Author Topic: Classic 500 continues to impress  (Read 1001 times)

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
on: March 05, 2024, 03:07:32 am
The other day my wife asked me to give her a ride on the bike. This is the second time in four years  she has ridden on the back. It  took a bit to take the rack off and put the pillion seat on.  Anyway she wanted me to take her to a friends.  She failed to inform me that some sections of the road were gravel wash board roads. Man that took me by surprise and made me a bit tense. A bridge we were supposed to cross was closed so I had to ride about 7 miles on the highway to the next exit.

This bike ran like a champ. Handling the various terrain and getting up to 55 and 60 mph two up. I am 220 and i think my wife is about 150. Impressive as the bike didn't struggle to easily make power and speed.

While it's not a speed demon it definitely held it's own. Finally arrived home after a couple of hours.  Forgot to bump up the rear hagon shocks    to handle the extra weight.  Shocks never bottomed out but the ride would have been much better with added tension 

I am still considering an interceptor but in the meantime the classic can still suffice.  Big grins!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 03:10:54 am by Silverback »
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

joestrummer

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 06:55:49 am
I've never had a passenger since I have a solo seat, but big grins too every time I ride my 2012 C5.

Which Hagon shocks do you have on your bike?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 07:28:23 am
Hagon Road & Classic Shocks black on black

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 01:49:42 pm
The 500 UCE engine is an impressive powerhouse. By no means fast, it's got plenty of torque. Back when I was doing longer distance riding through the Andes my Thunderbird would haul my (at the time) 270 lb person and my gear (probably at least another 70 pounds or so) with aplomb.  Roads of variable "quality" were never an issue either.  I REALLY need to find a good reason to get out and put some more longer range rides in. It's been too long.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

joestrummer

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 04:06:56 pm
Hagon Road & Classic Shocks black on black

Roger. Thanks

Grumpy Rider

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 04:57:54 pm
I ride with my wife on pillion regularly and neither of us are lightweight!, riding where this machine is at home on the uk A & B roads up to 60-65MPH (occasionally 70) with more smiles per mile than some other bikes Ive owned, I made a front seat to fit where the rear pillion pad was using the bikes original mounting points so its reversable, which has made it much more comfotable for my wife.
I can't recall ever bottoming out on the suspension either, and some of the so called B roads we've been on were little more than cart tracks

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 05:11:09 pm
Boy mine tops out at 70.  No way could it get that two up.  Seems to run great, not missing.  Pulls strong to about 50-55, but gains very slow after that.  I was riding solo.

What octane do you guys run in yours?  I am using 87 with this low compression engine.
Retired Air Traffic Controller
Current bikes are
2014 HD Ultra Classic (couch rocket)
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Grumpy Rider

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 05:30:39 pm
Boy mine tops out at 70.  No way could it get that two up.  Seems to run great, not missing.  Pulls strong to about 50-55, but gains very slow after that.  I was riding solo.

What octane do you guys run in yours?  I am using 87 with this low compression engine.

its no pocket rocket thats for sure and pulls strong as does yours to 55 -60MPH and slower after that, will go to a higher indicated speed than 70MPH, but we are into unreliable speedo territory at that point, Its filled with UK standard 95 octane unleaded. the bike is a 2019 c5 with booster plug, DNA filter & goldstar silencer.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 06:27:41 pm

One ride down on the eastern plains I ran it to a 140k/h indicated speed. If I recall correctly the GPS type app I had on my phone at the time gave me a top speed of 135 or so k/h. But this engine seems most comfortable around 80-90 k/h - 50-55 mph. It'll go higher, but you can tell "it ain't happy".  You'd be amazed at what it can do, it's got the torque to pull some impressive weight, just doesn't have the horses to do it quickly.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 04:22:48 am

I am running cheapest unleaded.   So I think it's about the same as yours

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 04:23:54 am
The 500 UCE engine is an impressive powerhouse. By no means fast, it's got plenty of torque. Back when I was doing longer distance riding through the Andes my Thunderbird would haul my (at the time) 270 lb person and my gear (probably at least another 70 pounds or so) with aplomb.  Roads of variable "quality" were never an issue either.  I REALLY need to find a good reason to get out and put some more longer range rides in. It's been too long.

