Author Topic: Help With My First Parts Order  (Read 1801 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 16, 2021, 05:05:58 am
I getting ready to put in an order to Hitchcock's and I'm wondering how it is normally handled? Do any of you make a phone call, or do you just place the order on your online account with them? I do have questions and also am wondering what shipping options there are, I don't need anything overnight or there about so a bit less for shipping would be nice. What about tracking and insurance?  Seems like there should be both but what's the drill on that? Any tips and pointers would help, I've never bought anything outside the US before.

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 05:36:58 am
I'm in Australia and have only placed a couple of small orders with them.  I gave them a call and they sorted everything I needed over the phone.  They will give you all the options you need, I found them very helpful.

As a bit of a side note, the second order I placed got lost in the mail for about a month (not their fault and the previous order took 7 days to reach me in rural Australia), I had not insured it as it was only a few minor things.
I phoned them and they re sent the order free of charge - which they are certainly not obliged to do. 
About a week later both orders turned up on the same day, so I marked one of them return to sender with my thanks.
Excellent service.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 12:00:49 pm
I getting ready to put in an order to Hitchcock's and I'm wondering how it is normally handled? Do any of you make a phone call, or do you just place the order on your online account with them? I do have questions and also am wondering what shipping options there are, I don't need anything overnight or there about so a bit less for shipping would be nice. What about tracking and insurance?  Seems like there should be both but what's the drill on that? Any tips and pointers would help, I've never bought anything outside the US before.

I've ordered quite few things from Hitchcocks. Everything has been delivered to RI in a very reasonable time. Never a problem.

They have answered the few emails (at least 3) I've sent over the years to ask questions the very next day. And the answers are usually to the actual question I'm asking which is unusual nowadays.

The shipping is a killer, but for some things it's worth it. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 05:03:00 pm
Not to worry. I've had great service due to Hitchcock's caring and prompt service, but also the Royal Mail's efficiency. H usually delivers in a week to San Diego. BTW, Indian suppliers also ship by via Royal Mail once they (eventually) arrive in the UK. A dozen orders including a gas tank from India were trouble-free.

Lurker on a Vespa

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 06:21:46 pm
You could always check with Tim at Western Cycle Supply in Ft Worth. He also has connections with Hitchcocks.   Shipping from India is the luck of the draw.    Only thing I ordered from India had free FedEx and arrived in less then a week.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 06:36:14 pm
H's is great.  The last order got here via DHL to the land O' Fruits, Nuts & Flakes in about 3 days from jolly old England.
Go to their website, create a membership, get a customer ID#. This gets your name & address into their database, a time-saver.

What I do when ordering:
Just go on their website, research/peruse the parts you think you'll need. Copy the part numbers down, or "copy 'n paste" into a text doc.
When you're ready to actually purchase, log on to the H's site. In the "Search" bar at the top of the screen, type in your part number, press the "GO" button adjacent. The part comes up.
Select "More Details". Set quantity & select "Add to Basket".
Type the next part number into the "Search" bar, repeat as necessary, or until the missus twigs to what you're about.
When done spending like a drunken sailor in Hong Kong, select "Checkout" at the top of the screen.
You can use a credit card to check out, they have a secure site. Follow the prompts. DHL as shipping has worked excellently for me, usually just a few dollars more than Royal Mail & much faster. They offer up a PDF of your order when done. "Save As" to a "Hitchcocks Purchases" folder for future reference.
After your order is complete, go out to the garage, look at your bike & suddenly remember else what you forgot to order... :o ;D
On small bits, like washers, o-rings, gaskets, Whitworth fasteners, etc., I usually get a few extra, as shipping is prohibitive for a single cheap item and a hinky thread on the last Whitworth stud can set your program back a couple weeks.

