Author Topic: brace in battery box area  (Read 1349 times)

kuri77

• Scooter
on: July 31, 2021, 07:29:03 pm
Hopefully not committing any sin by posting twice.  Actually posted in RE section by mistake rather than the Himalayan section.  Sorry about that.  Anyway, has anyone removed the 3" vertical bracket rear and to right of the battery?  Anyone know it's purpose?  I shook the box and it doesn't seem to be stabilizing anything.  Easier to service battery with it missing. 

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 09:12:25 pm
Hopefully not committing any sin by posting twice.  Actually posted in RE section by mistake rather than the Himalayan section.  Sorry about that.  Anyway, has anyone removed the 3" vertical bracket rear and to right of the battery?  Anyone know it's purpose?  I shook the box and it doesn't seem to be stabilizing anything.  Easier to service battery with it missing.

Not to be a smart ass but RE didn't install it for fun, if they could have left it off and saved a few pennies they would have. Next time mine's apart I'll take a look at it, but my advice would be leave it in there.  Of course you could leave it out and see what happens  :o
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:21:18 pm by zimmemr »

kuri77

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 11:03:19 pm
Agree however it might be stabilization for rough off-road of which I plan to do little if any.  I will leave it off for now and see if anything happens.  Fortunately very easy to see it by just taking seat off so no problem to monitor it.  Thanks for the reply

kuri77

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 12:53:29 am
So four months later and a 6500 mile trip to the east coast and back to Colorado and absolutely nothing regarding that brace so leaving it off forever so it is a breeze to remove battery.

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 10:59:44 pm
So four months later and a 6500 mile trip to the east coast and back to Colorado and absolutely nothing regarding that brace so leaving it off forever so it is a breeze to remove battery.
  So, it would seem the issue is what happens in an accident, not whether you can avoid dislodging the battery by staying on-road.
 With the combination of a battery containing quite a lot of potential energy, the additional current from the charging system, space being tight on motorcycles, and battery acid, the makings of a bad day would appear to be increased. It could also be a unhappy surprise for the next owner as well if the battery arcs against the frame while out in the boonies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 01:15:09 pm

How often do you remove the battery? Mine's a 2018 with 10,000 K (miles) on it and the battery has been out once.

kuri77

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 05:44:17 pm
True not that often but I think they threw it in for offroad use, dont think it's necessary for street duty only

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 08:13:44 am
May be for knocks and vibration l had a dirt bike once and cracked the battery, yet my motocross bikes had no batteries capacitor ignition so cracked battery cases were not an issue.