Author Topic: Fuel gauge  (Read 1670 times)

hawkeyefxr

• Scooter
on: June 05, 2021, 03:50:41 pm
My fuel gauge display keeps running up to show full then down to zero, and it's like this all the time???

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 04:57:30 pm
Fuel gauge? You have a fuel gauge?  Seriously though, from the symptoms you describe I'd suspect a poor electrical connection rather than a sticky float or something awry with the sending unit itself, which might typically display fuel level changes more "gradually" or with no changes at all of it were wonky.

Why not try cleaning up the connections within in the snap connector blocks from the sending unit with a bit of WD-40 for good measure, also closely examining for frayed, cracked or broken wiring. If that doesn't sort it out, do the same for the instrument display connections, and all may be well...Not that those fuel level indicators were ever regarded as superb and infallible to begin with.

Just for ready reference, here's the fuel sender assembly for the 2014 Conti (PART No. 585465) from our Forum host's online Parts Catalog: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/31124?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F4318 (about 35 Quid in the UK with tax, elsewhere 40-something U.S Bucks, or roughly 800,000 Vietnamese Đồng)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 05:10:11 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:22:03 pm
For a start, unplug the sensor connector and clean the contacts. See if that fixes it.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 01:57:07 am
I've never had a Royal Enfield fuel level sensor out of the tank, but I did have an old car that exhibited very inaccurate readings on it's fuel gauge.  I took the sender out of the tank and found that it was all gummed up with old nasty gas.  I used carb cleaner on the wiper surface and it worked fine again.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:25 pm
The RE fuel level gauge was very easy to remove from my 2011 Bullet. No instructions needed. Just make sure to run the fuel level down and after removing the tank from the chassis, tilt it on its side before removing the device. When I did that to my non-functioning gauge there was nothing to clean but bare wires. The entire plastic gauge had been completely dissolved by our E10 fuel and apparently burned in the engine.  :o  The replacement gauge was cheap and easy to install. It has been working fine since I replaced it about 4 or 5 years ago.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 03:28:20 pm
The RE fuel level gauge was very easy to remove from my 2011 Bullet. No instructions needed. Just make sure to run the fuel level down and after removing the tank from the chassis, tilt it on its side before removing the device. When I did that to my non-functioning gauge there was nothing to clean but bare wires. The entire plastic gauge had been completely dissolved by our E10 fuel and apparently burned in the engine.  :o  The replacement gauge was cheap and easy to install. It has been working fine since I replaced it about 4 or 5 years ago.  :)

Yes, that's about it! There's a large o ring that seals the whole gauge in there. It's probably ok, but now would be a good time to replace it if need be.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 11:35:45 pm
For a start, unplug the sensor connector and clean the contacts. See if that fixes it.
Yep. It does that if the joiner on the single black wire (sender wire) under the tank comes unclipped.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 05:04:02 am
Another forum member had issues with his fuel gauge, turned out to be a loose connection.  Located on RHS of bike under the fuel tank, green in colour..have a look you may be able to see it without moving anything.  Anyway, it  was loose, pushed together and all good.  The thread is in here somewhere. 
As a side note, even working correctly I find the gauge to less than accurate.  Using the trip meter is a safer bet. And thats not  just on Enfields. Let us know how you go

VandaRoali

• VandaRoaliNX
  • Neophyte
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 06:04:21 pm
https://expert.ru/2021/06/2/osobennosti-vybora-sluzhby-dezinfektsii/
Наш центр дезинфекции за время работы на рынке смог зарекомендовать себя в качестве надежного партнера для представителей организаций и частных лиц. Команда профессионалов ответственно подходит к решению всех поставленных задач!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:38 pm
translates to: Our disinfection center during its work on the market has been able to establish itself as a reliable partner for representatives of organizations and individuals. A team of professionals takes a responsible approach to solving all the tasks!

C- for no effort...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.