Author Topic: Steel braided brake lines and ABS  (Read 1388 times)

McBob

• Scooter
on: December 29, 2020, 01:15:08 pm
Hello,

I was toying with the idea of fitting steel braided brake lines to my Classic 500. She has ABS, and I've learned that we
should be looking forward to four lines, two that go from the handlebar to the ABS modulator, and two that go from said
modulator to the calipers. Costs aside (remember, we're toying with the idea), I've read around and found some
references that warned about a possible need to "recalibrate" - if such a thing even exists - the modulator.

As far as your experience / knowledge (both exceeding mine) goes, is it true?

Also, would it feasible / worthy to replace (as in the pre-ABS days) just the lines going from the modulator to the
calipers?

Last question: even if the whole operation was feasible / worthy, I've seen that providers of custom lines equip them
with just two of those rubber thingies that go into the clips securing the line to the bike frame. But they would add
a third rubber thingy if asked and paid for, wouldn't they?

Sorry about all the questions, but few things are more annoying that myself toying with ideas.

Cheers,
Rob

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 07:44:26 pm
Braided lines... personally, I like them but there's no real reason to fit them unless your existing lines are giving you a squishy feeling when braking hard (at which stage the rear wheel will be rising!).
Also personally, I'd have no interest in keeping an ABS unit.
Recalibrate the ABS? It senses if the wheel is locked - can't see any calibration involved.
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:30:27 pm
Braided lines... personally, I like them but there's no real reason to fit them unless your existing lines are giving you a squishy feeling when braking hard (at which stage the rear wheel will be rising!).
Also personally, I'd have no interest in keeping an ABS unit.
Recalibrate the ABS? It senses if the wheel is locked - can't see any calibration involved.

Possibly, changing the force of the off/on braking pulses, once the sensor detects the wheel locking? Be surprised if braided lines made enough difference to require that.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:01 pm
Yes, after a complete change of Brake lines or even after every 2-3 normal Brake fluid changes (at least, better every time) the ABS has to be recalibrated. The dealer can do that with his OBD Analyzer.
https://g-homeserver.com/showthread.php?t=400
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:47:06 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
www.enfieldtech.de