotting into the back of the cush drive shell. This allows for Q/D rear wheel removal, which the PO obviously didn't want. The Parts book is your friend.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/3048

That's for the '59 Super Meteor, effectively the same bike.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 11:09:45 pm
Thanks Adrian, I figured as much. I'm wondering whether that was a mod people did for a reason and whether the hub assemblies ever came like that from the factory?

I'm going to pull that cush drive apart and compare the cush drive shell with another known quick detach hub.

Thanks for the help.
Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 07:26:00 am
Judging from the picture, to me it just looks like the bolts are only rusted/seized in the damper unit. Try removing the three nuts holding everything together and see, how these six bolts look from the other side.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 07:56:45 am
Right on the ball are you blokes. I removed the cush drive plate and sure enough, the locating bolts are rusted into the plate. I've soaked them and they will tap out so i can clean it all up ready to paint. It's all original. Thanks for the tips.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 12:16:56 pm
G'day All, Can someone please clue me up on how this bearing thing works? It looks like this cap should screw out. The holes in the cap looks like someone used a punch or similar on those holes. I need to find out what the story is before I wreck something. Thanks in advance.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 01:27:06 pm
I wonder if those holes weren't an attempt to extract it?
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor