Author Topic: Looking for a used Cozy Rocket sidecar for a Bullet 500  (Read 3378 times)

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
I'm located in Pennsylvania & price of a new one is not doable.

Wondering if any of you folks know of one for sale.
A fixer-upper is fine.
Wind screen and associated hardware not necessary.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 06:33:41 pm
Have you searched Craig's List? Every so often a cozy will come up on my local CL. Keep in mind if you find a combo an owner may be willing to split the pair and just sell the sidecar. Not a cozy but there's a light weight sidecar for sale on the Santa Fe / Taos New Mexico CL right now. I've looked at it and it has potential, it's a basket case with some extra parts so some assembly required. Also go to the Adventure Rider site, they have a forum called "Hack's", it's a very active sidecar forum and those guys are always posting what's up for sale all over the country, maybe that will pan out for you. Good luck!

https://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/d/el-prado-final-reduction-inder/7427442294.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:38:32 pm by Karl Childers »

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 12:43:19 pm
Also go to the Adventure Rider site, they have a forum called "Hack's"

Found it!...That looks like a great resource...Thanks for that info.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/hacks-related-cl-ebay-other-finds-of-interest-not-flea-market-no-inmate-ads-allowed.492526/page-1086

So far as Craigslist & E-bay go, I've got those two covered.
There seem to be a lot of rocket knock-offs posted but I'm unsure about quality.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 03:05:18 pm
One more option for you if you have welding and fabricating skills, go the build it yourself route. I built the sidecar chassis for the Harley rig I posted here using parts from Claude Stanley Motorsports. Claude's is probably one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to any aspect of sidecars. He sells complete sidecars, that he builds, he can custom make just about anything you'd want and if you drop your bike off he'll do a turnkey build and installation. In my case Claude was willing to send me the parts to build my own along with one of his reproduction tubs in rough form that I finished out and painted. I ended up with a pretty nice rig for about 1/3 the price of a new one. He's located in Pennsylvania so he may not be that far from you, give him a call if nothing else he may have a line on a used Cozy that you're looking for.

http://www.freedomsidecars.com/

[/img]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:14:34 pm by Karl Childers »

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 02:56:52 pm
I have a C5+Cozy.  I love it and am not selling it.  But if you are in eastern PA and have never ridden in this outfit and would like to experience it and don't mind driving to Westchester County NY, then come by sometime.

Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 11:13:59 am
Have you look at a VELOREX sidecar? They are a much better sidecar in my opinion and they come with a brake on the sidecar where the Cozy doesn’t even offer that as a option. A brake on the sidecar really is needed for the handling and very important if you have to make a very quick stop.

https://www.velorexusa.com/

I’ve been riding sidecars for decades. I own a factory MUZ Silver Star Gesponnie that came with a Velorex and two BMWs with EML sidecars.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 02:20:12 pm
You will find a lot of debate on whether or whether not to have a brake on the sidecar I've done it both ways, the picture of my Harley shows an upgrade to dual discs but one pot calipers, shortly after that picture I upgraded to four pot calipers and had all the stopping power I needed without a brake on the chair. I did see speeds up to 90 mph on that rig. If I were mounting a Cozy or Velorex on a drum brake Enfield that I was going to drive in modern traffic I would definitely want that third brake. I have no experience with Cozy's but I do agree that Velorex made a nice sidecar and should also be a consideration.

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 07:42:52 pm
Dad's set on a Rocket.
It has the look he likes.

Driving will all be back roads & the speed will likely not exceed 45mph.
However, a chair brake would be nice. (not sure how to plumb those in with mechanical drums)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 11:53:49 pm
See how it goes first without it under those conditions you may be alright, the Cozy is fairly light if not weighted. If you do need the third brake the axle stub can be changed out to adapt nearly any wheel / brake combo. It would require machining a new axle stub* for the wheel of your choice, either a hub brake with mechanical linkage or a hydraulic disc brake. Either can be Siamesed with your rear brake pedal to activate it, a disc would probably be easiest and all of this could be sourced from an MC wrecking yard.

For this you would want to farm it out to a qualified machinist and if the axle is weld on not bolt in it's a job for a certified welder. Claude Stanley of Freedom Sidecars supplied me with the stub and swing arm for my wheel I just had to weld it in.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 01:43:42 pm
Dad's set on a Rocket.
It has the look he likes.

Driving will all be back roads & the speed will likely not exceed 45mph.
However, a chair brake would be nice. (not sure how to plumb those in with mechanical drums)

If someone pulls out in front of you at 35-45 mph and you clamp down hard on all the brakes on the bike with no sidecar brake. Because of the weight that sidecar will come around and you will have a very good chance of flipping the bike.

If you don’t believe me try it after you get it set up before you have you Dad ride it.  It’s your choice. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 02:01:12 pm by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue