Author Topic: Tyres for off road in muddy conditions  (Read 2177 times)

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
on: June 22, 2021, 09:15:53 pm
What tyres are people using for off road riding. the stock CEAT rubber is fine on road but gives no side grip in muddy conditions.
Sod it, lets ride!

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 08:16:46 am
Mitas E07
50/50 tyres that work well on all surfaces.
There are others though, it's not hard to find something and I don't think it's critical. Availability is more important that actual tyre (Covid has made it difficult)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 12:41:54 pm
I use TKC 70, not great in mud it has to be said
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:12:15 pm by excollier »
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 09:28:41 pm
The biggest problem (apart from almost universal shortages) is the odd choice of rim size. Most genuinely capable off road tyres are not made in the 12/90-17 format. An 18 inch rim would have opened up a whole world of far better rubber.
Sod it, lets ride!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 03:33:58 am
The biggest problem (apart from almost universal shortages) is the odd choice of rim size. Most genuinely capable off road tyres are not made in the 12/90-17 format. An 18 inch rim would have opened up a whole world of far better rubber.
What do you mean? There's plenty of off-road rubber available in 17". Even more if you include imperial sizes.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 01:06:03 pm
I've been riding off-road for over 50 years, and outside of the dedicated mud tires, which don't work very well when things dry up. I have yet to find any tire that works well in mud. ;)

New England tends to be pretty bony so FWIW I run Metzler Tourance's on my Himalayan and hard pack knobbies on my DR400EZ, though I'll sometimes run a rear Trials tire if I'm going somewhere really rocky.

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 05:01:02 pm
What do you mean? There's plenty of off-road rubber available in 17". Even more if you include imperial sizes.

Ha ha...depends where you live, I could only get a pair of TKC 70s for mine, nothing else was easily available here in Ireland
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 08:11:20 pm
I think I will give pirelli MT21 a go. Its the most aggressive road legal tyre I can find in the 120/90-17 size that is actually available in stock in the UK. I need to do something because the bike spat me off again today with a total loss of traction on a muddy section. Sadly I cant find its partner for the front but there are plenty of other options available in the front size so something suitable will be available.
Sod it, lets ride!

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 10:24:22 pm
I think I will give pirelli MT21 a go. Its the most aggressive road legal tyre I can find in the 120/90-17 size that is actually available in stock in the UK. I need to do something because the bike spat me off again today with a total loss of traction on a muddy section. Sadly I cant find its partner for the front but there are plenty of other options available in the front size so something suitable will be available.

The front seems to be available in the US, it's popular for the DR650. If need be I can send you a link, though I don't know how practical it'd be to order from a US company.

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 06:31:40 am
Unfortunately, ordering form the USA basically doubles the price. There are loads of option s for the 21 inch front though. Its the 17 inch rear that is unusual in off road fitments. The TKC80 is available front and rear but Im just not sure that it is agressive enough for the slippery mud I am encountering.(Undoubtedly far better than the CEAT though)
Sod it, lets ride!

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 12:48:43 pm
Unfortunately, ordering form the USA basically doubles the price. There are loads of option s for the 21 inch front though. Its the 17 inch rear that is unusual in off road fitments. The TKC80 is available front and rear but Im just not sure that it is agressive enough for the slippery mud I am encountering.(Undoubtedly far better than the CEAT though)

A few of the guys in our ADV club like the TKC80's and go well on them, but as I mentioned here in New England we're more concerned with rocks and roots than mud. Some of the Himalayan riders have considered lacing up an 18" rear but as yet no one has done one in our club.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 10:00:37 am
What tyres are people using for off road riding. the stock CEAT rubber is fine on road but gives no side grip in muddy conditions.

Have you seen this blokes YouTube videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUwTMzZU6F8
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 01:59:33 pm
Have you seen this blokes YouTube videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUwTMzZU6F8

He seems to have come to the same conclusions as me. TKC80 should do the job. The MT21 is far more agressive with about a 90/10 off road bias and cheaper than the TKC80 so I still think I'll go with that although the TKC80 will be my back up option.
Sod it, lets ride!

Robc

• Neophyte
  • 2018 Himalayan
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 09:41:13 pm
Greetings all. First post from a 2018 Himalayan owner, had it since new and love it, though it’s not my only bike (also have a KTM 1290).

I do a lot of trail and off-road riding on mine and was also looking for aggressive tyres. I ended up going with a Mitas E-09 Dakar on the rear and an MT21 on the front. Works great as a combination. Really deep mud will be a problem but it will for any tyre, obviously. Normal mud is ok. Also this is a good combination for gravel and rocky tracks, both tyres are aggressive enough and very tough. On road they are fine too, but the MT21 is pretty loud so earplugs are handy!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:43:29 pm by Robc »

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 02:03:01 pm
Greetings all. First post from a 2018 Himalayan owner, had it since new and love it, though it’s not my only bike (also have a KTM 1290).

I do a lot of trail and off-road riding on mine and was also looking for aggressive tyres. I ended up going with a Mitas E-09 Dakar on the rear and an MT21 on the front. Works great as a combination. Really deep mud will be a problem but it will for any tyre, obviously. Normal mud is ok. Also this is a good combination for gravel and rocky tracks, both tyres are aggressive enough and very tough. On road they are fine too, but the MT21 is pretty loud so earplugs are handy!

That seems a good combination. My main choices here for a matched set are: Conti TKC80, Pirelli MT21 or Metzeler Sahara 3. I may be able to source the Mitas E-09 - I will have to have a dig around.
Sod it, lets ride!