Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1840255 times)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7995 on: December 31, 2020, 02:34:43 pm
Worth a look - how many do you remember????

http://a.msn.com/08/en-au/BB1ciJwh?ocid=se
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #7996 on: January 03, 2021, 04:50:15 am
I replaced all the lock barrels on the Classic 500 today because the previous owners somewhere along the lines not only replaced one or two of the locks, requiring 3 different keys, but the little cover over the petrol cap lock was broken off too. So I just wanted to make it all nice and new again.

Let me just say that despite the part number being the exact one for my model 2010 C500 (trust me, we spent hours at the RE dealer looking at different Microfiche (PDF's) until we found what resembled my bike.

• The replacement OEM petrol cap fit perfectly, but it is nowhere near the quality of the OEM one that came with the bike from the factory.
  • The steering lock fit perfectly. No issues.
  • The ignition barrel was hilarious. Firstly while it physically fit, despite being a larger unit, fit into the nacelle fine. But the plug with the 4 wires was entirely different. I soldered the wires off the old ignition on to the new one. Worked fine. Replacement barrel comes with a black nut, the original was stainless.
  • The battery, electronics, airbox and toolbox locks were all a joke. They all physically fit into position apart from the toolbox lock. More on that in point 5.The tab that turns with the barrel were all concave shaped, not flat like the original ones. This meant I had to bend the tab sticking out of the compartments a little, and bend the tab that turns on the lock barrels a little, rather than just bending one tab too much. The fit is super tight but I made it work. Phew!
  • Lastly, the toolbox compartment lock. The one that came with the new lock kit was 180 degrees out. So instead of the tab that swivels with the barrel turning up and latching on to the cover, it swivelled down. The tab can be removed, but it is keyed on the shaft, and there is no way to fix this. The old tab won't work as it isn't the tab that's the issue. The entire barrel is 180 degrees out. Pulling it apart to "fix" it will cause irreparable damage. The solution, turn the entire lock barrel 180 degrees and file a small groove where the barrel locates itself... you could say it "keys" into the hole in the toolkit case.

Buying OEM, you would imagine would not post half the issues I had. Especially after spending so much time looking at parts codes, different model bikes, etc. You wouldn't expect to have to fix and match parts from your old stuff, having to solder and all that. I am lucky to have the tools and the ability/confidence to do all that, as I'm a qualified mechanic (no longer on the tools).
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7997 on: January 04, 2021, 04:21:30 am
I've finally fitted a new mudguard stay to replace one I broke while riding off road on a road trip back in 2018, and repaired / reinforced at the time.

Adjusted the chain, lubricated the pivot points and went for my first ride of 2021.

Entering my 5th year of ownership & still really enjoy this bike.

2021 Classic 500

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #7998 on: January 05, 2021, 08:36:14 am
Hi Relic, I see you have a One Ride sticker on your bike. Where did your One Ride tour take you?

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7999 on: January 06, 2021, 04:55:45 am
This RE One Ride was back in 2019. It went from the dealership in Takapuna up around Whangaparoa and back to base. Great group of people, and a really good turn out.

I live in the Bay of Plenty, but was down in Taranaki on a camping trip the week prior. I rode up to Auckland for the "One Ride", then headed home after the event. Torrential rain all the way home... :)

