Author Topic: Washington State Bullet owners?  (Read 348613 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #1365 on: May 16, 2019, 05:25:10 pm
Just a reminder the Get Together date of the 18th is this Saturday.  :o The weather is calling for "Cloudy-no rain" that's pretty good for this week!  8)

All Enfielders, and the "Enfield-Curious", as well as any vehicle of choice are welcome.  :)

Potential ride after to be determined.  ::)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1366 on: May 16, 2019, 05:37:21 pm
We had super weather here in Portland for the past two weeks and I was really excited thinking this might be the best weather we've ever had.  "Cloudy no rain" is what I should have known was coming.  I've lived here long enough, I should know better.  Still excited :)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1367 on: May 17, 2019, 03:05:37 pm
Current weather report calls for 71 degrees, NO (0%) chance of rain, with clouds. A glorious NW day!  8)

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1368 on: May 18, 2019, 04:17:20 pm
We have been upgraded to "Partly cloudy"!  :)

Am looking at bright sushine now. I had a feeling Mr. Sun might show up. Stayed up late polishing Bholenath just in case...  ::)

Don't forget to bring a hat, we have outdoor seating (next to the bikes).  8)

Should be nice ride from Portland Scotty, see you soon!  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1369 on: May 19, 2019, 08:01:51 am
So if you didn't hear, I broke down in Seattle. I just came out of the new tunnel and the bike was stalling at idle in traffic.  I was blipping it, and I restarted it a few times, then it totally died.  No lights, no gauges, no fuel pump, nada!

I was stopped at a light right by the stadium so just pushed it to the corner and broke out the tools. Fuses all good, no loose connections, battery terminals clean, I went through all the basics but it was still dead.

I frantically texted and called everyone I could think of but no one was able to help, so I called  my insurance roadside assistance.  I figured they wouldn't tow me to portland, so if a jump start didn't do it, I'd get it to a garage and come get it next weekend.

Shockingly to me, the insurance agent, the tow dispatcher and the tow driver i was covered to get towed all the way home.  The driver, Don, rides and so the dispatcher gives him all the bikes.  He was there quickly and we were loaded and gone.

Four hours of great conversation and music later I'm home.  I have Don a tip and took a quick look at the bike.  The battery is reading 12.9V.  I suspect either regulator/rectifier or ignition switch. 

But right now I'm hungry and smell like a row truck, so I'll deal with that later.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:04:54 am by Ducati Scotty »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1370 on: May 19, 2019, 11:55:18 pm
I sure hope you didn't accidentally bump the Kill switch while you were trying to restart it.  If you did, you wouldn't be the first to do it.  8)

First things first though.  Check out the little black ground wire that is attached to the big black ground wire that attaches to the negative terminal on the battery.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1371 on: May 20, 2019, 04:47:12 pm
Sorry you had problems Scotty, but it sounds like you did have a big adventure anyway. I've heard it said that breakdowns are where the adventure begins! Lol!  ;D Do keep us posted as to what the problem was when you find it..."inquiring minds want to know"!  ::)

Thanks again for coming up this year, I'm really glad you had such incredible coverage to get you home. What insurance company do you have anyway?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1372 on: May 21, 2019, 01:03:36 am
Yeah, not sure what's up yet.  It doesn't appear to be a dead battery.  There is a common failure on SV650s at a junction of the ignition switch connector that I'll be looking for, it fits the symptoms perfectly.  I'll be sure to let you all know what happened once I figure it out.

I have Progressive Insurance.  I think I remember checking the box for extended towing, but maybe that was my other insurance for my car?  I dunno.  They said I was covered, but I'm keeping one eye open for a bill in the mail for the next month or two in case that was a mistake.  Hard to believe I was covered for 185 miles.  Fingers crossed!  Even if I end up having to pay, the three rain storms we passed through on the way home are going to make paying that bill a lot easier to swallow.

And since I didn't mention it in the last post, a great gathering as always!  A few new faces too which is always welcome.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1373 on: May 27, 2019, 03:06:37 am
I removed the ignition switch and checked it, totally fine.  The battery that measured 12.9V the other day is now down below 1V.  Think I found the problem.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1374 on: May 28, 2019, 05:28:38 am
It's alive!  Alive!

I took the ignition switch out to test it and when I put it back in there were some faint signs of life.  The gauges came up but the relays and fuel pump barely fluttered, the lights were not visible.  I found a battery today and as soon as I put it in, she fired right up.  Checked the voltage while running.  It went up to about 17V for maybe 20 seconds right after it started and then settled down to 14.5V.  Dead battery, simple as that.

That said, I should go and hook up my little LED volt meter sometime soon.  I had it on the top triple tree on the Enfield and really liked it.  It might have saved me all this trouble.

Scott

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1375 on: May 28, 2019, 10:01:29 pm
Glad you found the problem Scotty!  8) I would bet that dead/weak battery is the #1 cause of motorcycle breakdown, even more than punctures...at least on computer controlled bikes. ::)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1376 on: April 10, 2020, 03:55:25 am
So I think this is about the time of year we usually start making plans for the Seattle get together.  I’m pretty sure that won’t be happening this year, at least not at the usual time.  Perhaps things will be better and we can get together in late summer or early fall.

For now, I hope you’re all healthy and taking good care of your family and loved ones.  I hope I’ll see you all again soon!

Scott

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #1377 on: September 08, 2020, 11:47:45 am
Anyone in Southwest Washington want to go for a Royal Enfield ride this coming Saturday the 12th? I’m thinking east from Vancouver, WA on HWY 14 to a left on HWY 141 to BZ Corner then right on to BZ Glenwood HWY to Glenwood. Then right onto Main St in Glenwood to Goldendale all the way to the Y at HWY 142 when we will take a right to Klickitat this we will take all the way to Lyle then a right onto HWY 14 all the way back to Vancouver. I call it the Glenwood Klickitat Canyon  loop. It’s about a 178 mile loop from Vancouver from what I remember.  I will probably be riding my Pegasus. Anyone want to
join me, PM or email me if interested. 

I also posted this in Trip/Ride reports.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:15:54 pm by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #1378 on: September 16, 2020, 11:59:22 pm
Seattle here. I'll be rolling out Sunday early AM to Snoqualmie where the VME is having a dual sport/"enduro" ride.

I've never been on this ride before, but feel fairly confident my bike will do the job. I'm excited to get it out on a capital-R RIDE--in the month I've owned it it's only been a runabout, about 500 miles worth.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1379 on: September 17, 2020, 05:07:21 pm
Nonfiction - Nice job on your ride! Is that the BSA scrambler seat? Is it comfortable for 3-4 hours? - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.