Author Topic: Soldering rocker oil feed pipe.  (Read 1744 times)

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
on: November 14, 2019, 08:21:56 pm
Yesterday I was trying to make one good rocker oil feed pipe from two bad ones.  I expected that melting the solder would be in an instant.  Wrong.  Has anyone ever tried that?
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 10:15:40 pm
No, but it may be hard solder. The melting point is much higher. In fact now that I think of it I would use Silver Solder which is a hard solder for that application. The melting point is high , glowing red hot.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 04:29:31 am
We have made some up from copper tube using plumbing solder and a gas torch.

One thing that we have discovered is that they can crack from vibration. If it breaks, the top end is starved of oil and seizes the rockers, which typically bends pushrods or breaks teeth off the cam gears.
Putting a short piece of rubber hose in the lower section of the line with clamps seems to stop the cracking .
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:34:38 am
We have made some up from copper tube using plumbing solder and a gas torch.

One thing that we have discovered is that they can crack from vibration. If it breaks, the top end is starved of oil and seizes the rockers, which typically bends pushrods or breaks teeth off the cam gears.
Putting a short piece of rubber hose in the lower section of the line with clamps seems to stop the cracking .
Thank you ACE.  Apparently messing with it does not make much sense.  I will get a new one from H.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 05:39:27 am by Tarnand »
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 05:10:09 pm
I replaced my copper pipes with modern flexible hosing...certainly not historically correct, but seems like a good solution since installing in 2014...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 08:12:08 pm
Thank you ACE.  Apparently messing with it does not make much sense.  I will get a new one from H.

All the ones that broke were factory oil pipes that were not modified.
The fix is to put a short piece of rubber hose with clamps in the lower(single) section to relieve the vibration from the pipe.
Home of the Fireball 535 !