Author Topic: Primary drive alert!  (Read 479 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 27, 2021, 01:56:22 pm
This is not the first time I have seen this and this one came to light after all my road testing, so I was lucky not to get into trouble, or worse. The clutch centre nut was loose, too. Owners may wish to check on theirs. I shall also post in the UCE section.
 B.W.

https://youtu.be/pSOS8YPAaLY

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 02:35:48 pm
You dodged a bullet there! Will the primary case stop that bolt falling out?

This was a topic of discussion in the early days of the CGT pages. A few people had their primary bolt and clutch hub nut loose. I remember mine being not loose, but not super tight either, when I replaced my primary chain.

A timely reminder to check those parts.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM

Taurim

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:47:45 pm
It was one of the first checks I did on my 535 when I bought it !

The chain tensioner was also installed in the wrong orientation, it was not centered in the middle of the guide. Some say it will cause wear of the guide and the primary chain in the long run.

Bad :

Good :

I don't know if it is very important... but it is sorted !

Morgan60

• Bulleteer
  • NW USA
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 12:01:03 pm
This is not the first time I have seen this and this one came to light after all my road testing, so I was lucky not to get into trouble, or worse. The clutch centre nut was loose, too. Owners may wish to check on theirs. I shall also post in the UCE section.
 B.W.

https://youtu.be/pSOS8YPAaLY
This is always on the pre-ride inspection list along with tires, lights, oil, turn signal indicators, and fuel.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2019 650 Continental GT Ice Queen or white
2020 Trials 500 Green and Chrome

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 05:21:52 pm
This is always on the pre-ride inspection list along with tires, lights, oil, turn signal indicators, and fuel.
You remove the primary cover as part of a pre ride inspection? A bit drastic, I would think. I would just remove it the once and use some Loctite or similar on the offending bolt [and clutch centre nut, if required] and that should do the trick.
 B.W.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 12:25:26 am
My 14GT has had a primary side "rattle" since new.   REFW said it wasn't problem.  My 02ES had the same noise.  Clutch plates were rattling in clutch basket.  No longer dealer said it wasn't a problem.   New set of plates from Tim at CMW resolved it.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 08:37:45 am
There were no untoward rattling noises on this machine, I only removed the primary cover as the owner wanted a quality primary chain fitted and that is when I found the stray bolt. The machine hadn't quite reached 5,000 recorded miles. It also appears to have electrical gremlins, but that's another story.
 B.W.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • A Simple Twist Of Fate
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 11:46:22 am

How do you possibly do that before every ride? ???
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32/Open short bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades

Olbilford

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 10:32:07 pm
He don’t,is what I’d say! I also had some off kilter clutch issues with my beloved conti…at about 4000 ish miles on the clock,it would make a squeaking sound,as I released the clutch on take off…when I opened her up,not only was the clutch basket loose almost half a turn,the drive end(what would a bloke call that?!) or the bolt Paul found loose in the case was also very loose. Against my better judgement,I did not change my primary chain,but I did tighten and add thread lock…no issues since(fingers crossed). For the flagship “new “ bike they sure half assed a lot on these beautiful machines. I know bw hates the new uce..as is his right…but I bet he could “tune the hell” out of one given the chance…I have been watching him for years…I wish I could get him to work on my machines!