I guess my unofficial One Ride was around 1,500k's in the end.
2021 Classic 500

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #8000 on: January 07, 2021, 01:13:18 am
Ah yes, torrential rain... when your motorcycle boots fill up and overflow! It's all good fun.  :)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #8001 on: January 11, 2021, 09:49:19 am
fetched my Bullet from my storage a mile away (on the way back from 'essential' shopping!) and parked it in my mancave, first time the B5 has moved in a few of months due to never ending lock-downs. Good news is, it started first time, although it took a while to self sustain and the clutch had stuck on as when I put it into gear the engine stalled, the brakes were also stuck. A few minutes sorting these out and rode home. At least now I can get up to date with the maintenance whilst in the current UK wide lock-down. just need to fetch my 700 Deauville on the next shopping trip, my Gl1200 is already at home waiting to have the sidecar refitted this week.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
Reply #8002 on: January 27, 2021, 08:52:03 pm
Rode to work and back (yes, yes, I know I'm retired but my ex employer wants me to do a load of scanning during lock-down) then this evening I cleaned some of the road cr4p off and fitted a fly screen. I realise it's not going to make a lot of difference, but until I can get hold of an Avon style nose cone fairing it'll do.
Sadly I had one of those fairings on a 500 Speed Twin Triumph back in the day - at the time I was a bum up nose down hooligan and the fairing didn't fit the boy racer image I was desperate to portray. Leather "Brando" style jacket, jeans so crusted with crud and oil they were waterproof, leather boots with a zip up the back and two straps (still Got the jacket and boots!) Everoak helmet and single thickness racing gloves, ooh I looked the part.
Later I got a '68 Triumph Bonneville with full Dunstall race kit on - brilliant until a boy racer in a souped up mini took the right hand side of the bike off. After various Hondas I am so happy to be heading back towards my British iron roots (even if it is Indian).
If all about you are panicking then you've missed something important

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #8003 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:39 pm
It being 25 degrees, I felt compelled to go out for a little ride.  OK except I've never found a way to keep my finger tips warm.  Anyone have experience mitts?  I used to have a pair of hippo hands - those were fantastic - but they're too large for a RE, and I sold them last year.  (I would have to cut a slot for bar-end mirrors.)

Stay warm

-Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8004 on: January 31, 2021, 08:44:03 pm
I have had good luck with waterproof glove covers that fit over your riding gloves as sold by Aerostitch. They do a good job of blocking wind as well as being waterproof. Plus they are very lightweight and are thin enough to stuff into your pocket or somewhere on your bike.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8005 on: February 01, 2021, 07:38:58 am
The original battery expired today. I was adjusting the clutch after lubricating the cable and, while cranking the bike to test the bite, I swear I heard a noise from under the seat area.

Naturally I suspected the worst (I have a long history with old British vehicles and their electrical "challenges") and started checking fuses, the cabling for shorts, etc.

Finding nothing amiss I removed the battery and tested it, which identified an internal fault. A local parts store had a replacement on the shelf so we're back up and riding again tomorrow  :)

I guess 4 1/2 years and 29,000k's (~18,000 miles) is not unreasonable?
2021 Classic 500

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #8006 on: February 01, 2021, 04:13:19 pm
sounds like an excellent  idea.  I just  ordered a pair.  Thanks,  - Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #8007 on: February 26, 2021, 03:36:03 am
Today I rode my brand new Redditch Red Classic 500 home from the dealer. Hoorah! It has been a four month wait but I'm very happy to have it.

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8008 on: April 03, 2021, 07:57:52 am
Big day in the workshop.
I had recently completed a five day, 1,600km (~1,000mile) ride. On the last day and a half I noticed the bike behaving differently, with the bike "surging" at times, most felt when climbing big hills.

Back home I ran a couple of compression tests; both showed 165psi on WOT which was higher than expected; possibly a decoke is required?
The spark plugs were changed (the UCE350 runs a twin plug head with two coils) and I tested the leads (both OK) yet the problem persisted.

Next suspect was the chain and / or sprockets. I had ordered a new front & rear sprocket from India with FedEx airmail, and picked up a new chain locally. Incidentally the sprockets travelled India - China - Japan - Singapore - Australia - New Zealand in under two weeks!
On strip down the front sprocket was very worn with sharp edges, the back not so bad. I hadn't touched either when replacing the OEM chain at about 10,000km's, and I'd travelled another 21,00kms on the second, Regina branded, chain.

The side cover was sealed back up and, while running the engine up and then waiting to check for leaks, I used the time to replace the front brake pads and pump fresh fluid through the master cylinder and calliper.

The test ride late this afternoon showed the bike back to its normal, much smoother, self.
The trusty 350 is now ready for it's next big adventure  :)
2021 Classic 500

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #8009 on: April 03, 2021, 10:38:44 am
Glad to hear your bike is ready for the road again. I'm clocking up the kays on mine and it will soon be ready for those longer distances. Might see you on the road.  :)