Author Topic: Small tube from PAV-system  (Read 3543 times)

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 01:44:12 am
"On a related note, I'm led to understand that some of the Indian home market Bullets had some extra sort of screw-type inlet thereabouts on the manifold to allow a bit of extra air in to lean out the air-fuel mixture a tad for work at very high elevations, like up in those Himilayans."

Yes my '95 Bullet had this setup before I bought it.  An air pipe from the top of the air box to the inlet manifold with a valve in line that could be adjusted to add more air to the mix when at high altitudes.
Removed and discarded, of no use here in Australia.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 01:06:15 pm
High altitude operation. Sometimes I don't know what I don't know. Any other bikes sport that option ?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 01:55:18 pm
High altitude operation. Sometimes I don't know what I don't know. Any other bikes sport that option ?

Well, we've all sadly (for my limited understanding, at least) moved on from the humble but reliable mechanical carburetor, but one DOES hear tell of some special new ECU mapping upgrade/update for the 650s available from Royal Enfield for better high altitude operation, at least in their home market: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rideapart.com/articles/355240/royal-enfield-continental-gt-650-interceptor-650-ecu-high-altitude-recall-coming/amp/

Whether this update may be available, or already incorporated on their export models, I cannot guess, but if you're choking and knocking on your 650 up in the Rockies, Andes, Alps or Mexico City (elevation 7,382 feet or 2,250 meters), it might be worth asking, Huh?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 02:37:04 pm
Ah, I should have asked were there any other carburetor bikes with that option?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 03:00:45 pm
Passive water injection is easiest with an outboard float bowl and jet tube, eliminating much complexity.
But it must be set up on the mouth of the carb, and not on the engine side of the slide or butterfly. Otherwise when the throttle is closed, all the water will get sucked into the engine from the high manifold vacuum.
It should be set up more like a power jet system.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 11:46:14 am
Passive water injection is easiest with an outboard float bowl and jet tube, eliminating much complexity.
But it must be set up on the mouth of the carb, and not on the engine side of the slide or butterfly. Otherwise when the throttle is closed, all the water will get sucked into the engine from the high manifold vacuum.
It should be set up more like a power jet system.

The earliest JC Whitney water injectors had a thin plate that contained the little water input fitting that you installed between the carb & the manifold. I installed one of these on my mom's '47 Chevy Fleetline in 1949 or '50. I was 12 and had already been driving her '36 Chevy (and tractors) at 11.

It "seemed" to run better, but I have no "official" evidence of that, of course. This was in Wyoming which has very low humidity.

The "New Improved" model mounted the water Inlet on top of the carb beFORE the butterfly (butterflies).
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 03:02:40 pm
I’m totally serious. Not sure about letting goats ride a bike though. Having spend the last three days and nights next to a field full of them, I wouldn’t trust any of them not to try to eat it.

Still, I’m not bleating about it.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 03:48:05 pm
Correct, my bike has one. It can be used to help set up the idle, but has no further use.
Do you have a pic of it?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 04:28:44 pm
Correct, my bike has one. It can be used to help set up the idle, but has no further use.

Has one What? Which Post are you referring to?

Digital tach? Digital speedometer? Water injection?

If it's one of those little $2 Chinese tachs, I agree. They're useless and twitchy at anything above idle. Drove me nuts watching it. They're OK for a generator or lawnmower with a fixed operating RPM.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 04:33:12 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 07:04:40 pm
2CV, Im hoping Paul W is referring to the magic air screw some Bullets were equipped with for high elevation operation. Spiegam also referred to having one. Anybody have a shot of this setup?

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 09:29:05 pm
Here is the auxiliary air screw connector on my 350.

Sorry about the photo being rotated anti clockwise by 90 degrees!

The screw has a pointed end and sits in a conical seat, just like a brake bleed valve. It just allows air to bypass the carburettor. There was originally a clear plastic tube to the air box, supplying filtered air. My 350 is an Indian home market Electra, so presumably the factory catered for the rarified air when riding up in the Himalayan mountains.

The PAV equipped bikes had a similar adapter with a second pipe stub. That was open to the inlet after the carburettor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:36:08 pm by Paul W »
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 09:46:50 pm
Well, there ya go. thanks Paul, I never would have guessed.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 10:10:58 pm
My Watsonian Squire workshop manual explains how to check and adjust the idle mixture by cracking open the screw. The principle being that If the idle speed markedly increases when doing so, the mixture is setup too rich and the mixture screw needs further adjustment. If it just falters when the screw is opened, it’s about right.
Paul W.