Author Topic: The '08 AVL Needs A Different Look  (Read 38745 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 10, 2019, 07:05:02 pm
                      I decided a few weeks ago that I was bored with the wrapped exhaust. I still like wrapped exhausts, but I just got bored which is par for the course for an 81 y.o. Type A trapped in a Type D body, obsessive modifier who can't ride much any more (pretty crippled up,, don'tcha know? :) ).

So yesterday I pulled the exhaust off. This morning I finished Phase 1. Removed all the wrap, wore the chrome on the pipe down to a tooth with a powered wire brush, took the shine off the muffler with Scotch Brite pad. The Eastwood black on the muffler is really attached well and very tough as rattle can paint goes and my back and hands are wrecked for the day :( :( The worst part was getting the two narrow SS hose clamps at the engine end cut off with a cut-off wheel. They would NOT unscrew - paint + heat.

All this took just long enough to listen to both Blood On The Tracks and Bringin' It All Back Home on the record player machine which was just right pain-meterwise  :)

I should have put the Before picture first. Oh, well.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:49:15 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 11:43:38 pm
Looks superb! Those AVLs really are pretty engines, ain't they?...almost worth the sketchier parts availability as the price of admission.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:01:16 am
Nice looking bike!
Clean!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:20:41 pm
And, every RE owner needs an old B&D workmate...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:26:03 pm
Got mine!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:27:59 pm
            Finally got a round tuit this afternoon. Phase 2 I guess we'll call it. Three coats half hour apart.

The paint in this this can seems more flat than satin even though the can says satin. I may write (with a picture) to Eastwoods. Might get a free can :)

PS: Had to use the rake because when you need a dowel you need a dowel  :)   

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 02:15:02 am
My bud from Santa Fe asked me to mod his head a bit. After watching several youtube vids of "On yer Bike" the one that grabbed me is of his IB head cleanup.

His comments were spot on about horrible castings and "they must have trimmed it with an axe"  :)
Noting that I have the tools needed for a decent cleanup I'm giving it a go.
Before:

In progress:

Tools used so far:

Didn't realize just HOW MUCH there is to clean up!  :o
More pics later.  :)

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:17:14 am
And, tooseevee that's looking great! Another improvement on an already beautiful bike!  ;D
'12 C5 Classic

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:04:13 am
Now of course you run into that little issue of our Indian friends' love of powder-coating the AVL heads and barrels. So once you have ground and polished away the all the casting marks, you will be left with shiny bits sticking out against the 10+ year old powder coated finish of the rest of it.

Chemical stripping and vapor blasting will be needed to get back to bare alumin(i)um. After that, you can polish the edges of the fins.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 10:59:18 am

Before:

In progress:

Sorry, but I can't see any difference?
Could you explain what you've done please?

Frank

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:22 am
Sorry, WIP was the same pic.This is the correct one:
'12 C5 Classic

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 11:40:22 am
So far no chem stripping needed until I have to get in between the fins, maybe.
Vapor blasting is definitely in the plan, though.
Not sure if anything can be done about the pitting, but at least the flashings will be removed and the fin edges flattened.
After that, it's a toss up whether to alodyne or paint. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:43:44 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 11:53:20 am
Sorry, WIP was the same pic.This is the correct one:

That's better - Thanks!

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 11:58:37 am
Sorry, but I can't see any difference?
Could you explain what you've done please?

Frank

He's a lonnng way from finished. Give it a chance :)[/img]

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 12:05:30 pm
My bud from Santa Fe asked me to mod his head a bit. After watching several youtube vids of "On yer Bike" the one that grabbed me is of his IB head cleanup.

His comments were spot on about horrible castings and "they must have trimmed it with an axe"  :)
Noting that I have the tools needed for a decent cleanup I'm giving it a go.

I watched that one along with quite a few others. Those guys are a trip :D ;) :) ;D

I just don't have the hands (or any other joints) any more to start anything like that although I'd like to. Just doing what I did yesterday was a killer and now I think I'm going to have to respray. I don't think I like the totally flat look and I'm writing Eastwoods about it. The can says Satin and no way is it satin.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:25:58 pm by tooseevee »