Author Topic: Royal Enfield Ensign Restoration  (Read 1549 times)

cobraclassics

• Scooter
  • Cobra Classics
on: February 02, 2021, 02:15:09 pm
Hi All,

We are currently restoring a 1953 Royal Enfield Ensign with a later 56 engine and I'm missing a couple of parts and wondering if anyone has spares.
They are:
36686 - Clutch WORM/DRUM ASSEMBLY
37405 - CONTACT BREAKER BASE PLATE plus points and condenser

I know the above parts where also used on the RE2 and Prince models.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Trevor

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 07:52:06 am
Have you tried Hitchcock's?

Frank

cobraclassics

• Scooter
  • Cobra Classics
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 08:55:44 am
Hi Frank

Yes tried Hitchcocks but no luck.

Trevor

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 04:00:18 pm
Hi All,

We are currently restoring a 1953 Royal Enfield Ensign with a later 56 engine and I'm missing a couple of parts and wondering if anyone has spares.
They are:
36686 - Clutch WORM/DRUM ASSEMBLY
37405 - CONTACT BREAKER BASE PLATE plus points and condenser

I know the above parts where also used on the RE2 and Prince models.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Trevor

Since the Ensign and Ensign II (1956 on) used the Villiers 150 engine(s), I wonder if you may have tried expanding your parts searches beyond just the "Royal Enfield" usual suspects  to "Villiers" more broadly, as lots of other marques including  AJS, AJW, Ambassador, BAC, Bond, Bown, Butler, Commander, Corgi, Cotton, Cyc-Auto, DMW, Dot, Excelsior, Francis-Barnett, Greeves, HJH, James, Mercury, New Hudson, Norman, OEC, Panther, Radco, Rainbow, Scorpion, Sprite, Sun, Tandon, and many others, used those 2-stroke mills? It seems that as of '56 they'd built about 2 million.

As a Bullet rider I don't really know much about your breed, but, for example, there appears to be a whole seized Villiers 150 engine with carb and everything to be had for £199 on eBay UK at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Villiers-engine-parts/233868885865. Although this eBay offering seems more to resemble the earlier Ensign's more rounded engine than the later Ensign II's post-'56 one, with its more "squared off" cylinder and head, when I consult Hitchcocks' Online Parts Books for both the '53 or '56 Ensign, at least that Clutch Worm/Drum Assembly (Part 36866) appears to be identical across the years.

So, is 200 quid a bit too much for an old seized 150 engine to be cannibalized? I mean, I've seen Norton Atlas crankcase drain plugs asking near half that here in the States. So, will its bits even work in your Enfield? Could other more general Villiers engine parts suppliers perhaps help? Sorry to pose more questions than answers...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:10:13 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 02:40:50 pm
This can be the issue with rebuilding classic bikes now getting the parts, some are impossilbe to get made and near impossible to obtain, you need watch ebay for a long time you might get lucky.

Rusty Nuts

• Rusty Nuts
  • Neophyte
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:27:42 am
Hi all, new to this forum and I am also restoring a "basket case" Ensign, 1953 motor in a later 1956 frame. I'm wondering if Cobra Classic had any luck in finding the points base plate yet? I am also looking for this bit ( and other stuff)
If you have found a mystical supply, I would love to hear about it!
Good luck in your search.
Rusty
Only a bike rider understands why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.