Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Exhaust Spied, Looks Sleek  (Read 1309 times)

Bike kharido

• Best Bike in India 2024 | New Bike Prices, Image | BikeKharido
  • Scooter
  • Everything about bike
Royal Enfield is usually known for making everything large and macho. But, such a strategy is set to change with the launch of the Himalayan 450 as the latest adventure bike is every bit un-Royal Enfield. Bearing no resemblance to the existing oil-cooled Himalayan, the upcoming 450 is expected to be a giant step-up with segment standard technologies and features.

https://bikekharido.in/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-exhaust-spied-looks-sleek/
#1 Best Bike in India 2024: Check out the list of best bikes 2024 available in the market. Get bike comparison, price, mileage, review, images on BikeKharido. Checkout Top 10 bike in India

https://bikekharido.in/best-bike-in-india/

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 10:28:52 pm
I've seen a few "spy shot" pictures of these machines, I reported an article myself, in the Himalayan section of the forum, back in the beginning of April.

But I'm starting to wonder WHY folks are calling this a "Himalayan", since it seems to have nothing in common with those machines?

In fact, I'm wondering if it is even from Royal Enfield at all?  I haven't seen manufacturer badges showing in any of the pictures, and all the body work seems to be covered.  As far as I've seen, it hasn't been spotted riding in company with other, more identifiable RE developmental prototypes either.

How do we know this isn't a Suzuki or a Honda?  Has RE made any official declarations that these prototypes are part of a project they are working on?  Was there announcement of a water cooled engine project, perhaps from the tech center in Leicestershire, or outsourced elsewhere?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 02:05:37 am
"But I'm starting to wonder WHY folks are calling this a "Himalayan", since it seems to have nothing in common with those machines?"

Remember the Ford Mustang? How it became a Pinto for awhile after achieving "Land Yacht" status? From the golden, supercharged typewriters of the luxurious & exquisitely well appointed Marketing Division offices all things are possible... :o

But I'm with you, developing a completely clean sheet modern design for an admittedly niche market seems very out of character for R.E.  Polishing & repurposing the Twin seems more probable, sort of an "SL350" for the 2020's. The Meteor 350 has yet to grow into a Super Meteor 500cc variant. And they could always just tee up a Chinese engined machine or purchase Japanese engine copyright if they wanted to play into the horsepower game with minimal R&D. Revvy, high HP machines seem to not fit their India marketing strategy, and as you've pointed out the outside world market is actually pretty small potatoes.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 11:33:45 pm

But I'm with you, developing a completely clean sheet modern design for an admittedly niche market seems very out of character for R.E.  Polishing & repurposing the Twin seems more probable, sort of an "SL350" for the 2020's. The Meteor 350 has yet to grow into a Super Meteor 500cc variant. And they could always just tee up a Chinese engined machine or purchase Japanese engine copyright if they wanted to play into the horsepower game with minimal R&D. Revvy, high HP machines seem to not fit their India marketing strategy, and as you've pointed out the outside world market is actually pretty small potatoes.
There was some talk, back in 2018 about RE development projects codenamed "P", "J", "Q", and "K", along with speculation about what these might eventually turn out to be.  "P" was the 650 twin, and we've found out that "J" is the OHC 350 single variants.  If "K" turns out to be their first water cooled engine, I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, since water cooling will give the best chance of meeting evolving emissions standards.   But, this is certainly not the codename interpretation the the article I read had come up with.  That article suggested that "J"ack, "Q"ueen, and "K"ing were appropriate monikers, and that the "K" project designs would be competing with big cc bikes, like Triumphs.

Still, maybe it is an RE project development prototype.  Even if the whole idea seems to have started just last january with a rendering commissioned by Bikewale, somebody must be getting an inside scoop.  The spy shots just make me think of too many UTube videos I've watched, with names like, "Is it BIGFOOT?!!!".