Author Topic: What happened to Royal Enfield owners/riders?  (Read 15336 times)

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #120 on: July 21, 2021, 06:26:18 am
Okay chaps, this question is nothing much to do with the thread, but here is your starter for 10: Why does it say 'Scooter' under my forum name and the little picture I uploaded?

I didn't write that and I certainly don't have a Lambretta (I'd put scooters in the same class as camper vans - only good for crushing).

Alan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:28:52 am by Othen »

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #121 on: July 21, 2021, 07:27:09 am
Or were they? 

According to media reports, RE continues to book sales of significant numbers of 500 UCE machines to EXPORT markets only.  438 units of Classic 500 and Bullet 500 in May 2021, which is the last month I've seen reported.  https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-sales-exports-breakup-may-2021-12404492.html

They discontinued the model in India, yes, and perhaps in European markets, but they seem to be selling a lot more of these bikes than could be accounted for with the "Tribute Limited Editions".  Are these all closeout production leftovers from over a year ago?   RE's big announcement was in February of 2020.

I'd be interested to know what's going on, 1) how they market and sell these machines, which do not appear on the corporate websites, 2)  what models and colors are actually being sold in 2021, and 3) what the stickers on them list as build date.

If anyone has bought a 500 UCE in the last year, please share.

I bought a new Classic 500 in Redditch Red from my local dealer at the start of this month. It was on the floor beside a Bullet 500 and a couple of the Tribute bikes.

The chassis year is M (I assume they skipped I in build years, can anyone confirm this? ) and chassis month is B, so it was built in either Feb '20 or Feb'21.

I live in New Zealand; unsure what the supply situation is like in other export markets.

And like Othen, I'm a Scooter too. I assume this is linked to the number of posts on this website?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:30:30 am by Relic »
2021 Classic 500

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #122 on: July 21, 2021, 10:36:11 am

And like Othen, I'm a Scooter too. I assume this is linked to the number of posts on this website?

Ah ha! So other people are Scooters as well, I should have checked that. I'd rather assumed it was some box or another I'd ticked (or not ticked) when I set up this account :-)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:47:32 am by Othen »

JohnnieK

• Scooter
Reply #123 on: July 21, 2021, 12:53:38 pm
[quote author=axman88
According to media reports, RE continues to book sales of significant numbers of 500 UCE machines to EXPORT markets only.  438 units of Classic 500 and Bullet 500 in May 2021, which is the last month I've seen reported.  https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-sales-exports-breakup-may-2021-12404492.html

[/quote]

Here is the June report.

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-sales-exports-breakup-june-2021-classic-650-12407219.html

Still sold a few.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:56:18 pm by JohnnieK »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: July 21, 2021, 02:07:49 pm
Well, the 500 Bullets are not exactly flying out of the factory door. It is amazing that RE is willing to make 3 of those models a month. That seems like an odd decision for such a large factory.  ??? What is also amazing is that RE can continue to spit so many motorcycles out of their factory considering the Covid-19 situation in India this year.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #125 on: July 21, 2021, 05:51:10 pm
I bought a new Classic 500 in Redditch Red from my local dealer at the start of this month. It was on the floor beside a Bullet 500 and a couple of the Tribute bikes.

The chassis year is M (I assume they skipped I in build years, can anyone confirm this? ) and chassis month is B, so it was built in either Feb '20 or Feb'21.

I live in New Zealand; unsure what the supply situation is like in other export markets.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  My 2012 C5 arrived with a sticker on the down tube that explicitly stated month and year of manufacture, something like "Jan 2012", not encoded.  Perhaps they no longer do this?

I see that the Australian RE corporate website shows the 500 UCE Classic and Bullet as being current models, which isn't true of North American or Indian sites.    https://www.royalenfield.com/au/en/motorcycles/classic-models/classic-500/
https://www.royalenfield.com/au/en/motorcycles/
So many choices for our brothers down under!  What's a Rumbler?

North America is only offered a choice of 4 models, Meteor, Interceptor, Conti GT 650, Himalayan:
https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/motorcycles/

One more than they get in Argentina:
https://www.royalenfield.com/ar/es/motorcycles/

While France gets 7 different choices, including 500 UCEs:
https://www.royalenfield.com/fr/fr/motorcycles/

Emissions laws are complex anywhere, certainly so in Europe, where Low Emissions Zones are emerging, but I was under the impression that any newly sold motorcycles had to meet Euro 5 standards for at least the past year.  The fact that the 500 UCEs are available for sale in France, would seem to suggest that this model is capable of meeting that standard.  RE's story about why they were dropping the 500 UCE would seem to be just that, a story.

On the other hand, USA emissions standards haven't been updated in years.  Aren't current standards are equivalent to Euro 4 or less?  Harley can produce 1868 cc air cooled twins that meet the emissions standards for the US, but RE's 500 won't?

I call shenanigans!

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #126 on: July 21, 2021, 09:54:37 pm
What's a Rumbler?

A Rumbler is a Thunderbird in the home market of India. The Thunderbird name is used by Triumph, so a change was necessary to avoid trademark infringement when selling these bikes overseas.

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #127 on: July 21, 2021, 10:12:20 pm
Trademe is the home-grown auction and online trading web site used many New Zealanders and you can see Royal Enfield bikes for sale in the link below.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/search?bof=EaguK4OK&make=royal%20enfield&auto_category_jump=false

Prices are in NZ dollars and at the time of this post, there is a Rumbler for sale.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: July 21, 2021, 10:25:55 pm

On the other hand, USA emissions standards haven't been updated in years.  Aren't current standards are equivalent to Euro 4 or less?  Harley can produce 1868 cc air cooled twins that meet the emissions standards for the US, but RE's 500 won't?

