Author Topic: Himalayan 2020?  (Read 3083 times)

londongripper

• Scooter
on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:53 pm
Has anyone had any luck figuring out when the 2020 Himalayan is going to arrive (or will be available to order?). I've heard three things from dealers, "not coming to Europe", "no comment", "able to order in March". I'm sure most of you already have a Himalayan, but I am looking to switch over from another bike eventually, and I can't wait to get the order placed (I know the previous versions are similar, but barely discounted, so I'd rather buy the new one, with switchable ABS).

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:42:57 am
Has anyone had any luck figuring out when the 2020 Himalayan is going to arrive (or will be available to order?). I've heard three things from dealers, "not coming to Europe", "no comment", "able to order in March". I'm sure most of you already have a Himalayan, but I am looking to switch over from another bike eventually, and I can't wait to get the order placed (I know the previous versions are similar, but barely discounted, so I'd rather buy the new one, with switchable ABS).
I got a 2020 Himalayan here in the US, but it is essentially identical to the 2019.  The new changes (like switchable ABS) did not make it onto the US models, and it sounds like it hasn't made it to the European versions yet either?

londongripper

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:42:11 am
I talked to (yet another) dealer at a motorcycle show, and he said "we should know more in about a month, but they essentially haven't changed". They  did have the newer rock-red version on display at the show, but I didn't see that new ABS switch on the dash, so I'm assuming old model with new paint option just as a demo. I asked him about the ABS becoming switchable, or if they'll skip that for now and he said "yeah, ABS, will be switchable." So, essentially, it'll be March (I hope), at least in Europe it seems, and they're all trying to sell existing stock (which I completely understand). He also said what many other dealers seem to have told me, they have barely any insight into how many and what bikes they'll get and when. I have no details on how dealers run their business, but that statement seems super odd, yet again, it's what every single one I talked to told me, so there's that.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:41:59 am
The importer must really suck, or RE in India provides little communication.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

londongripper

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:37 am
Just in case anyone is still reading along here, I've now called a dealer recommended to me (EU) and asked if I can order the upcoming model (Rock Red, for instance). They called the importer and confirmed it'll be in the shop by end of April, and I can order it with them now.

quebbeck

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 02:40:21 am
Greetings from Germany!

I bought my first motorcycle a week ago (and just registered to this forum). It is a 2020 Royal Enfield Himalayan in Rock Red. The bike arrived at the dealership last Tuesday and will be delivered to my place  tomorrow afternoon. :-) I will post tomorrow whether my bike has switchable ABS.

EDIT: The bike has just arrived, no switchable ABS and no hazard lights. It is the same as the older model, just with a new color.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:53:27 am by quebbeck »

londongripper

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:24 am
Hello! Wait what? Are you sure? They only changed the colour? I talked to a dealer in London at a motorcycle show and asked him if it's just a colour upgrade or switchable ABS coming in April and he said no no, should be all the new things.  I need to check with my dealer (where I ordered the 2020) then, this is alarming.

Can you share a photo of the bike maybe? Would be super interesting to see.

quebbeck

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:47:49 am
Hi,

sure, here are some pictures of the bike. Sorry for the bad image quality, I still have to wait about a week to get the paperwork and then wait another week or so to get it registered (things are slow due to coronavirus).

I was surprised to see that the owners manual I got still says Euro IV. The seller emphasized that this is the 2020 model he just freshly got from the import company. EDIT: I just checked the vehicle identification number, the bike was indeed built in 2020.

My bike has a LED front light as well as engine protection bars, both which I purchased as an additional upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:10:51 pm by quebbeck »

quebbeck

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 11:52:24 am
And here the pictures in better light I got upfront from the seller a few days ago...

londongripper

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 11:57:20 am
Hey! Thanks for the photos! The bike looks fantastic. That definitely clears it up I think — the European 2020 models don't come with switchable ABS then. Bummer.

It doesn't change much in terms of the bike itself (I'll still keep my order with the dealer), but I just hoped they'd send the bikes over with the same features they're having in India now. Hm.

Either way, congrats on having it already! You must be among the very first few in Europe, haven't seen anything anywhere (except for one Facebook post in the Netherlands).

Let's hope this crisis passes quickly and you'll be on the road before the summer!

wfrpalm

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 01:14:44 pm
Nice looking bike, have fun.