Author Topic: Jerry Can  (Read 1739 times)

ioukaa

• Scooter
on: June 21, 2021, 04:43:00 pm
Does anyone use them? How do you mount yours?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 05:55:31 pm
With the 650's range of roughly 200 miles, I'm not sure why anyone might really need  a supplemental fuel can on a road bike. On a Himalayan knocking around on the TAT or somewhere out in West Texas way past Terlingua, maybe 100 miles from the nearest person, let alone gas station, sure. I get that. And they sell plenty of nice kits for it, which I'm sure could also be made to fit (and ruin the sleek look of) a 650.

But I'm not just here as a naysayer. Instead, I just wanted to pass along a tip I learned of somewhere out there in YouTubeLand: Those silvery mylar liner things used by Starbucks and others inside those cardboard "urn" things with a little spigot tap can also be used as emergency fuel or water containers, and fold up real compactly for easy storage. As well as making it so one doesn't have to shove one's bike all the way to the next pump, they can be used to more easily transfer fuel from one bike's tank to another if you're riding with a buddy who isn't running on vapors. They can also make for a handy and frugal water source for cooking or washing up at a campsite. One of those ultra-handy cargo net things (like this one  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154409237702) will hold it in place "just so" at a campsite.

Of course, you wouldn't want to ride around with one of those things filled with gas for very long, but for quick transport it should do the trick. I've actually got a few salvaged from office meetings of yore for use as handy water bladders on the sailboats. Also, about half-filled and tossed into a freezer or in one of those ice bag vending chests often found out front at many stores or marinas for an hour and a half or so while you have a nice lunch or something, and they'll lay nicely in a cooler and not make such a big drippy soggy mess of the contents as plain ice. Spread a towel over the top as extra insulation, and they'll keep that stuff within frosty even longer.

As a longer term "reserve fuel" storage solution on my little $1 Com-Pac 16 sailboat "Foundling" (see: https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=9237.0), which rocks a little 2.5 hp 2-stroke "iron wind" to push it around the docks or when becalmed, I use a rugged little quart-sized old can for TruFuel that I found somewhere or other such as shown below. It stows rather neatly into a little lazarette locker in the cockpit.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 06:13:37 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 06:42:47 pm
With the 650's range of roughly 200 miles, I'm not sure why anyone might really need  a supplemental fuel can on a road bike. On a Himalayan knocking around on the TAT or somewhere out in West Texas way past Terlingua, maybe 100 miles from the nearest person, let alone gas station, sure. I get that. And they sell plenty of nice kits for it, which I'm sure could also be made to fit (and ruin the sleek look of) a 650.

But I'm not just here as a naysayer. Instead, I just wanted to pass along a tip I learned of somewhere out there in YouTubeLand: Those silvery mylar liner things used by Starbucks and others inside those cardboard "urn" things with a little spigot tap can also be used as emergency fuel or water containers, and fold up real compactly for easy storage. As well as making it so one doesn't have to shove one's bike all the way to the next pump, they can be used to more easily transfer fuel from one bike's tank to another if you're riding with a buddy who isn't running on vapors. They can also make for a handy and frugal water source for cooking or washing up at a campsite. One of those ultra-handy cargo net things (like this one  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154409237702) will hold it in place "just so" at a campsite.

Of course, you wouldn't want to ride around with one of those things filled with gas for very long, but for quick transport it should do the trick. I've actually got a few salvaged from office meetings of yore for use as handy water bladders on the sailboats. Also, about half-filled and tossed into a freezer or in one of those ice bag vending chests often found out front at many stores or marinas for an hour and a half or so while you have a nice lunch or something, and they'll lay nicely in a cooler and not make such a big drippy soggy mess of the contents as plain ice. Spread a towel over the top as extra insulation, and they'll keep that stuff within frosty even longer.

As a longer term "reserve fuel" storage solution on my little $1 Com-Pac 16 sailboat "Foundling" (see: https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=9237.0), which rocks a little 2.5 hp 2-stroke "iron wind" to push it around the docks or when becalmed, I use a rugged little quart-sized old can for TruFuel that I found somewhere or other such as shown below. It stows rather neatly into a little lazarette locker in the cockpit.

FYI all the big box stores and anyplace that sells or repairs power equipment should have TruFuel in stock, and it's ethanol free.

Bibbage

• Bulleteer
  • England
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:16:55 pm
With the 650's range of 200 miles

Anyone else getting range close to 200miles,  I’m certainly not. Must be doing something wrong!
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Honda NC750X

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 09:09:23 pm
With the 650's range of roughly 200 miles, I'm not sure why anyone might really need  a supplemental fuel can on a road bike.
I have not yet flat out run it dry. I have gone 185 miles but nursed it for the last 40 or so.
I think the 200 mile range is a mathematical theory. I'd like to have 230 miles and still have time to pick my gas stop.
there is always the crowd favorite, RotoPax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_yP8DxVIwA&t=7s
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:12:06 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 10:58:59 pm
Anyone else getting range close to 200miles,  I’m certainly not. Must be doing something wrong!

170 miles on a GT and that was wringing the weasel (coughing on the forecourt) from topped, gentle riding with hills. 140-150 is more common for me.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 11:03:40 pm
I think l must get close to 200 from mine.

ioukaa

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 09:53:14 am
Thanks for the detailed response!!

I 100% do not get anything like 200 miles out of mine, more like 120!

The RotaPax looks great, I'll have to do some research and see if it universally mounts. Thanks1

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:40:09 am
170 miles on a GT and that was wringing the weasel (coughing on the forecourt) from topped, gentle riding with hills. 140-150 is more common for me.
I haven’t risked over 220 km.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 12:14:31 pm
I have a spreadsheet for every part of my life ... no, I'm not sharing "that" one  ;)

Edit, almost all of those kms are on mountain roads with the throttle well open.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:16:45 pm by justonemore »

ATXConti650

• Piltdowne Mann - Old Fart - New Bike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 03:42:33 pm
Thanks for the detailed response!!

I 100% do not get anything like 200 miles out of mine, more like 120!

The RotaPax looks great, I'll have to do some research and see if it universally mounts. Thanks1

I try not to push the fuel envelops and typically top up when the mystical fuel gauge show 1/2 tank. Don't keep track of my MPG or how far I have gone on any given ride. Neither of my Suzuki Savage 650 single had trip odometers so I would use a grease pencil to write down the next odometer reading with 100 miles added.

Regardless, whether using a grease pencil of fuel gauge, 100 miles is about when my butt can use a break to move the old glutes a bit.

With respect to carrying additional fuel check out YouTuber Noraly who goes by "Itchy Boots". She is currently using some sort of fuel bladder. She's riding a Honda 250 around a lot of unpaved roads in Africa (just left South Africa for Namibia) and keeps 2 canvas fuel bladders strapped on top of her gear. I don't know what they are lined with or how much fuel they carry who makes them or where she got them. However, if you are so inclines, she maintains a website where readers can look up the gear she uses.

Look her up online or via You Tube. Been posting for years on other long journeys using 2 different RE Himalayas (one in Eastern Europe and one in South America) and also on a Honda CB 500 in Northern Europe.
2019 Continental GT 650 Black Magic, 1979 Kreidler M19, 1953 Kreidler K50, 2013 Suzuki Savage 650 Single Cylinder Thumper

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:30:51 am
Whilst riding a motorcycle, no less.
That's an Alternate Universe Geico commercial for sure.

I never get lower than 1/4 full on the tank (if the fuel gauge bars are accurate) but I CAN report I am averaging 71 MPG.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 12:24:24 pm
In the future, all motorcycles will come with jerry cans as standard  :o

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57416829?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

The big worry for most people thinking about buying an electric car is how to charge the thing.

But the real question you should be asking is how you're going to refuel your petrol or diesel vehicle if you don't go electric.

That's because electric cars are going to send the petrol station business into a death spiral over the next two decades, making electric vehicles the default option for all car owners.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 09:25:15 pm
In the future, all motorcycles will come with jerry cans as standard  :o

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57416829?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
I reckon I’d be a bit nervy carrying a container of fuel with me on a bike…
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 11:15:43 pm
I reckon I’d be a bit nervy carrying a container of fuel with me on a bike…

I use to do something called the Crotona Midnight Run, which was a timed road run through up state NY. Key time was midnight on the first Saturday night with a full moon after January 1st. Many of us myself included carried a one gallon can of fuel "just in case." I never knew of anyone that had a problem because of it. But I carried mine in a back pack and was always a little concerned that a long slide down the pavement might ignite the damn thing. The better solution was to fit 5 gallon fuel tank to my DR400, which gave a me a 200 mile range.  ;)