I call shenanigans!

I read a review of the H-D Sportster S recently which said that the current air-cooled Sportster could not be sold in the EU, but was still available for purchase in the U.S and for a lot less money than the new "S". So it would appear that U.S. emission standards are lower than Euro 5.

But oddly, it also appears that our sound regulations are more restrictive than they are in the EU as the new BMW motorcycle models that are sold in the EU make more peak power than do the ones sold in NA. That difference in power output is said to be because the bikes sold here have more stringent noise requirements than they do in Europe. Stuff like this must make vehicle manufacturers crazy.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #129 on: July 22, 2021, 04:20:52 am
I read a review of the H-D Sportster S recently which said that the current air-cooled Sportster could not be sold in the EU, but was still available for purchase in the U.S and for a lot less money than the new "S". So it would appear that U.S. emission standards are lower than Euro 5.

I recall hearing the news that Harley would withdraw the Sportster from the European market.  This was "leaked" by the French importer, and was not an official announcement.  This was almost immediately after HD announced they would close their factory in Bawal, where coincidentally all Sportsters and Street 500 and 750 were being built for Asia and Europe.  There was some talk about "difficult to meet emissions standards".  It's a popular refrain, when tough corporate decisions are being made that might upset loyal customers.   Blame the government, nobody will question it.  Poor HD, Poor Royal Enfield.  Darn red tape regulators, taking away our beloved toys!

HD's smallest, and water cooled Streets were also withdrawn at the same time.  I guess those modest, technically advanced machines couldn't be made to meet current Euro emissions standards either?

But look at the Harley line that apparently CAN be brought into compliance:  https://harley-davidson-paris-rive-gauche.fr/showroom     

FatBoys, FatBobs, Glides, Road Kings, Trikes, these are the BIGGEST and most expensive HD machines with big, air cooled, made in the USA, engines.

I call Shenanigans on HD too!

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #130 on: July 22, 2021, 07:08:30 am
I applaud Royal Enfield for what they are trying to do, producing affordable motorcycles for people who need them for basic transportation rather than weekend toys for playboys and wannabe racers. The whole world, including RE, has been swept along on a tide of anti-emission regulations and are having to cope the best way they can. Unfortunately this has resulted in the loss of the Bullet/Classic 500, but, unlike some other mainstream motorcycle manufacturers, RE seem to have got their priorities in the right order and still making sensible machines at sensible prices.

I think this was a good point. RE is carving out a market niche for affordable bikes - although many of its products will still be weekend toys rather than basic transportation, such is the mature of motorcycling in the 22nd century.

Like many correspondents here, I like the simplicity of RE bikes, although I also enjoy modern brakes, proper lights and engines that don't leak oil :-)

Alan

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #131 on: July 22, 2021, 07:57:34 am
but I was under the impression that any newly sold motorcycles had to meet Euro 5 standards for at least the past year.

Come new Euro-Bollocks time, there's always a grace period where dealers can punt on residual stock. Don't know when this one ends or if it's still running (and the French have a penchant for doing what they like anyway) but there is no Euro 5 UCE.

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #132 on: July 22, 2021, 09:27:54 am
Interesting, thanks for sharing.  My 2012 C5 arrived with a sticker on the down tube that explicitly stated month and year of manufacture, something like "Jan 2012", not encoded.  Perhaps they no longer do this?

I had a look under the tank and sure enough a factory QC sticker dated 19 Feb 2021.
2021 Classic 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: July 22, 2021, 02:06:44 pm

I had a look under the tank and sure enough a factory QC sticker dated 19 Feb 2021.

Is this another "Last Edition" model like the 1983 (?) BMW airhead boxer bikes?  ::)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #134 on: July 22, 2021, 04:29:18 pm
Come new Euro-Bollocks time, there's always a grace period where dealers can punt on residual stock. Don't know when this one ends or if it's still running (and the French have a penchant for doing what they like anyway) but there is no Euro 5 UCE.
Yes, I see that you are correct.  This article discusses the situation in some depth.  https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2020/april/bike-industry-pushing-delay-euro5

A lot of exclusions in the fine print, a long list of non-compliant machines for sale, and the moto industry pushing to delay the onset of Euro 5, which it appears was supposed to be at the end of 2020.

I think you are quite right, those 500 UCE machines are Euro 4 / BS 4.

So all is just as was published back on Jan 31, 2020, 
   "Royal Enfield today announced that it will discontinue the retail sales of Bullet 500, Classic 500 and Thunderbird 500 in India from March 31, 2020. However, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, Royal Enfield Classic 500 and Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 will continue to be sold across all the international markets.   ....  service facilities and spare parts for these motorcycles will remain available for the current owners across all the Royal Enfield dealerships in the country."

How the decision to withdraw the model from RE's domestic offerings, came to be equated with an inability to bring it into compliance with emissions standards is another story, one, in my view, quite similar to the way the Sportster story evolved.  The 500s made a poor showing as a percentage of exports after the 650s were introduced, and sold even worse in India.

The irony is, despite a general belief that the model is dead, UCE 500s seem to be maintaining an EXPORT sales level consistent with what they had before it was announced they would be discontinued in India. 

When the Classic 350 with the OHC "J" engine comes onto the market, things may change.