Author Topic: Enfield Clipper  (Read 4514 times)

stev60

• Scooter
on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:03 pm
Have a 1954 Clipper 250 almost finished restoring, because wiring was almost non existant, I have a problem how to wire the magdyno as to what goes where the number on it is Lucas type DM3Gl  no regulator and does have coil, cant find any diagrams that help. There are 2 terminals near the points and two others , rest of wiring is done, because original switch on headlight was beyond repair ive used a basic light switch and a separate ignition switch in toolbox
Steve

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:59 pm
I might have something on the computer "somewhere" about the right vintage, let me have a look tomorrow.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

stev60

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:21:09 pm
great thanks

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:12:12 am
I have an old 'book of the Royal Enfield' . There are some wiring diagrams in that, I'll have a look and see if there are any for the Clipper that I can scan / photograph for you.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:25:03 am by Boxerman »

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:18:23 am
Are these of any use? the others are for alternator

I could email other bits scanned from the book if you wish? if you would PM me your email address and let me know what you need.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:21:43 am by Boxerman »

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 09:32:39 am
I've just re-read your post. You say you have a magdyno, a coil and an ignition switch.
You have confused me as a magdyno supplies the ignition, so a coil is not needed, or have you disabled yours in some way?

Frank

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:09:50 am
My holding reply was last night (UK time), and re-reading your post there is indeed a puzzle. Magdyno AND coil? The Lucas magdyno of the period was the MO1, a magneto designed to have the dynamo strapped on top, usually fitted to singles of 350cc and above after WWII. 250s tended to have coil ignition with poor old Lucas 6V dynamo having to run power that in addition to the lights.

If you have a functioning(!) 6V DC system, running power leads from the battery to the ignition switch, from the ignition switch to the coil and then from the coil to the points terminal ought not to be rocket science.

Steve, what EXACTLY do you have there? Does your bike look like THIS one from 1954, which actually has an alternator and points ignition?

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

stev60

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:18:04 pm
Adrian my mistake, no mag. mine looks like the photo but no alternator,  mine as you say would be a dynamo with points,  there is no regulator would that be right, having done up a couple of old BSAs was used to the regulator distributor setup. So wiring this should be straight forward. When I got it ran it briefly, but wiring was a mess.       

stev60

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:34:21 pm
Frank
thanks for those , what i have is just a straight dyno, the fact there was no regulator confused me a bit, bought a new wiring loom that was supposed to be for that model and it will do the job just has a heap more wires than I need :)

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 08:53:39 am
There is no mention of a Clipper with a dynamo and coil ignition in the book. It says either magdyno or alternator & coil, I've scanned the relevent pages.
I've also scanned the alternator / coil wiring diagrams in case they are of any use to you?

HTH
Frank
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:57:13 am by Boxerman »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 01:38:50 pm
A 6V alternator system is easily convertible to 12V, and it will further simplify what is already a pretty simple diagram, page 85 as Frank has helpfully scanned. I suspect that the headlamp casing will still happily accept one of the Indian copies of the original lighting switch too.

That still leaves the mystery of what's actually fitted to your bike. If '54 250 Clippers aren't supposed to have dynamos and you say yours DOES, are we looking at a dynamo/points assembly off another British 250 bike altogether, retro-fitted by a previous owner after the original alternator went south?

If you can't post pictures yet can you just confirm you don't have THIS?

Or anything on THIS list?

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/Parts%20lists/Lucas%20dynamo%20price%20list.pdf

I can't find any reference to a Lucas DM3Gl on an internet search. If you have the time, here's a link for a download of the entire Lucas motorcycle parts catalog(ue) form 1936-57!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xays4h3yhaaqt7h/lucas_mega.pdf/file

Whereabouts are you Steve? USA or UK, or somewhere else?

A.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 07:02:15 pm
If the bike is a 1954 Clipper. It would have a points, coil battery ignition with a charging system mounted in the primary.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

stev60

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 08:39:18 pm
Im in New Zealand, but thats no excuse for appearing dumb, :) I dont have that model MOl ,so definitley no mag. its papers say 1954 but that could be wrong, the motor has an S before the number which I believe was on the rigid models this one has plunger suspension and swinging arm, there is no charging in the primary. Stamped on the back of what I think is a dynamo is clearly Lucas type DM3Gl but a search showed nothing which seems a bit strange, Ive seen photos of bike with the same set up as this and   listed as 1954 Ill post one when I work out how. There are four connections a plug type on top and two screw type

stev60

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 08:44:47 pm
This bike would be the same as mine but the screw terminals in the front are behind that raised part and a lot harder to get at, it is advertised as 1954

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 09:06:08 pm
Try searching for Miller DM3G instead of Lucas.
I found this on a Velocette site:

https://images.app.goo.gl/iLeLbZdrvcTtjbpG6

Frank
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:16:39 pm by Boxerman »