Author Topic: Boyer ignition on Bullet 500  (Read 1113 times)

Dale Ice

• Scooter
on: February 18, 2021, 07:49:42 pm
I've read that there should be a mark on the Boyer to tell when its near correct, timing-wise.
anyone have one on their bike to confirm?
Here's a pic of mine at TDC,compression stroke

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:07 pm
Here is the link to the BB Indian Bullet Ignition link ( KIT00064 ). Go there & download this PDF.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT00064.pdf

15) LINE UP THE CENTRE OF THE ROTOR MAGNETS (FIG 1.) WITH THE CENTRE LINE OF THE TWO STATOR
 COILS.TAP THE ROTOR BACK INTO ITS TAPER AND TIGHTEN THE 6mm CAPSCREW.
 RECHECK T.D.C.AND ALIGNMENT AND REPEAT IF WRONG.

These instructions appear to index the BB unit at mechanical TDC.

I BELIEVE the BB operates at TDC for starting, then advances after the engine achieves 1500 RPM or so. This is a good thing for electric start Bullets. AdrianII, Ace, BulletWhisperer I'm certain all have real experienced-based info here. I'm a points dude, I like to see it work - less voodoo and good enough for 22 Indian ponies.

Did you resolve the mechanical mystery shrapnel issues, or just decide "broke is broke" and want to see it actually run?

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:09:32 pm
Your certain your piston is at TDC on compression stroke in your photo, and from the diagram fig 1 & 2, it looks like your rotor magnets are "after TDC". Therefore looks like it is too far advanced. The magnets rotate clockwise when the cap screw is tight. I suggest setting it up following AzCal BB instructions.  I suspect your rotor magnets got loose and are too far advanced.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 01:30:52 am
When the timing cover is off it's easy to move (disturb?) the distributor gear. There are three possible sources of adjustment:
1) pull the timing chest & move the timing gear a few teeth until it's "close". There is probably +/- 20 degrees or so for each tooth.
2) The back plate is slotted, so there is maybe +/- 10 degrees there.
3) Get a $8 "contact breaker extractor" and pull the auto advance shaft off of it's taper, put it anywhere you want.
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/tools-engine/9553
PART No. 49622 ; EXTRACTOR, CONTACT BREAKER, 736 INTERCEPTOR SII & Pre-2007 INDIAN BUILT BULLETS ; £5.50
This is a simple tool, for extracting the auto advance unit in the distributor. Suitable for Pre-2007 Indian built Bullets (see ''Fitting Guide'' for details) and also for 736 INTERCEPTOR SII.

Be advised the timing contact shaft can flail around a bit due to gear train lash, so only do your adjusting in the "running" rotation direction... :o
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.