Author Topic: New guy here. No questions...yet.  (Read 13992 times)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 05:15:04 am
Beardo, you've got a similar tale to mine. I originally had a 2012 C5, and while it was a beautiful bike that served me well, there was just something missing.

Eventually, I found a 2003 Bullet at the dealership where I bought my C5. She had only 2,900 miles, and was velvet green. Four speed, points, carb, drum brakes, I found what I was missing and in 2017, made either the best (or close second best) impulse purchase of my impulse buying career. This board has been exceptionally helpful, and downright friendly throughout my miscellaneous fixes. Just pulled her out of storage today, actually. Gotta be gentle for a while while I'm breaking in the new piston, but I'm looking forward to a long year of wrenching and riding.

I'm curious as to what battery you're using - I've heard stories of people switching to alarm and UPS batteries, and I see that the UB1213 seems to be a favorite among those who have gone this route. Is that the one you've got?
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 01:27:07 pm
All I did was punch in 12v 5ah into Ebay, relisted for lowest price first, and bought the lowest price alarm battery there was.

Shockingly enough, it is still holding after being in the shed with all the negative temps and no tender hooked up.

From day one, I had been fighting with shifting the bike. No clutch to be had. That fixed, the linkage just needs to go. So, that's next on the list.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #62 on: October 30, 2019, 12:46:23 am
If you have to get new friction plates, get the Barnett ones. Much better. If they are not listed for Royal Enfield, they will be listed for Greaves. Same clutch.

Great tip, Ace! Just reviving this old posting for the forthcoming benefit of winter tinkerers. Got a link?...Perhaps to our new Britnoid Overlords' domain?

Use Barnett cables too, whenever possible. They are in every respect far superior to the flakey OEM ones. They cost a bit more, but are worth every penny. Our Parts Guru in North America, Tim over at his new Western Cycle Supply, should be able to sort those out for most any Enfield. He helped square my old Iron Belly's cables away properly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:36:34 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.