Author Topic: Pinging  (Read 10366 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 10:18:33 am
Mine spends more time near the rev limiter than at low rpm's but I know what you mean. Just popping away and giving an extra bit of throttle can certainly make it ping. I have the Ace air cleaner, Motad pipe and squish mod so I guess the extra air plus raised compression might have something to do with it. Have the PC V so I can always fool about with more maps. Like I said, it's not a problem, just something I observed on a crazy hot day.

I hear you about the made for Indian conditions thing and that thinking is what makes me feel OK about riding it in such hot weather.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 11:56:32 pm
I'm not too worried about the odd tank of e10 in my bike. It would only be there for a few hours.

It's been about a year since I've checked but the only gas station closest to the Houston area that does not sell 10% ethanol fuel was over 100 miles away. So around here, every tank of gas contains ethanol.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 12:25:01 am
Every time I've checked the web for local gas stations that sell gas without alcohol in it, when I find one and go there, the only thing they have is gasohol.

There is one place that sells "racing gasoline" which is high octane and no alcohol but, they want more than an arm and a leg for each gallon.

No way will I pay that sort of price for just knowing that I don't have any alcohol in my fuel.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 06:44:32 pm
Every time I've checked the web for local gas stations that sell gas without alcohol in it, when I find one and go there, the only thing they have is gasohol.

There is one place that sells "racing gasoline" which is high octane and no alcohol but, they want more than an arm and a leg for each gallon.

No way will I pay that sort of price for just knowing that I don't have any alcohol in my fuel.

Avgas doesn't have alcohol but most airports won't sell it because they get in trouble. You aren't paying road taxes. They might go for a five gallon can. Also Avgas uses real octane ratings, not the US mishmash of numbers we see at the pump.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 08:06:34 pm
Ethanol Free gas is available at at least 2 of the Wall-Mart Murphys stations here in the Waco area at about $.30 more per gallon then regular.   I regularly fill up my GT at the one 2 miles from the house.    I wonder at the volume of sales though and how "fresh" it is and normally add Startron.    Recently saw a Chevron Techron fuel stabilizer ad and may switch.  Only infrequent "pinging" I've experienced was from "lugging" when failing to down shift!

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 10:21:19 pm
This website maintains a list of retail sellers who carry ethanol-free gasoline:  https://www.pure-gas.org/

I don't ride a 535, but I noticed some pinging on my 2012 C5 last summer, when trying to maintain 105 kph on a modest upgrade on the local expressway.  Backing off on the throttle a bit dropped my speed below 100 and resolved the issue.  I was running the standard 87 octane swill with 10% ethanol that is sold as "regular" around here and an NGK BPR6ES plug.  Never noticed pinging at any other speed or load condition, and hills are extremely scarce around here.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #21 on: December 26, 2019, 02:17:40 am
This website maintains a list of retail sellers who carry ethanol-free gasoline:  https://www.pure-gas.org/

I don't ride a 535, but I noticed some pinging on my 2012 C5 last summer, when trying to maintain 105 kph on a modest upgrade on the local expressway.  Backing off on the throttle a bit dropped my speed below 100 and resolved the issue.  I was running the standard 87 octane swill with 10% ethanol that is sold as "regular" around here and an NGK BPR6ES plug.  Never noticed pinging at any other speed or load condition, and hills are extremely scarce around here.

I've looked at this one. The only ones that aren't private trucking company pumps are more than a tankful away😒

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 01:21:54 pm
Typically pinging comes at rpms lower than torque peak(~3500) rpm. If you are cruising in top gear and you want to pass a car or something, then downshift a gear to get the rpms up first, and then it is less likely to ping.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 12:26:48 am
There's a local small airport not too far from me. For the past five or six years I have been able to pull in right up to the pumps and fill up two 5-gallon cans with no problem. All I run in my 79 Hurst/Olds
And 61 Willys Jeep wagon is Avgas LL 100. No ethanol and much longer shelf life. My hot rods are weekend rides. Maybe to and from a local car show. It's easy for a tank of gas to last five or six months if not more.

I'm not sure there would be any advantage in paying $5.50 per gallon for LL 100 just to put it in the GT.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 05:07:12 am
I've been letting the PC Autotune at it for a couple weeks now.  Damn it's running well.  It feels so good that some of the character seems to have seeped out, if that makes any sense.  If anyone's looking for a map for a 535 with ace air cleaner, Otto trumpet , Motad exhaust,  squish mod running at sea level-400 meters on 91 (that's 80something for US crew)...
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E