Author Topic: detonation  (Read 1099 times)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 24, 2021, 10:07:06 pm
I've got a bone stock 2018 Himi. Lately I've been getting some light detonation-ping or "pinking" under load at light throttle. I'm running 93 octane fuel, and at this point it's managable but I'd like to eliminate before it gets worse. Opening the throttle when it occurs helps, which makes me suspect I might have a wonky MAP sensor, but from what I've seen in the parts manual it may not be sold seperately from the throttle body. As anyone run into this issue and if so what fixed it?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 01:55:54 am
Maybe throttle position sensor is old/dirty/failing? Possibly some auto supply "mass air flow sensor" spray cleaner might help, hopefully without dissolving the switch...?  "Better living thru chemistry..."
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 02:36:08 am
Maybe throttle position sensor is old/dirty/failing? Possibly some auto supply "mass air flow sensor" spray cleaner might help, hopefully without dissolving the switch...?  "Better living thru chemistry..."

That's a thought. The bike runs really well, other than the ping. I've got a colder than standard plug in it, and I'm going to run some Seafoam through it in the off chance the injector is a little dirty, My suspicion is that the MAP sensor may skewed a little, not enough to throw a code, but just enough to make it run a little lean, especially under a load. The TPS is certainly worth looking into, you've got me wondering if it's adjustment might not be off just enough. I guess if all else fails I can dump a little octane booster into it or maybe follow the herd and spring for a booster plug.

It makes me wish it had a carb on it, I'd just stick a .032 washer or two under the needle and ride on. ;)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 06:51:34 pm
 ;D ;D ;D

PART No. 90058 ; CARBURETTOR CONVERSION KIT (Himalayan) ; £335.00
Carburettor conversion kit for the fuel injected Himalayan models. This kit includes all the components required to convert your Himalayan away from fuel injection to a CV carburettor. This will give similar performance figures to the fuel injection system but the main benefit is simplicity and the ability to fine tune the carburettor yourself to match the engine or any future modifications you make to the bike. All of the components are bolt on items, and it is a completely reversible modification. Supplied jetted to suit the standard Himalayan model. This only fits 2018 - 2021 fuel injection models where the standard ECU is located under the seat.

YOU can the first kid on the block to....It's only money, right?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$   :o 8)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 07:02:05 pm
;D ;D ;D

PART No. 90058 ; CARBURETTOR CONVERSION KIT (Himalayan) ; £335.00
Carburettor conversion kit for the fuel injected Himalayan models. This kit includes all the components required to convert your Himalayan away from fuel injection to a CV carburettor. This will give similar performance figures to the fuel injection system but the main benefit is simplicity and the ability to fine tune the carburettor yourself to match the engine or any future modifications you make to the bike. All of the components are bolt on items, and it is a completely reversible modification. Supplied jetted to suit the standard Himalayan model. This only fits 2018 - 2021 fuel injection models where the standard ECU is located under the seat.

YOU can the first kid on the block to....It's only money, right?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$   :o 8)

It's only money is right and since it's cheaper than a new throttle body and the only way to get a new MAP sensor is to buy a throttle body it's something worth considering. That being said the temps here dropped by 20 degrees today and the detonation went with it. I could barely get a ping out of it on a long uphill, in 5th gear, at 2500 rpm. So I may hang a booster plug on it to deal with the warm weather riding or not... ;)