Remember - "You can't be out of money if you still have cheques left..."  :o

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 08:37:12 pm
As you've likely gathered by now, both our Forum hosts Hitchcocks in England and longtime North American "Parts Guru" Tim, once the go-to guy at Classic Motorworks, the former sole official Enfield importer for North America and currently running his own shop over at Western Cycle Supply (https://westerncyclesupply.com), should be considered your "Gold Standard" where parts quality, delivery and support are concerned. Emails are answered promptly and intelligibly, and neither is gonna send you anything of really dreadful quality, as parts are "curated", if you will.

That said, some of the India-based vendors on eBay can be stunningly "economical", if a bit slow, a situation which has not been at all improved by the Covids. And it's more of a crap shoot quality-wise. But pre-Covid I'd had good experiences with the vendor "Enfield County", from whom I'd bought the odd non-critical knick-knack like a sidestand assembly for only like $14 delivered and a wacky brass sword and scabbard ignition key, which I expect probably won't be found on the shelves at Hitchcocks in Solihull--or that scimitar-shaped true "Pedestrian Slicer" for the front mudguard or a host of other outlandish or bizarre brass knicknacks. Just search eBay for "Royal Enfield Brass" for a looksee.

In short, one of the most compelling reasons to own an Enfield is the broad availability and low cost of spares.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 09:20:08 pm
In short, one of the most compelling reasons to own an Enfield is the broad availability and low cost of spares.

That really come across as a no-brainer for me in back in 2005. Farewell BSA...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 11:03:35 pm
Hitchcocks is great I just order online ,as ACR says have an account created and they have your shipping details to save time, Royal mail or DHL both take about 8 days to New Zealand, cost of shipping is up there but the parts are cheap so it balances out ok

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 02:41:52 am
Thanks guys, all that information is helpful! When I'm on H's site I'm like a kid in a candy store, there's so many great parts and accessories. I'll have to pace myself on my orders and go with priority items and then upgrade as my finances allow.

Bilgemaster, I have already stumbled onto Western Cycle Supply on the web when I was looking for oil filters. Tim was great to work with and had my filters to me in no time at all. I then came to realize his background when it comes to Royal Enfield and so I plan on doing more business with him as well.

A little off topic but a big day for me today. I got my title and my license plate this morning and this afternoon finished up all my maintenance and repairs. Tomorrow with a little luck I'll be taking the Enfield out for a shake down cruise. I'm hoping it all goes well!

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 01:45:43 pm
H's used to select shipping for you but now it's an option.
DHL kicks ass! I've received orders here in the eastern USA in as little as 2 days and never more than 4. The price difference is usually small (maybe $5). The one time an order went Royal Mail it took over two weeks to get to me, the fault being on my side of the pond. USPS is horrible right now.

I've never called by phone. I just order via the web site. On the rare occasion I've had questions they have answered within 48 hours but usually within a day.

Being able to order virtually any part for any RE since the 1950s--and at prices that are refreshingly reasonable--keeps me using them and not even bothering with alternatives. Plus H's strives to keep the quality up vs the crap shoot that is ordering from India.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 04:58:27 pm
When I'm on H's site I'm like a kid in a candy store, there's so many great parts and accessories.

Beware catalog-itis!

If I could just find another frame with a title I could build a...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 08:58:04 pm
[...Snip!]

A little off topic but a big day for me today. I got my title and my license plate this morning and this afternoon finished up all my maintenance and repairs. Tomorrow with a little luck I'll be taking the Enfield out for a shake down cruise. I'm hoping it all goes well!

Good luck tomorrow! If that bike's been resurrected or rousted from a longish slumber, don't be dismayed by a little rough running or general "creakiness" as it blows out the cobwebs. A couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel as a cleaner and top end lube would help ease out the cruds and make it run a bit cooler. I see from your profile that you're in New Mexico, one of my favorite states. So, it must be pretty toasty there right now. A couple of ounces in the oil and also in the primary case couldn't hurt with flushing out the guts either.

