Author Topic: too low  (Read 947 times)

BruLan

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 28, 2024, 09:02:32 pm
Hmm, The early slabbies and later Gixers were Twin Shocks both 750's and 11's
They had three way adjustable Shocks and USD Forks after 89 again three way adjustable
That's Preload - Compression & Rebound front and back an utter myriad of complexity and settings 
The Mk3's 600, &750's and 000's had the Mono shock easier to set up
Interestingly the TL1000(S) had a rotary shock that was fun too , never quite worked on such a steep raked bike,
I do realise he Bullet has conventional twin shocks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:38:25 pm by BruLan »
On the upward path of a learning curve

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 11:44:47 am
The shock absorbers off the 2004-2008 Electra-X were longer than the standard Bullet @ 320mm for some reason, maybe a set of those with the extra 30mm would help.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/2747?qty=2&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F6136

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 01:09:16 pm
Careful not to go too long over-standard. If you angle the swingarm too far down, you mess up the paralell-ness of the swingarm and brake rod. This can lead to the brake camming itself on if you go over a compression while applying the brake. I had this happen on my trials bike which I fitted over-standard shocks to. It spun the brake plate locking the rear wheel, destroying the brake plate, snapping the shoes, shearing off the anti-rotation pin and buckling the plate on the swingarm. All in a fraction of a second. I landed up making a cable conversion for it as i needed the longer shocks and higher ground clearance.

It also cocks-up the chain tension meaning you need to have it way too loose so it doesn't go way too tight on compression.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 11:06:22 am
The shock absorbers off the 2004-2008 Electra-X were longer than the standard Bullet @ 320mm for some reason, maybe a set of those with the extra 30mm would help.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/2747?qty=2&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F6136

A.

Same type of shocks with the piggyback chamber came standard on my 350 Bullet Electra. As far as I know the frame is no different to earlier Indian made bikes.
Paul W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 02:33:30 pm
With these that's only an extra 30mm to worry about, enough for a little more clearance without throwing all the other geometry out. The Electra-X is basically standard Bullet at the back end despite the detail differences.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Super45

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 11:40:38 am
Hmm, The early slabbies and later Gixers were Twin Shocks both 750's and 11's
They had three way adjustable Shocks and USD Forks after 89 again three way adjustable
That's Preload - Compression & Rebound front and back an utter myriad of complexity and settings 
The Mk3's 600, &750's and 000's had the Mono shock easier to set up
Interestingly the TL1000(S) had a rotary shock that was fun too , never quite worked on such a steep raked bike,
I do realise he Bullet has conventional twin shocks

I believe you're confusing the earlier GSX 750/1100 Models (square headlight, unfaired,  twin shock UJM ( universal Japanese motorcycle) from 1980.

GSX-R 750/1100 has been mono shock since its introduction in '85 to the best of my knowledge.

although I have seen photos of racing bikes using twin shocks in a mono shocks set up but forget the manufacturer and may of been from the 70's but to my knowledge this has never been on a mainstream road bike.

I agree a bespoke set up would most likely be un-needed for  a standard Bullet but we don't know the exact details of how much luggage the OP is carrying with rider and pillion  etc.

AndyMcP

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 07:46:57 am
I have seen 172Kg quoted as max payload for a Bullet.  That figure includes all fluids.  So an average rider and adult pillion is putting you close to that figure (if not over due to the excesses of modern life).  As the manufacturer has provided pre-load adjustable rear shocks as standard, it would appear reasonable that they should be utilised when approaching maximum payload.

Just saying...  ;)