Author Topic: Brown Oil  (Read 1490 times)

TomJohnston

• Scooter
on: January 04, 2021, 07:29:21 pm
Never saw this before. 2014 C5 10k miles. Serviced religiously. Driving fewer miles at a time and not getting the engine as hot as I probably should. Currently riding in 30 to 40 degree weather.
This oil change was not black like it has always been till now. It's chocolate brown, like coffee with a couple shots of milk.
The spark plug is fowled with soot and the exhaust(standard catalitic muffler) is also carbon coated.
Runs good at full throttle but misses a little while cruising.
Summed up:
Black spark plug
Black tail pipe
 "Brown" oil
Sporadic miss, but okay at full or half throttle.
Any idea as to what's going on??

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 09:39:43 pm
Usually, a sooty plug means you are running rich. Is your air filter plugged up?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 10:08:29 pm
Brown oil means there is water in the oil, likely caused by condensation due to not getting the engine hot enough to vaporize the water out of the engine. This can happen even to air-cooled engines if they are not ridden long enough and stored in a cooled and damp environment.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 02:10:37 am
Brown oil means there is water in the oil, likely caused by condensation due to not getting the engine hot enough to vaporize the water out of the engine. This can happen even to air-cooled engines if they are not ridden long enough and stored in a cooled and damp environment.

Yep. Sounds like it needs an oil change and a wog tune.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 03:25:08 am
Yep. Sounds like it needs an oil change and a wog tune.

Tom: As you appear from your profile to hail from Pennsylvania, perhaps one should clarify that "wog tune" is the Australian equivalent of our North American "Italian Tuneup" (or, rather more potentially derogatorily, "Wop Tuneup"), as helpfully described on Wikipedia here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup.

Please be advised that whereas "wog" in Oz may be a fairly neutral slang term describing those of a "Mediterranean" cast, such as Greeks or Italians, in Britain those could be "fightin' words". So, best not to stumble out of a pub in, say, Nottingham bellowing, "I could really go for some wog food!", or you might well discover a "knuckle sandwich" on the menu instead.

But yeah, change the oil and filter, clean up, or perhaps replace the spark plug, take that thing for a nice long "spirited" ride, and, as they say in the Haynes manuals, "observe effect on performance".
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:38:57 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 08:14:50 am

Plus one,
Definitely water issue with brown oil and some milk, some call it yogurt in the oil. I let my motor warm up for at lest five to six minutes before riding, then I do at lest ten miles of riding before I shut it off.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 05:53:11 pm
Thanks to all. I was afraid I might have a electrical or computer problem.
A long ride is on the schedule.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 06:52:45 pm
If there's moisture in the oil, there's a very good chance you have water in your gas as well, thanks to Ethanol.  I suggest you replace that before your long ride and add some fuel injector cleaner as directed. I use Techron from Mobil and I'm pleased with the results.  Good luck.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:11 pm
Riding this time of year, at least in my area, can mean cold humid days.  If you can see your breath, the likelihood of crankcase condensation and vapor in your exhaust, increases.  In both places, the water will be driven off by extended running at higher temperature, and can cause problems if allowed to persist.

This has to do with the dew point relative to the ambient temperature, and is not simply due to low temperatures.  Low temperatures with low humidity are much less problematic, although water is always produced when burning petrol.  Google, "Fog", if you want more technical discussion.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 11:04:55 pm
Well that can be caused by short journeys and moister in the oil, l used to get that on my BMW GS 650, a lot of people get the same issues on cars, give your bike a good service including the carb and plug that should cure these issues smell the oil for any petrol as well.