Back in the '90s I took a longish tour in a big '60 Plymouth Savoy, essentially a big lumbering living room with shark fins, of the various "Ghost Town Trails" (https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-visit/ghost-towns/) and my favorite camping anywhere by far was found at that Elephant Butte State Park alongside its lovely lake. Compared to those dour wasteland campsites in Texas parks, where I'd been living, which more or less resembled those camps Henry Fonda stayed at in The Grapes of Wrath  but with demented buzzards loping around everywhere, Elephant Butte was paradise. And don't mind the tarantulas at all. They just like sitting by a nice campfire too, will keep a respectful distance, won't bother you, and their general presence means any more bothersome scorpions will make themselves quite scarce.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:06:28 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 01:35:32 pm
Back in the '90s I took a longish tour in a big '60 Plymouth Savoy, essentially a big lumbering living room with shark fins, of the various "Ghost Town Trails" (https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-visit/ghost-towns/) and my favorite camping anywhere by far was found at that Elephant Butte State Park alongside its lovely lake. Compared to those dour wasteland campsites in Texas parks, where I'd been living, which more or less resembled those camps Henry Fonda stayed at in The Grapes of Wrath  but with demented buzzards loping around everywhere, Elephant Butte was paradise. And don't mind the tarantulas at all. They just like sitting by a nice campfire too, will keep a respectful distance, won't bother you, and their general presence means any more bothersome scorpions will make themselves quite scarce.

Enjoy!

I've lived in NM for 28 years now and really love it here, the diversity of the terrain, people, and cultures makes it interesting. It's not for everybody but the place does kind of grow on you. I spend time down south and really like Elephant Butte Lake. I live in the northern part of the state high up in the mountains, my house is at 8,000' and nearby Wheeler peak is 13,200 feet high, we get cooler summers and snowy winters. There is lots of good motorcycle riding here. I've been to the ghosts towns you mentioned  as I am a history buff and also explore the ancient Anasazi cliff dwellings and pueblo ruins throughout the region.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 06:32:51 pm
Careful using the term "Anasazi" if you run into any Hopi in your travels down there, said to be the descendants of that people whom they prefer to refer to as "Ancient Puebloans". Apparently "Anasazi" comes from the Navaho language of the Hopis' ancient foes, in which it means "enemies". They might thank you for referring to them as "Anasazi" about as much as a Scotsman might for calling him an "English bastard".

As far as Ancient Americans or "The First People in America" goes, there's been quite a lot of discussion over the last decade or so concerning several recent Pre-Clovis finds, the distinctive Clovis technology said to be a hallmark of the culture predating even the "Ancient Puebloans" and formerly posited as having been the first folks here. There's a fairly informative explanation of the background and findings found at https://youtu.be/7nUZTRXVrac. It's a bit longish, but not without plenty of drama concerning the cut-throat professional rivalries of competing archaeologists. It's personal now, bitch! Like Colonel Mustard in the Library with the candlestick murderous. But the presentation doesn't give off that flakey "Aliens made our sandwiches" History Channel vibe.

And here's a little 2-parter background on those Clovis folks, named for that town in New Mexico near which they first stumbled onto their trash back in the '20s and how they fit in with those "Ancient Puebloans": https://www.google.com/amp/s/johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/anasazi-america-part-1/amp/

Enjoy, Kemo Sabe!

This season's cool riding attire for artifact hunting in the Chihuahuan Desert

P.S. if you're working high elevations, as you describe, you might want to look into getting your hands on a gizmo found on some home market Indian Bullets: a special intake manifold with a sort of adjustable extra air intake screw to allow for a leaner mixture when you're really getting up there into Wheezyville. Maybe our Forum hosts could square you away with one? Maybe via an Indian vendor off eBay? I believe it's referred to as an "Auxiliary Air Screw". It's probably not something you'd ever even want down here at sea level, since a too lean mixture could be very harmful and lead to overheating, but if you've left even the mountain goats behind, it might help you get over that next rise.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:22:35 pm by Bilgemaster »