Author Topic: New Boyer ignition inion for my bike  (Read 969 times)

Matt1995

• Scooter
on: May 16, 2021, 08:17:31 pm
Need some help with. just got a new boyer electronic ignition kit. I had an issue with my old one. I wanted to swap out the old magnetic rotor with the new one but I didn't know how to get it off. the new one looked identical so I left it in there. I got the engine to tdc. when I went to put the stator plate on (and set it to the left side of the lower adjustment slot like in the directions) I noticed that the coil pins did not line up with the magnets. so I am stuck there and cannot proceed to the next step until I figure out why its like that. my questions, should I take the magnetic rotor off? if so how? or am I just missing something?
thanks,
-Matt

on a 2001 bullet 500

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:27 pm
Remove the stator plate.

Remove the allen screw holding the magnetic rotor if you haven't already done so.

A gentle-ish tap with hammer and drift somewhere near the edge of the rotor away from the magnets ought to dislodge the rotor from the taper bore of the distributor shaft. The Boyer rotor I had an an old BSA had quite a roughly turned taper instead of the smooth ground finish of the auto-advance unit, so it shouldn't be too tight in there unless some weapons-grade loctite has been applied.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Matt1995

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:29:52 pm
thanks Adrian. I will give it a shot and see how it goes