Author Topic: New Guy. Cool Build. Lots of Questions.  (Read 9712 times)

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: January 27, 2020, 01:09:53 am
That's why I thought it would have been fitted to USA  bikes, because of the stricter emissions laws some states have. This system is similar to the old pav air injection. It operates on a vacuum from the inlet to open a valve to allow air into the exhaust, but only on a closed throttle, I think. This is one of the many reasons why my enfield are euro3  by choice and not euro4.
Off route, recalculate?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 01:29:56 am
That's why I thought it would have been fitted to USA  bikes, because of the stricter emissions laws some states have. This system is similar to the old pav air injection. It operates on a vacuum from the inlet to open a valve to allow air into the exhaust, but only on a closed throttle, I think. This is one of the many reasons why my enfield are euro3  by choice and not euro4.

Yes... that is how I understand how they work.    Whether it effects mapping with an o2 sensor in the head pipe, I'm not sure ?    It is quite possible that OC was gifted a California bike , and it still does not have a PAV system on it.     I don't believe they ever did.   A California bike would be OK for the rest of the States, because they go beyond the minimum Federal Standards.    But he's racing it off road, so it wou  matter much anyway.

If you buy a PC-V here in the States from any dealer.... except the old CMW.   It will come with a " canned" map it , based off of a EURO or UK  Black dot 8809-100174 ECU.   I believe this is because Dynojet UK  was the first to use a PC-V on these bikes.  And when they Started offering them here in the States... even directly from Dynojet.    They just contained the same canned Map.... same company, UK and US.     The canned maps that I have seen that were made here in the States ARE a little different.    Now, that could be because of a different program in the ECU Or different fuel used , or just how the guy tuned the bike ?     But I would always assume that the ECU are different and tune accordingly . 

I can tell you that the Euro black dot ECU  "canned map" in the PC-V  add's a lot MORE fuel , with a stock exhaust and stock or aftermarket air cleaner , then a US Canned map  with an after market Silencer  and a  K&N  air filter.     So that it telling me , for less mods on the Euro ECU ... it requires a greater amount of fuel  to reach a similar target Air fuel ratio.   Then does the US version with more mods.   That tell's me the Euro ECU is set up to run leaner then our version...   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:59:00 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

OC_Racing_Knights

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 02:51:00 am
Our bike is a California emissions  bike

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 03:02:11 am
Our bike is a California emissions  bike

I figured it was when I saw that California canister contraption ... ;D ;)     Plug that pub on the intake manifold !

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 04:04:59 pm
  I'm not sure where the Idea of Euro IV Bullets in the US comes from ......  MAYBE just the ABS?     

Maybe it's the rear disk brake, which is about the only distinguishing feature one can pick up in a internet picture.  Or it could be that there's never been any mention anywhere of a US or NA version since the days of the CI bullets.  Or it could be the fact that announcements for the Euro 4's back when it was about to be released, called it a "Global" version, and distinguished it from the Domestic version.  Green stickers say "Export", Orange say "Domestic", Pink were for 535 "Export", seems simple enough.  What color stickers do the Euro bikes get?

I'm sure the information is out there, somewhere, but perhaps not in a clear and concise manner.  I can say "I've never seen any variation in RE 500 ECUs", which could mean, I've never seen a bike earlier than 2010 or later than 2016, or it could mean, I've never seen a Euro 4 bike, cause they are only in Europe, or it could mean, every ECU on every 500 ever made are identical.  It's no wonder some people are confused.  Pictures help.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: January 28, 2020, 02:00:29 pm
Euro 3 ecu in Scotland.
Off route, recalculate?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 10:53:55 pm
  Yeah... that's the same one as OC's and mine.   The difference on mine is a green dot instead of that sticker.   The 571056/a and 630P-1992-000 part numbers match.    What year is your bike Haggis ? 

OC_Racing_Knights

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 12:35:29 pm
Last night we focused on a potential tank swap and started laying fiberglass for our new seat.

OC_Racing_Knights

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 02:06:53 pm
Our seat mold was a success. Now just need to do a little sanding and bondo work to make it smooth

One of our students too it upon themselves to machine out a custom brass plug for where the starter used to go. I really like the look of it and it should go well with the theme of the bike.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 07:05:25 pm
That plug is a quality piece of work, well done.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 10:40:33 pm
The seat pan, too.  Well done, gentlemen.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

OC_Racing_Knights

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: February 19, 2020, 12:34:44 am
Here's a quick time lapse of what we got done last week. Notice any new parts on the bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W80RxE9-gdg&feature=youtu.be

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: February 19, 2020, 12:24:55 pm
  Yeah... that's the same one as OC's and mine.   The difference on mine is a green dot instead of that sticker.   The 571056/a and 630P-1992-000 part numbers match.    What year is your bike Haggis ?

The bike was registered on the road in 2018 but the vin number indicates the letter G for the year which would be 2016.
Off route, recalculate?

OC_Racing_Knights

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: February 24, 2020, 09:15:26 pm
The Honda front end has been successfully grafted on to the RE frame.

OC_Racing_Knights

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: March 12, 2020, 02:19:26 pm
We've been a little MIA on the RE the past few weeks as we were trying to get a different bike done for a show. Now that thats over, its all hands on deck on this build again. We got the front end done (sans wheel spacers) and figured out how our tank and tail section are going to mount to the frame.