Author Topic: Good article on fork internals  (Read 1522 times)

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
on: July 26, 2021, 11:58:51 am

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 02:43:52 pm

That is a good article. I looked to see if I could find followup articles which answered his opening question, "What is it that we are emulating?"(paraphrased) The short answer is cartridge suspension. A philosophical answer is we are trying to emulate money ;). Money is what these discussions quickly devolve to. But that doesn't really advance our knowledge base. 

I don't know how many suspension strokes per minute we experience on average. But if we had a dash light that blinked every time the forks or shocks changed direction ... it would essentially be constantly on.

Emulators give us an improvement, if you drill the flip'n holes. But what they do not provide is the cartridge chamber which separates the oil from the air. The older crowd will remember that ATF (automatic transmission fluid) was the best fork oil because it didn't "foam". Now, all fork oil is anti-foaming. However, none of it is foam-proof. Further, foam breeds more foam. You can carefully choose your viscosity but what happens to that viscosity when it becomes X% air?

Next up is the distinction between compression damping vs rebound. Think about what happen to the gills on a fish if you tow it backwards through the water. I can not understand why the emulator companies aren't making their units so that one side can be mounted "upside down". It might be as simple as that we have not demanded it.
Anyways, here is another link that if one reads through it twice, you will be the expert in any circle of friends.
https://motofomo.com/motorcycle-forks-faq/  It won't eliminate all arguments but those arguments will be more productive.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:37:11 pm
I think he answered his own question quite well. Do you thinking foaming is a big problem on a bike like the 650? I could see on a long travel motorcross fork where you are working the oil to death it could be, but on the 650 fork??

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 12:18:05 am
I think he answered his own question quite well. Do you thinking foaming is a big problem on a bike like the 650? I could see on a long travel motorcross fork where you are working the oil to death it could be, but on the 650 fork??
I take your point that a long travel motorXer being used in anger creates a greater foaming problem. Still, if you put a video camera aimed at your fork bottom and a suspended part of your bike ... that sucker never stops, even on smooth roads. Do I think it is a big problem? No. I've said from the beginning that the bog stock front end is fine with just a oil replacement.
    However, it is easy to test (with that zip-tie). See if your front end is different from the 20 minute mark against the 120 minute mark. My first issue CBR900RR has conventional forks. They were arguably the best of that era. It starts to change flavor after an hour or so. Right now the rear shock needs a rehab. If I want to play big-dog-has-been, I've got about 45 minutes max before I need to calm down.
     So air-mixed oil is a part of it but only a part. Having a variable shim-stack that's about 14 inches long makes a difference. Having separate rebound and compression matters. Anyway, the article you posted as well as the one I added are very informative and I think that understanding it all is helpful even if one does no changes.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 08:50:26 pm
Robert Taylor is well known as a suspension expert in New Zealand. He rebuilt the Ohlins on my Ducati
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 09:42:21 pm
Robert Taylor is well known as a suspension expert in New Zealand. He rebuilt the Ohlins on my Ducati

Yeah, I liked that article and the way he writes. I've done a couple of searches for more of his stuff but so far failed.
Any help?
(I did find a Robert Taylor, rugby coach and a Roberta Taylor with huge ...)

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 10:09:30 pm
Yeah, I liked that article and the way he writes. I've done a couple of searches for more of his stuff but so far failed.
Any help?
(I did find a Robert Taylor, rugby coach and a Roberta Taylor with huge ...)

Huge struts? This is his business https://www.kss.net.nz/

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 11:53:43 pm
... This is his business https://www.kss.net.nz/
Access DENIED!

That makes it more clear. I figure that you search results are also partially ego-fenced, as well.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 12:22:43 pm
People would work more in the suspension side if that work was not so damn expensive. Shelling out 700 bucks front and rear (and that's the cheap version) is just not in the budget my SO freed up for my bike spendings.
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).