Author Topic: Cannot Get to First Gear  (Read 1382 times)

crock

• Bulleteer
on: October 14, 2020, 07:15:36 am
Sometimes when I pull up to a stop light I cannot get my 2014 C5 with 17k miles into first gear. I adjusted the clutch and that was a little help, then I added the washers to act as a spacer for the gearshift lever and that helped quite a bit. However the problem still persists, but is not as bad as before and now it only happens every fourth or fifth stop light. Even if the bike is moving, the transmission will not downshift into first gear properly. Any idea where I should be looking next?
Rocket

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 02:13:38 pm
This is fairly common with many motorcycles if you are talking about shifting from a higher gear into first after coming to a stop. If this happens, about all you can try is to reengage the clutch partway, allow the bike to roll forward a bit as you apply pressure to the gear lever and it might move into a lower gear. If you get stuck in third or fourth gear when your forward movement ends, it will usually be difficult to shift into first without first turning off the engine and then you should be able to shift into first or neutral. I believe this is due to the slight drag of the oil on the clutch plates that keeps a constant load on the clutch when it is disengaged. However, the best thing to do is to make sure that you downshift through the gears and into first before coming to a complete stop.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 07:12:17 pm
Clutch cable? When was it last changed?

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:44:58 am
The clutch cable has been changed, I am not exactly sure how long ago. What has that got to do with it?
Rocket

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:17:02 am
Just wondered if it was stretching and so you weren't fully disengaging the clutch. That's all.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 09:12:14 am
a couple of things that can effect selecting neutral
idle speed to high,
 a thicker oil or oil that has degraded and is due to be changed causing drag in the gearbox
worn clutch
clutch cable adjustment
drive chain to tight etc.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 11:58:05 am
He's not looking for neutral.
Says he can't select first gear.
Would be handy to know,
Can the gears all be easily selected without the engine running, especially first?
You would need to rock the rear wheel back and forwards to allow the gearbox dogs to line up so the gears slot home.
Off route, recalculate?

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 07:09:28 pm
I can get all the gears selected reliably when the motor is off. First gear feels notchy compared to the other gears.
Rocket

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 08:37:20 pm
Anyone care to comment on their mileage when they realized they had to replace their clutch plates?  I'm at 10.5k and our poster Crock is at 17k.  Could the problems he's experiencing not shifting into a stout first gear be the first indication that his clutch is beginning to fail. Of course we all ride differently but there must be an general mileage window for your typical short-shifting Enfield owner. How long can we expect a factory clutch to hold up?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 12:13:07 am
My first C5 had 17k miles and the clutch felt the same as it did the day I bought it.
Thats not to say that Crocks bike hasn't got a warped plate or worn basket though.
The clutches seem to be pretty robust.
Off route, recalculate?

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 09:14:28 am
Clutches seldom have been reported as problematic, other than frayed original cables, on this or other UCE forums in the five years I have followed them. My guess is that the gearchange cam plate is worn. It is significant that the situation improved  when using washers on the gear lever. This removes some of the slip on the gearchange shaft. Equally if the first gear detent is worn then gear selection will be hit and miss. Wear is most likely to occur on first gear.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 03:26:50 pm
It looks like my best bet is to inspect or replace the gear change shaft/fork under the right cover on the bike. Hopefully there is problem there. If not, it looks like the engine cases have to be split in order to access the gear selector cam plate. Not a fun job.
Rocket

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:03 pm
This video link will give you a sense of what to possibly expect, and the work involved.  Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/l3Y7zfJm-hs