Author Topic: Panniers/saddlebags  (Read 5012 times)

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
on: December 06, 2019, 12:10:59 am
Amigos-

I am wondering if anyone has found a good leather set of saddlebags/panniers that will fit the INT650?  I've looked up canvas bags and the like, but think the old school leather bags are what I want.  I know there is a Spanish comapny that makes some, but they are wickedly expensive.  Anyone out there found a company that makes bags that are reasonable?

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 01:41:20 am
https://customspain.com/en/saddlebags-for-royal-enfield/1473-saddlebag-for-royal-enfield-intercepto-gt-650-mod-hercules-basic-left-adaptable-.html

These are excellent, not cheap, but good leather and excellent is never cheap. Mine were $330 shipped with the lock option, for the Classic 500.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 06:01:30 pm
I have seen those, and they are some good looking bags.  Might have to save up some scheckels.
How long did it take for shipping? 

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 11:11:26 pm
A while back our gear connoisseur Maddman Brad did a YouTube review on some leather panniers made in India that seemed tip-top for Bullets. By now they may have some befitting the 650s' high pipes. A lot of pretty reasonably priced and finely made leather goods, mostly made of good sturdy goat leather, comes out of Rajastan yonder, which is famous for the good stuff, and I expect Brad's review looked at some of the best of the best first quality gear chosen for export. Check out his review with a vendor link for ordering here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6nj6yeaDo.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:45:44 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 01:51:14 am
Bilgemaster, I first ordered some of those for my Classic, and they were decent, but far lower in quality than the ones from Custom Spain. The leather on my bags is much thicker, stiffer and better finished, as it should be for 3 the price. They took approx 3 weeks to arrive.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 11:03:16 am
Bilgemaster, I first ordered some of those for my Classic, and they were decent, but far lower in quality than the ones from Custom Spain. The leather on my bags is much thicker, stiffer and better finished, as it should be for 3 the price. They took approx 3 weeks to arrive.
9fingers

Like the Dylan ballad alluded, "Spanish Leather" has practically been a synonym for "Quality Leather" for centuries. Nowadays it's where those designer handbags often come from that cost more than most of our bikes. So yeah, if you can pony up the cash for it, that's where the really good stuff's likely to come from.

Here in the cheap seats, in addition to my factory metal "ammo box" panniers, I have grown to appreciate my Indian-made Stansport canvas saddlebags that you could pick up last week for about $15 direct from Stansport. Looks like they have since bumped up the price, so Amazon may have a better deal now, what with the shipping. They may not be fancy, but they get my socks wherever I'm going just fine.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:06:55 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 11:55:19 pm
I put a set of Nomad U.S.A. saddlebags on my Interceptor.  I removed the throw-over B.S. and found a set of solid pannier mounts that, with just a little modification, provide rock-solid mounting of any hard shell saddlebags.  Here are the bags.  https://www.motorcyclehouse.com/nomad-usa-slanted-braided-leather-motorcycle-saddlebags and here are the pannier mounts.  https://royalspares.com/products/brand-new-royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc-saddle-bag-carrier-pannier-mounting-set  I cut off the tabs on the pannier mounts that go to the top shock bolts because they are not needed, and cut off the "shelf' thst is a loop of tubing that goes under the panniers to allow mounting my bags lower.  Also had to find and install shorter rear turn signals to be able to mount the pannier mounts without interference.  These mounts are rock-solid.  Then I cut two pieces of 1/8' plywood that exactly fit inside the saddlebags up against the backs of the bags.  Then I used electrical conduit clamps around the pannier mount tubes and 1/4" bolts through the backs of the bags and plywood with large 1" fender washers inside.  I used plenty of Loctite on the nuts, then used my dremel tool to grind away the ends of the bolts that were protruding past the nuts inside of the bags.

These are not leather, they are very heavy-duty vinyl that LOOKS like leather but that is totally impervious to rain.  They are rigid and will hold their shape forever.  And yes, they look and feel like actual leather.  And they are a practical size and shape actually USEFUL.  I love 'em.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:31:05 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 04:18:14 am
not what you are asking for but givi says they will have brackets for panniers for the 650's shortly (in USA). then there will be several choices of hard lockable bags to choose from.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 07:44:13 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 03:24:07 pm
Good! So when I pick up and Interceptor this Summer there should be a range of luggage and windscreens to choose from. I was waiting for this to happen. Thanks for the news.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 05:24:12 am
Looking for something really  waterproof? Check out Stuart Fillingham's YouTube review, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & LOMO Adventure Motorcycle panniers! How waterproof are they?

At just 58 quid a pair (about 76 bucks) plus shipping from Scotland, we're talking some astonishingly affordable excellence here.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 06:57:26 am
I used the same manufacturer's (Lomo) roll pack for a 3,000mile Europe trip last year, + some camping in the UK.. it was top quality and it's still perfect. Recommend.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 11:01:04 pm
Good! So when I pick up and Interceptor this Summer there should be a range of luggage and windscreens to choose from. I was waiting for this to happen. Thanks for the news.
9fingers

Speaking of windshields, that RE bug deflector keeps the back of your gauges clean and sends turbulence to your navel but other than that it is purely cosmetic. That's why I took mine off. On my Triumph I have a Madstad windshield. It is amazing! Quick disconnect plus I added the QD lowers as well. It adjusts for height and tilt. The only downside is it is not generic. The mounts are model/year specific. That means they fit like factory but only for the model specified. Unfortunately, they don't make mounts for any RE. If they did I could simply move the shield from one bike to another. I might even buy mounts for some other bike and try to modify them. :o

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:14 pm
Looking for something really  waterproof? Check out Stuart Fillingham's YouTube review, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & LOMO Adventure Motorcycle panniers! How waterproof are they?

At just 58 quid a pair (about 76 bucks) plus shipping from Scotland, we're talking some astonishingly affordable excellence here.

Those look great! And cheap too. A little small but that is the problem with the up-swept exhausts.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350