Author Topic: 350 UCE speed , comfort  (Read 2190 times)

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
on: January 19, 2019, 03:44:32 am
I know this is a contradiction in terms, but my little 350 seems to smooth out at 110kph and is quite pleasant go ride. There are a few vibes on the way up to there however. I would like to get this smoothness a bit lower down. Has anybody actually put a smaller front sprocket on one. If I can get this smoothness at 95/100 kph I'd be a very happy boy.     Also, has anybody installed alloy ( motocross style) twin wall bars to eliminate the bar vibes. regards,
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:29 am
I think they are a bit smoother because they run the 500 crank or something like that. when I had the 350 it was pretty good to ride
as to the vibration what I would be chasing is the jettin 15oz weight per side. these can be picked up from vespa scooter outlets as I believe they carried them to smooth out the vespas
I actually run them on my 500 with foam grips and they work pretty good

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:59:52 pm
How many km's has your bike travelled? My Classic 350 has got progressively smoother as the km's increased, and I really don't notice vibrations at all now through the bars or the pegs at open road speeds in the 90 - 110 range (I'm currently at 16,000). My understanding is that the 350 is slightly shorter geared than the 500, and I'm not aware of a smaller sprocket to gear the bike down any lower. If the bar vibes are too much to tolerate then go with the foam grips suggested by Wildbill. Have you checked all engine to frame mounts? My biggest comfort issue was the original seat now replaced by a Lycette saddle, and that has made a huge difference on long rides.
2021 Classic 500

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:30:43 am
The bike has around 7500 k's on it ( 4700 miles). I obtained it second hand so can't qualify how it was ridden previously. I have not been flogging the daylights out of it, but have been riding it hard on 100 mile rides. It is seeming to smooth out a bit more as time progresses.  I'll give the bar end weights a look at and keep at it for another few thousand K's to see if it smooths out a bit more. I've seen complete motor/ gearbox units for sale cheap, so if I blow the motor it wont be too painful to drop another in. I ride a slightly modified can am F3 roadster as well, so I can get my serious jollies from that, although I am getting quite taken with the 350.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:13:33 am
lets talk vibration.....some vibrate and some REALLY VIBRATE!
lets say you ride it 20 miles and get off the bike and your hands are sort of numb and tingling badly.
in other words you had to stop because you were near in pain.....well that's what my very first c5 chrome was like
if that's your bike.,...sell it! if its not that bad or no-where near that bad go for the foam grips, heavy bar ends and gel inserted gloves to ease the pain.
Oh the pain! the pain!....LOL

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:03 am
Nowhere near that bad sport.  I find if I grip the handlebars very tight it does fade, but it doesn't do the arthritic hands any good after a while. I'll persevere and ride it at 110kph everywhere.....lol.....regards,

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 04:31:05 am
in that case i'd go for the foam grips and heavier bar end weights.
speaking from past experience as I once had a new white uce 350 in carby - I think your pushing for trouble if you do the 110k cruises and in time the engine may collapse.
110 kph is more in the 500 territory than a 350 and i'm not sure how long they would handle it either.
ive had a couple of 500's shit themselves well under 110 kph
if mine and your there for the long haul i'd stick to say more like 95 kph max -but then again I could be wrong too...lol

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:47:43 am
I just did a test ride on a 500  injected/abs model and it was very different around town. Still a bit buzzy on the freeway, but a lot more get up and go in the burbs. Once the twins are out there, should be a few 500 trade ins around and I might upgrade then, if you'd call it an upgrade.