Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 2261 times)

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
on: February 02, 2020, 02:22:21 pm
I have a pair of Mitas H02 tyres on my Bullet, they were fitted new in June last year, just before I got her.
I really don't feel all that confident in their performance, they are 350 x 19 and 300 x 19. I suppose they would be better on rough ground, going by the block tread and tough construction.
I am considering changing them for a pair of Avon roadriders, 100/90 x 19 and 90/90 x 19, are these the right size? has anyone any experience of them?
All opinions and suggestions welcome.

It's metal, it doesn't understand!

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968
Saab 9-3 Convertible, 2008
not forgetting SWMBO's Z3 2002

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:45:36 pm
Back in 2011 a Forum member in Germany with the handle "Maturin" cobbled together what looks like a fairly comprehensive list of the various rubber then available for Bullets. He hasn't posted to this Forum in many years, and his list may now be a bit out of date (for example, back then the Czech Mitas brand weren't even yet available in the USA, though nowadays they have a factory in Iowa), but it might still serve as a good jumping off point for scanning online reviews.

I'm sure other Bulleteers will be along directly with their own insights and preferences. I swapped my old Iron Cylinder's OEM Avon Speedmaster IIs for Dunlop K70s awhile back, and plan to stick with them. They certainly look the part, and have given me absolutely no cause for complaint handling or wear-wise, given my rather sedate riding style.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:49:27 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:34:24 pm
Back in 2011 a Forum member in Germany with the handle "Maturin" cobbled together what looks like a fairly comprehensive list of the various rubber then available for Bullets. He hasn't posted to this Forum in many years, and his list may now be a bit out of date (for example, back then the Czech Mitas brand weren't even yet available in the USA, though nowadays they have a factory in Iowa), but it might still serve as a good jumping off point for scanning online reviews.

I'm sure other Bulleteers will be along directly with their own insights and preferences. I swapped my old Iron Cylinder's OEM Avon Speedmaster IIs for Dunlop K70s awhile back, and plan to stick with them. They certainly look the part, and have given me absolutely no cause for complaint handling or wear-wise, given my rather sedate riding style.

That is a very good thread, giving great food for thought. However, the old crossply tyres certainly look the part, but technology moves on, I know modern tread patterns look a bit 'tribal tattoo-ish' but around here the roads and lanes are worn out, the roundabouts are in fact polished, so modern compounds and modern weird tread patterns with radial construction, must be the way to go.
I have TT100's on my Benelli, they are very good but my mate out corners me with his honda, same size, same vintage, but he has the roadriders on. Yet these are maybe not for the Bullet.
My head hurts.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:42:56 pm
3.25x 19 Avon AM26 front (stick out for the exact size, lots of places will sell 90/90x19), 100/90x19 Avon AM26 rear. Sorted.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 08:10:29 pm
Thanks Adrian, I have seen all sorts of conflicting advice regarding the size, I was under the impression a 325 x 19 was a cross ply, and a 90/90 x 19 was a radial, and they shouldn't be mixed.
Am I just being confused?

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 08:18:37 pm
That is a very good thread, giving great food for thought. However, the old crossply tyres certainly look the part, but technology moves on, I know modern tread patterns look a bit 'tribal tattoo-ish' but around here the roads and lanes are worn out, the roundabouts are in fact polished, so modern compounds and modern weird tread patterns with radial construction, must be the way to go.
I have TT100's on my Benelli, they are very good but my mate out corners me with his honda, same size, same vintage, but he has the roadriders on. Yet these are maybe not for the Bullet.
My head hurts.

I believe those Avon AM26 Roadriders are bias-ply not radials, but seem to be very highly regarded, with dogged grippiness, long wear and excellent tractability in the wet often mentioned by reviewers. I should think the last of the these characteristics might be a key selling point for one blazing around those slippy roundabouts yonder in "Old Blighty." If you search these Forums for past postings mentioning "Avon AM26", it seems many folks here concur. Our esteemed Bullet Brother "Solg" perhaps summed up the ancient Dunlop vs. Avon choice most succinctly when he wrote, "For a classic street bike look K70s. For more of a Rip Snorter go with the Avon AM26."

One thing that was repeatedly pointed out to me during my time over there in the '70s was the folly of mixing the two brands.

Addendum: The Venerable Adrian II posted whilst I was in a reverie. Considering the source, not unlike an infallible mediaeval Pope where Enfields are concerned, you can consider his advice as a canonical addendum to the Holy Book of the Service Manual.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:43:37 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 01:33:23 pm
Good job I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!

I spout garbage with the best of them, I'll have you know.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 02:28:27 am
Heidenau K34s look the part and feel great to me...stickier than the K70s.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:45:25 pm
Good job I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!

I spout garbage with the best of them, I'll have you know.

A.

Indeed Your Tappetness.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 07:35:30 pm
My Bullets are shod with Dunlop 3.50 x 19 K70's front & rear. My area has the typical Sierra-foothill twisty country tree-lined lanes, so expect leaves, sand, gravel, smatched squirrels, etc. on the pavement at all times. K70's are open enough to deal with dirt-like conditions, and speeds are usually 25-45. These seem to work fine on the occasional sections of 55-60 two-lane as well. Without serious attention to brake and suspension improvement, and with only 22 BHP (maybe) on tap, the Dunlops work well for me. The mild power allows for the K70's to function satisfactorily on the dirt fire roads too. Being both 3.50 x 19's, one tube covers all as well.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 01:21:24 pm
Can't speak to application to Bullets in size but I have the Avon Roadriders on my Bonneville and am pleased with them. Pretty much THE tire recommended for the Hinckley twins.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 02:35:58 pm
I's have to say the Dunlop K70's are the way to got, at least for me. The wear isn't the greatest for longevity but the grip is great for such a skinny tire. Plus it really is an all road tire, dirt or pavement it feels very solid and safe.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 01:35:57 am
I had Roadriders on my 2012 C5, got my 2003 with Speedmasters on, but over the winter I decided to get a set of the highly regarded K70s. No regrets at all. These tires look good, and feel great.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 07:49:03 pm
I have done a bit of research and discovered that these Mitas H02 tyres are aimed at sidecar use, in fact, Cossack Urals are mentioned more than once. No wonder they don't like being chucked about.
I have a pair of Avon Roadriders winging their way to me as I write this and will fit them asap.
So, if anyone needs a pair of hardly used Mitas H02 tyres, pm me.
Bearing in mind I'm in Devon, England.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968