The mods you have done probably give it a bit more breath at the top end.  I might try higher octane to see if it helps any.
Current bikes are

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 04:24:39 am
I ride with my wife on pillion regularly and neither of us are lightweight!, riding where this machine is at home on the uk A & B roads up to 60-65MPH (occasionally 70) with more smiles per mile than some other bikes Ive owned, I made a front seat to fit where the rear pillion pad was using the bikes original mounting points so its reversable, which has made it much more comfotable for my wife.
I can't recall ever bottoming out on the suspension either, and some of the so called B roads we've been on were little more than cart tracks

Do you have a pick  of your seat setup?

I have been recently been 5hinking about sitting a bullet seat for more comfort.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 04:26:49 am
The mods you have done probably give it a bit more breath at the top end.  I might try higher octane to see if it helps any.

I switches to carb conversation. Still running it a bit.lean. I think the EFI system is even leaner so it does rob some power.

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 04:35:39 am
Thats the same thing we encounter on our Harleys.  Factory tunes are lean, and run hot.

Any aftermarket tunes available for these?
Current bikes are

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 04:45:14 am
This is off topic, and I apologize in advance, but I have tried several time to start a new topic, and my screen goes to blank.  On the third it says I have already posted but nothing shows.

Is there a time delay?
Current bikes are

danketchpel

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 03:24:31 am
Thats the same thing we encounter on our Harleys.  Factory tunes are lean, and run hot.

Any aftermarket tunes available for these?

I have the Dobeck EFI tuner on my 2012 C5. I made a few adjustments after installing the free flow header pipe and silencer from Hitchcocks and a Sprint air filter. It runs strong now no hint of lean running.

https://www.electronicjetkit.com/Cruiser/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=9110036
2020 RE Intercepter 650
2012 RE Classic 500
2021 Guzzi V7 850 Special
2019 Kawi Z900RS
2016 Bonneville T-120
Plus some ADV/Scrambler/Dual Sport bikes

Grumpy Rider

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 04:57:38 pm

Do you have a pick  of your seat setup?

I have been recently been 5hinking about sitting a bullet seat for more comfort.

https://youtu.be/j898WAets_g

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 05:51:46 pm
That video has given me an idea for my seat/top box rack setup.  Nice work.

Was there no sound on that video?  I do not hear anything from it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:58:25 pm by Handirifle »
Current bikes are

Nurserynik

• Neophyte
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 03:37:32 am
I have the Dobeck EFI tuner on my 2012 C5. I made a few adjustments after installing the free flow header pipe and silencer from Hitchcocks and a Sprint air filter. It runs strong now no hint of lean running.

https://www.electronicjetkit.com/Cruiser/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=9110036
How does it perform?
It seems a lot cheaper than a power commander.

Grumpy Rider

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 14, 2024, 08:09:57 pm
That video has given me an idea for my seat/top box rack setup.  Nice work.

Was there no sound on that video?  I do not hear anything from it.
thank you, glad it was of some help, no sound on as it wasn't needed, they were just photos which I took for someone else to see what the seat looked like

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: March 25, 2024, 04:37:26 pm
more praise for motor: My 2009 C5 has about 20K miles.  Half with a sidecar.  Sill runs great, with plenty of torque.
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2024, 05:07:34 pm
https://youtu.be/j898WAets_g

I have been thinking about setting up something similar to attach to the oem rear rack.  I plan to use the original seat with springs added.   I want to make it removable so I can take it off with ease.  This way I can use the rack regularly then quickly bolt on pillion when needed. 

I am still considering a lycett seat but in the meantime this would be a cheaper alternative.

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2024, 05:12:23 pm
I have been thinking about setting up something similar to attach to the oem rear rack.  I plan to use the original seat with springs added.   I want to make it removable so I can take it off with ease.  This way I can use the rack regularly then quickly bolt on pillion when needed. 

I am still considering a lycett seat but in the meantime this would be a cheaper alternative.

I give a complete description of how I made my rear seat quick detach, from the OEM pillion frame.  Might not help with attaching to a rack.  I have a top box and attachment bracket that will replace the seat when needed.  Its a slow progress but hope to get it on video soon to make iteasier to see how it works.
Current bikes are