Author Topic: My magnetic tank bag blew off the bike twice today  (Read 162 times)

BlackdogADV

• Aging adventure rider
  • Bulleteer
Yes it was windy but that’s pretty normal around here.  I had the bag tethered to the handle bars so I didn’t loose it.  I’m looking for a better solution, maybe a bar bag?

I probably shouldn’t be doing this

Quest

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:42:34 am
Yes it was windy but that’s pretty normal around here.  I had the bag tethered to the handle bars so I didn’t loose it.  I’m looking for a better solution, maybe a bar bag?
If you like the tank bag. You can add "strong magnets" to the inside of the tank bag. Find them on Amazon, etc. Not expensive. just put them inside. EZ/PZ That is what I did.

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:23:51 am

You can always get a strap-on!!!  ;D
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

BlackdogADV

• Aging adventure rider
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:32:00 am
If you like the tank bag. You can add "strong magnets" to the inside of the tank bag. Find them on Amazon, etc. Not expensive. just put them inside. EZ/PZ That is what I did.

I did that right after I got the bag.  I’ll add some more.
I probably shouldn’t be doing this

Knacker

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:58:21 am
Never had my bag shift around, but it came with a safety strap at the front. Do they not all?

I opened up the tooling hole forward of the tank to fit an M6 rivnut. Now I attach the strap with a bolt.

Photos show the rivnut installed, ready to attach tankbag, and with a dummy screw when not using the bag.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:01:09 am by Knacker »

agagliardi

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:21:20 pm
I truly hate tank bags. Tend to scratch or dull the paint, and just detract from the riding experience. So many better ways to carry luggage-  rear seat bag, saddlebags, rear rack, sissy bar(gasp!), or even bungee cords or net. I would even prefer the somewhat annoying  backpack or better yet a shoulder bag diagonally worn tight to the back. 
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

deadbat

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:51:54 pm
I truly hate tank bags. Tend to scratch or dull the paint, and just detract from the riding experience. So many better ways to carry luggage-  rear seat bag, saddlebags, rear rack, sissy bar(gasp!), or even bungee cords or net. I would even prefer the somewhat annoying  backpack or better yet a shoulder bag diagonally worn tight to the back.

Agree with everything you said. Don't see the practicality of tank bags. If you have just a few documents, put them in your pocket or get a small shoulder bag/courier bag.
Besides if things go south and tank bag flies off it can really cause some problems.
2022 RE Interceptor 650

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: Today at 12:15:52 am
During the early 70's tank bags were considered quite "European," And as such a useful tool for the "sophisticated rider."

Kevin Cameron even wrote an article extolling their virtues. His contention and that of the guys that liked them were that they centralized the mass better than hanging the same amount of weight off the back of the bike so whatever you were carrying had less impact on the handling, than strapping it to your luggage rack.

I'm not a huge fan of them but did use them on my toaster tank BMW and on a few bikes thereafter, and in fact still use one on occasion.  I like the convenience, and mine has a clear top pocket for maps, directions etc, an important feature for an old codger like me that doesn't like using a GPS on his bike.

I generally use it to carry small items I might need in a hurry: my wallet, change for tolls, cigars and anything else, like a bottle of water that I might want to grab quickly, without dismounting and rummaging through my saddlebags.

But like Agaliardi mentioned they are tough on the tank's finish and always seem to be in the way, especially when it's time to fill up.

In my opinion they're an acquired taste, kind of like Royal Enfield's in general. ;D